Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 May 2003, 12:28 (Ref:595303)   #1
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross GP at Croft

With Brands Hatch spending money on the new formated rallycross circuit I imagine there long term goal would be the return of the rallycross GP which was always a great success in the winter. I also expect they would be offered the British European round when it returns soon. I know Croft have done a great job in reintroducing the GP event but it would never be as good as watching at Brands. What are your thoughts?
Old 10 May 2003, 13:24 (Ref:595343)   #2
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be a disgrace if brands hatch gets either back as they are only interested in making money out of rallycross. They have never done it for the love of the sport and as soon as the going got tough in rallycross they washed there hands of it. They dont deserve to have a rallycross event so all the hype around it going back there is a joke.

Such events should go firstly to Croft as it has supported rallycross from start through thick and thin as has Lydden Hill.

The British round in Novemeber at Brands is going to be farcial as they will limit the number of cars that can enter to around 60. Therefore each class will have selected entrys only. That isnt right at all for a national championship.

Croft has a 3 year deal to run the British Rallycross Grand Prix and they alone should have first refusal on a round of the European championship, as they have done everything for Rallycross. The last time the Euro championship went to Brands it wasnt that good. In fact the last decent round of the European championship we had on these shores was at Croft in 1994. The Internations cup at croft was always a mega success and is more popular with scandenavians and drivers. Due to this it will always be more likely to get a bigger entry than BRands or Lydden for a European round, due to the deal with Fjordline the scadenavians have which brings the ferrys into Newcastle.

Having been at Brands Hatch last weekend for the CART event i decided to walk the rallycross track.......what a mess....they still have a lot of work to do. With the high catch fencing put up now, which will be left due to the CART returning next year, it will not be very spectator freindly either. A rallycross event couldnt take place tommorow as the entrance to knife edge (langleys gap) is pilled high with a spectator banking which will need to be bulldozed first. Not mentiond the lack of loose on all the sections. IT could easily turn into Grass Track racing.

Not to mention the gridding up procedure as the track has been altered so they use the start/finish line. It may all look rosey having Brands Hatch back on the calender from the outside but it is a different perspective when it actually happens.

Brands Hatch will never get the GP back, in fact i will be surprised if Brands remains on the calender for more than a year or two. Especially with the uncertain state of octagon and they want to sell of the circuits.

Croft is the best circuit for rallycross in the country. The facilitys are top notch and justice will only be done when the European championship returns to the circuit.

Maybe before the European championship returns though the attitude of some drivers may have to change regarding the series which is ready to booom in 2003.
Old 11 May 2003, 07:33 (Ref:595898)   #3
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive been too Croft many times and I just feel it will never be the best choice for big European events due to its Geographical position. I no you say its ideal for the Scandanavians but I feel not ideal for the spectators, its a long haul for anyone travelling south of Sheffield, plus when you get there your usually greeted with either freezing cold rainy wheather or very bitter Northerly wind or both, call me a Southern softy if you like but I know that the occasional rallycross spectator would be put off by these two issues. Southern events have always been better supported, fact, in turn creating a better atmosphere. Lydden is the best rallycross venue for the spectator, I no it has a lack off facilities and its not exactly up to date on safety but thats part of the appeal, Easter Monday proved that with a huge crowd even with all the National motorsport events on same weekend.
Old 11 May 2003, 11:20 (Ref:595995)   #4
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
I think a lot of people underestimate croft. Last year they got one of the biggest touring car crowds of the year. The tv deal that Darlington District Motor CLub had in place was superb with 1 hour on sky sports and 30mins on channel 4. The GP has never had such good coverage. Considering the event was organized in less than a month the crowd that they got was very good. This October with the right publicity it should see a very big crowd.

If you look at it another way Lydden is a long way for northern fans so it does work two ways.

The other fact is it was Lydden Hill in 1993 who lost there right for the European championship. there farcial negotitations with the FIA resulted in the round being cancelled. Croft the following year did a stirling job at the European in 1994 but the 1995 round at BRands Hatch had a poor entry and not many spectators. Pembrey then killed it off as the organizers fell out with the drivers. This resulted in a small entry and then end of the ERC in GB.

Bascially the DDMc is the best motor club in the country that runs rallycross. It is always given rallycross first rate attention and has the respect of all European drivers which you will see when there is a massive number of European contingent coming across.

Brands should never be allowed to hold it and Lydden will never because of the uncertain future of the circuit. European rallycross now is unlike it used to be as it wants to use an established venue in each of its countrys it goes to. The pit and media faciltiys at croft will always be in preference to the lack of at Lydden.

Also there was no BTCC that weekend which is a big help to getting a large crowd.

With the GP having a two day meeting this year at Croft, the public will be more aware and will see more of the European stars rather than having the British championship on the Saturday. And then there is the Inter Nations Cup which also has its home at Croft. 1987 and 1990 were to superb years when the event took place. 1987 was one of the largest crowds i have ever seen at a rallycross event in GB.
Old 11 May 2003, 11:31 (Ref:596001)   #5
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Oh and dont forget if it had not been for Croft, we would have no BRitish rallycross Grand Prix and therefore would not see European compeititors on the shore, as Brands Hatch previous three attempts to restart the event in 98,99 and 2000 all fell flat on there face, annoying Europeans in the process due to there "defined" selected entrys which would have given British drivers priority. The FIA and RAC realise that and wont forget it. The same applies with Lydden and Pembrey after what has gone at those two circuits in the past years.