Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Jan 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3355560)   #1
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The turner Z4 is a simple Z4 GT3 with a spec rear wing, am I right? why is allowed to run unrestricted?
Old 18 Jan 2014, 11:31 (Ref:3355562)   #2
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
The turner Z4 is a simple Z4 GT3 with a spec rear wing, am I right? why is allowed to run unrestricted?
The Z4 has never been fast in a straight line, and the GTD car has none of the electronic driver aids of the regular GT3 car.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 12:02 (Ref:3355572)   #3
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not hard to see why the GT America is the most abundant GTD car. You can never go wrong with the "baseline" that every other car is BOP'ed to. Shame about all those unused GAGT 997's though, they were literally narrow-bodied RSR's.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3355587)   #4
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT America is merely an upgrade pack for cup cars, 2/3 the price of the cheapest gt3 to retain ALMS GTC teams in the game.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 16:12 (Ref:3355641)   #5
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This was a question I that I have been thinking about a lot recently, and I was wondering what you guys thought. If you had to rank all of the driver lineups in the Rolex 24 for this year, what would your Top 20 list look like. I keep ending up with a heavy bias on GTLM, though I could be well off the mark. One thing I will say is that the Rolex 24 is a race that favors the car over the drivers. Here is mine:

1. GTLM - 911 Porsche North America
2. GTLM - 62 Risi Competizione
3. GTLM - 3 Corvette Racing
4. GTLM - 912 Porsche North America
5. GTLM - 56 BMW Team RLL
6. P - 02 Chip Ganassi Racing
7. GTLM - 55 BMW Team RLL
8. GTLM - 4 Corvette Racing
9. GTLM - 91 SRT Motorsports
10. GTLM - 97 Aston Martin Racing
11. P - 6 Muscle Milk Pickett Racing
12. P - 90 Spirit of Daytona
13. P - 1 Extreme Speed Motorsports
14. P - 01 Chip Ganassi Racing
15. P - 5 Action Express Racing
16. GTLM - 93 SRT Motorsports
17. P - 10 Wayne Taylor Racing
18. P - 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing
19. P - 60 Michael Shank Racing
20. P - 0 DeltaWing Racing Cars

In the AM classes my top 10 are

1. GTD - 33 Riley Motorsports
2. GTD - 23 Alex Job Racing / Team Seattle
3. GTD - 48 Paul Miller Racing
4. PC - 8 Starworks Motorsports
5. GTD - 27 Dempsey Racing
6. GTD - 58 Snow Racing
7. GTD - 63 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari
8. PC - 08 RSR Racing
9. GTD - 94 Turner Motorsports
10. GTD - 44 Magnus Racing
Old 18 Jan 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3355677)   #6
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
These changes are likely all just temporary, there is another Sebring test in February. After that expect some new bop updates.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 00:45 (Ref:3355748)   #7
Jack Spratt
Rookie

Jack Spratt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
These changes are likely all just temporary, there is another Sebring test in February. After that expect some new bop updates.
Of course, that was always the plan. Daytona first then adjust for a proper road course.

The normal, race to race BoP is primarily based on an average of the 20 fastest race laps although, once again, Daytona is an animal unto itself. I don't mind the concept of a BoP as long as it is applied fairly and to everyone. As it stands and has been discussed ad finitum since the announcement, it is virtually impossible to balance the DP's against the P2's. Apples, oranges.

My major concern is that some form of parity is achieved between the two but more importantly that the DP's are matched equally amongst themselves and likewise the P2's. Without that parity it smacks of favoritism and I hope that never rears its ugly head.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 21:21 (Ref:3355699)   #8
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daytona is a special track that rewards horsepower and higher rpms. I knew there would be a bop headache at daytona and same for sebring but not to the same effect of daytona.after sebring I expect bops from race to race but only very minimal changes from track to track.

So last year after bops everyone knew the bmw engines were clear winners, so with bop so far who is the clear winner.if anyone can tell from bops yet?i don't see a clear winner but I feel like a corvette dp will take it, if the fords last maybe they wil have a chance.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 22:43 (Ref:3355724)   #9
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd never count out Ganassi---the only time he has lost recently was when his tranny packed it with a few hours to go. If Ford has fixed the motor 9I bet thy have tried hard) then preparation, skill, and cubic dollars have to get the nod.

Otherwise, AEXP and WTR look like the best bets. Oak might be about as quick when everything is balanced out, but when battleships fight cruisers ...

I want Muscle Milk to win.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 23:37 (Ref:3355737)   #10
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I'd never count out Ganassi---the only time he has lost recently was when his tranny packed it with a few hours to go. If Ford has fixed the motor 9I bet thy have tried hard) then preparation, skill, and cubic dollars have to get the nod.

