Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2002, 09:45 (Ref:397371)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie - "there won't be another season like this"

Bernie has decided Formula One is terribly boring (only took him a few years to work this one out ) and seems to be up to something. Take a look at this article from TSN. How Bernie is going to 'improve' the show is beyond me, but I hope something is done for next season.

Quote:
Ecclestone to slow down Schumacher - Associated Press
10/6/2002

MUNICH (AP) - Bernie Ecclestone has figured out how to slow down Michael Schumacher and stop another runaway for the dominant German and his Ferrari team next season.

The Formula One boss told the German Sunday newspaper Bild am Sonntag that the standings leader would get a kilo handicap added to his car for every point lead he held in the drivers' race.

``If Schumacher is 20 points ahead of Ruben Barrichellos, then he has to drive with a car that's 20 kilos heavier,'' Ecclestone said.

That was just one of Ecclestone's proposals for next season after Schumacher and Ferrari teammate Barrichellos put a stranglehold on the sport, with many complaining it stripped Formula One of all its suspense.

``I promise: there won't be another season like this. Next year it's going to be a good show again,'' Ecclestone said.

Among Ecclestone's other ideas were reducing the amount of electronic equipment in cars, a return to manual transmission and ending Saturday's one-hour qualifying session.

That would be replaced by four half-hour sessions split over Friday and Saturday, giving driver's four chances at pole.

Hailed as perhaps the greatest F1 driver ever, Schumacher clinched his fifth world championship in July.

Since then, he has been racing simply for records and personal satisfaction.

But Ecclestone defended the German against charges his dominance was stripping F1 of its drama.

``All of us should be very thankful to him _ he's the superstar and every sport needs one,'' he said.

Ecclestone repeated his criticism of Schumacher's tactic at the United States Grand Prix, when he slowed down in an attempt to let Barrichellos cross the finish line at the same time. The German wanted to repay his teammate for letting him pass at the Austria Grand Prix.

But the manoeuvre drew angry cries of ``fix'' and ``a mockery'' all across the world.

``I like Michael and I have a lot of respect for him, but he's not clever enough in those kind of situations. He's just not a good showman,'' Ecclestone said.

Ecclestone said that it when it came to mastering those kind of show tactics, former British F1 champion Nigel Mansell was the best.
I like Bernie, unlike Mosely he seems to have at least a bit of racers blood in him, it's good to see he has registed these processions are not what the crowds want. The falling TV figures are probably making him see it even easier...

Basically everything he has to say in this case is good, except for weight penalties, I don't think they belong in the top level.

Apparently he also wants to revert the points system back to eight points for a win, with the current points for second to sixth. Sounds good to me, keeps the battle closer for the title and keeps the historical element in place. 8-6-4-3-2-1 is the point system used when F1 began in 1950.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 09:56 (Ref:397379)   #2
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
manual box yes weight No. at best!
To me F1 is about two things the most advance form of motorsport and where best team/driver/car wins
Old 7 Oct 2002, 10:00 (Ref:397384)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
"To me F1 is about two things the most advance form of motorsport and where best team/driver/car wins"

- Correct

Were Bernie says manual does he mean 'semi-automatic' manual, or does he mean 'REAL manual?'
Old 7 Oct 2002, 10:34 (Ref:397407)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FIA looking at weight penalties

Bernie does read ten-tenths.....I called for weight penalties in a recent post on how to even up the racing.....

According to Autosport, the FIA are considering weight penalties to stop runaway leaders. They could be introduced for next season.

The penalties would start once a set level of points had been won - thereafter 1 kilo of ballast would be added per point scored. Full story on the autosport site.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 10:51 (Ref:397415)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully a proper manual gearbox, with clutch and all.

I hope these weight penalties get nothing more than a laugh, penalising the winners is not Formula 1
Old 7 Oct 2002, 10:52 (Ref:397417)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Already covered:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=28320

I personally don't like the idea, F1 should always remain and even playing field in terms of regulations. There are other ways to close up the field.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 10:58 (Ref:397421)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now THAT's pathetic. But certainly that's not FIA looking at weigth penalties, but it's Bernie. Actually I'm not sure that he didn't say that in jest.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 11:12 (Ref:397427)   #8
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weight penalties - NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! They're great for Touring Cars but not F1.