Otherwise, AEXP and WTR look like the best bets. Oak might be about as quick when everything is balanced out, but when battleships fight cruisers ...

I want Muscle Milk to win.
Agreed
Old 19 Jan 2014, 00:45 (Ref:3355749)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't been this excited to see a sportscar race in a really long time. Really looking forward to next weekend.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 01:19 (Ref:3355755)   #12
Baigu
Rookie

Canada
Ottawa
Baigu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I haven't been this excited to see a sportscar race in a really long time. Really looking forward to next weekend.
Same here, just sad that there will be no audio/video coverage of practice sessions and qualifying (?)!
Old 19 Jan 2014, 01:26 (Ref:3355756)   #13
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
I feel really bad for Andy Blackmore... new liveries have never been so hard to find. And so many!
Old 19 Jan 2014, 03:17 (Ref:3355765)   #14
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I feel really bad for Andy Blackmore... new liveries have never been so hard to find. And so many!
I heard it was taken down? Luckily I saved the pdf file first thing when I opened it.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 03:39 (Ref:3355767)   #15
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The teams are working directly with Andy. IMSA put out a bulletin that said teams had to send him livery info.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 04:42 (Ref:3355777)   #16
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
The teams are working directly with Andy. IMSA put out a bulletin that said teams had to send him livery info.
That's a shame. I hope the FIA WEC staff aren't as strict about it.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 06:38 (Ref:3355789)   #17
Louie Loper
Veteran

United States
Nebraska
Louie Loper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey kind of off topic but TUSC related, I'm trying to get an new Tudor decal or IMSA sticker but their shop on IMSA's website is not working for me.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3355839)   #18
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies as it's probably already been covered.........but, is there any streams available for the race and any truth to the rumour that Channel 10 Australia is showing some of the race ? Thanks in advance.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 12:31 (Ref:3355864)   #19
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just curious, is it possible teams are still working on sponsorships right up to race time thus the livery will then be determined?

This pre race has so far met all my wildest expectations. A year ago
from reading some posts you would think we would be lucky to get 35 total entries for the 24. I knew this was going to be a can't miss event.
IMO, this is NOW the superbowl of sportscar racing in North America.
Could not really say that in the GA/ALMS days.

Hate to do it...... but...... the 10 day weather is looooooking gooooooood!
Old 19 Jan 2014, 14:01 (Ref:3355889)   #20
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
well, now we know who to blame if the forecast changes ...

I didn't doubt the race would get a healthy grid---the Rolex always does--but I doubted there would be much racing worth watching because I doubted the series could ever find a solution to the different classes.

Now it looks like it might look like ... just another ALMS race, except with Rolex cars included. Nothing wrong with that.

It's going to be a real race, with a wide variety of chassis and engines, and the typical Rolex 24 stew of national and international driving stars.

Bravo, TUSC.

I am even more excited for Sebring.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 15:41 (Ref:3355912)   #21
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Now it looks like it might look like ... just another ALMS race, except with Rolex cars included. Nothing wrong with that.
If you review the 2014 Rolex24 entry list you'll notice that 39 of the entries would have been eligible for the ALMS and 38 would have been eligible for the Grand-Am.

Far from being just another ALMS race, the 2014 Rolex24 (and Sebring and the series in general) will be exactly what the new owners and organizers said it would be - a merger.

I am unbelievably excited - just like I always knew I would be. I can't wait to leave for Daytona on Thursday.

Andy Flinn

Last edited by ACFlinn; 19 Jan 2014 at 15:47.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3355913)   #22
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Not including GTD (which is nearly impossible to allocate due to the similarities), Daytona has 27 ALMS cars and 11 Grand-Am cars (DP).

Obviously GTD is a big class, but the teams are about 1/2 and 1/2 on GA and ALMS.

I can't wait to see pictures of the haulers arriving!
Old 19 Jan 2014, 16:57 (Ref:3355929)   #23
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We did a short overview analysis on the P-Class (Laptimes & Top-Speeds) Maybe some are interested in that:

http://www.gt-eins.at/cms/index.php?...=8990&Itemid=1
Old 19 Jan 2014, 17:50 (Ref:3355940)   #24
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even more astonishing, the Ten-Tenths discussion forum seems to be converging on overall positive outlook for the race!!!

Seriously though, I tend to agree with Maelochs', JHamilton and others above - this has the potential to be a really exciting dust-up (in a good way). Tons of talent, lots of very experienced teams fielding a wide variety of cars... no matter what kibbitzing about BoP takes place after the fact, this is likely to be one heck of an entertaining 24 hours.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 18:24 (Ref:3355952)   #25
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LMP1 or not, I think the Daytona 24 is on the right track to regaining it's former glory alongside Le Mans and Sebring. Let's go racing!