Whilst these ideas might slow MS down they won't make it easier for people to pass. Hopefully we will see a drastic reduction in downforce and a return to slicks. Then we might actually see some RACING!
Old 7 Oct 2002, 11:14 (Ref:397428)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Weight penalties? No. Please, no.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Bernie was taking the Michael...
Old 7 Oct 2002, 11:14 (Ref:397429)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
I too think Bernie is just having a laugh with that one, but it's obvious weight penalties are being discussed behind the scenes.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 11:53 (Ref:397457)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why doesn't he just lean on Team TGF to play fair? Or is that too difficult a job?
Old 7 Oct 2002, 12:07 (Ref:397462)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Weight penalties - I won't watch F1 anymore.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 12:14 (Ref:397465)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Could we merge this with the Bernie thread just above as they are on the same topic in essence?
Old 7 Oct 2002, 12:30 (Ref:397478)   #14
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think four qualifying sessions will make it too confusing - why not just stick to one!
Old 7 Oct 2002, 12:42 (Ref:397488)   #15
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be replaced by four half-hour sessions split over Friday and Saturday, giving driver's four chances at pole.

i remember 2 qualifying sessions on friday and saturday. i liked it better than this single one. 4 might be slightly too much, on the other hand if the weather is changeable it give everybody more chance at going for it...

Last edited by Carla O; 7 Oct 2002 at 12:44.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 12:43 (Ref:397489)   #16
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it will ever have the 100% approval of the teams that is required to make a technical change. Bernie and Max are merely politicians. They are seeking to be seen taking a stance on the inequitites of the season and when the teams all shoot it down they will have someone to blame for it. Its the same grandstanding made so popular in government politics. As long as the manufacturers and sponsors are all forking over their mega dinero then the status quo will remain.
Never forget #99
Old 7 Oct 2002, 12:44 (Ref:397491)   #17
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manual gearboxes Then we see who can really drive and who misses a change under pressure on a corner!

I agree - weight - no!

But how about a new financial SUCCESS TAX.

Force Ferrari or the big spending successful teams to fork out cash depending on how far ahead they are and shanre the dosh between the smaller teams that are falling off the edge.

I have not thought this through at all - so don't slate me, but it may help keep a full grid.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 12:51 (Ref:397505)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about, "If you're going to rig the racing, at least rig it so we get a little variety at the front of the grid now and then, and don't make it quite so obvious."

Or a "farce penalty" that charges the teams and drivers involved a " tax" based on the number of outraged letters and phone calls Bernie has to field on the subject,with a bonus clause for petitions signed by over 100 former fans?
Old 7 Oct 2002, 13:56 (Ref:397547)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, weight penalties don't belong in F1. They taint the competition. Like I've said, it's a Formula to which cars are built. Change that formula one way or another, and you can speed up the cars, slow them down, tighten up the field, spread it out... Making them slower on the straights and faster in the turns... THAT"S WHERE YOU MAKE YOUR IMPROVEMENTS.

It's at least good to see that Bernie, politician that he is, figured he had to jump on the bandwagon with us...
Old 7 Oct 2002, 14:35 (Ref:397586)   #20
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manual gearboxes - yes please.

Weight penalties - The death of F1.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 14:57 (Ref:397605)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
Manual gearboxes - yes please.

Weight penalties - The death of F1.
For once we agree......yippeeeeeee

If it was to go to 4 qualifying sessions, (i personally would prefer 2), i hope they aggregate the time, what happens if fridays dry but saturday wet?

Last edited by Mr V; 7 Oct 2002 at 14:58.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 15:04 (Ref:397613)   #22
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie's manipulating the teams - if he goes for the worst possible scenario, smaller changes like the aerodynamics which perhaps the teams wouldn't have gone in for originally don't seem so bad at all and he gets them through without opposition...mark my words!
Old 7 Oct 2002, 15:07 (Ref:397615)   #23
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
There is also an article in Autosport,com which confirms that the FIA are backing these potential changes including a freeze on aerodynics at the start of the season and allowing only one change per year. This would reduce development. However does this mean that wings would be fixed so that they couldnt be changed for different circuits etc?
Old 7 Oct 2002, 15:46 (Ref:397648)   #24
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, effectively just the one car... The cars would be controlled by the FIA - I guess they'd use computers and whatever...incredibly bad idea, though. Then we'd see completely new cars at the mid-point of the season, I suppose.

I know it's been boring as hell and all, but some of these ideas are right off the deep end!
Old 7 Oct 2002, 15:50 (Ref:397650)   #25
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Placing a freeze on aerodynamic changes wil only hamper the minnows. Ferrari, McLaren, and Williams all spend beaucoup hours in wind tunnels and running computer simulations already and will only step up their efforts to assure they do not make a massive aero mistake and have to live with it for a whole season. Teams at the back of the grid do not have the resources to do this at this time, much less if they are forced to race with a mistake they are unable to correct later.

Placing restrictions on all the teams unilaterally limits the options of the smaller teams much more than the larger teams. If restricitions are placed then you get all the bickering that frequently goes on in NASCAR. One make will be lobbying for them to make a change because they are uncompetitive and the whole vicious circle goes on and on.
Never forget #99