Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Feb 2001, 16:51 (Ref:65384)   #1
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much have been said of the different drivers and why or why not they are somebody's particular favourites, but what's your best and worst memories so far of the current F1 drivers? I've listed some of mine below, and I've included Damon Hill.

Michael Schumacher
Best memory: His first win, and the joy he displayed on that occasion.
Worst memory: When he tried to ram Jacques off the track at Jerez in 97.

Mika Hakkinen
Best memory: His impressive comeback after his terrible accident in Adelaide in 95.
Worst memory: That same accident in Adelaide in 95, which nearly claimed his life.

Rubens Barrichello
Best memory: His very emotional win at Hockenheim last year, starting from 18th on the grid!
Worst memory: His accident at Imola in 94. (Though I wish that one would have remained the worst memory from that awful weekend.)

David Coulthard
Best memory: Difficult to call, but I'll give it to the occasion when he gave TGF the finger. That certainly was laughable.
Worst memory: Which one to pick? Both when he spun off on the warm-up lap and when he crashed into the pit wall could make the cut, but the one that really takes the prize was when he took out team-mate Mika on the opening lap of (I think) the Austrian GP in 99.

Jacques Villeneuve
Best memory: His WDC in 97 is for sure up there for me as a Villeneuve fan, as well as of course his Indycar championship and his Indy 500 win, but the moment I remember most fondly was when he overtook TGF on the outside , if I remember correctly that happened at Estoril in 96.
Worst memory: None.

Olivier Panis
Best memory: His win in Monaco in 96. A truly great drive.
Worst memory: His accident in Canada in 97, which ruined what would have been a great season for him.

Jos Verstappen
Best memory: No particular incident stands out.
Worst memory: The fire in the pit lane at Hockenheim in 94. That looked like a catastrophe, thankfully nobody was seriously hurt.

Fernando Alonso
Best memory: His dominant win at Spa in F3000 last year. Watch out for this guy, he's a future star!
Worst memory: You've got to be kidding.

Eddie Irvine
Best memory: When he outqualified TGF in Melbourne in 96, in what was the debut race for Ferrari for both drivers. The cheers went through the roof!
Worst memory: His utter disrespect to Damon Hill in 96 when Eddie said that Damon had only inherited the seat, so therefore it was of no interest if he won the championship.

Jean Alesi
Best memory: His sole win in Canada in 95 is tempting to mention, as well as his battle with Senna in the Tyrrell, but my most fond memory of him is one occasion back in the days when qualifying was being held on both Fridays and Saturdays, and the best time (regardless of day) counted. I can't remember which year, either 93, 94 or 95, but everybody had set a fast time on Friday, and on Saturday it was pouring down. There was absolutely no way anyone could improve on his time from Friday qualifying, but the one driver who went out on the track on Saturday, and went around lap after lap, on the limit, with perfect car control in the wet, was Jean Alesi. He gave the crowd something to cheer for, all the other drivers stayed in the pits. A true racer, and a true crowdpleaser.
Worst memory: Must be how his career went in a downward spiral after joining Benetton, when I truly hoped and expected it to go the other way.

Gaston Mazzacane
Best memory: Lying in third place at last year's USGP, keeping Hakkinen behind! Who would have thought that!
Worst memory: None in particular.

Damon Hill
Best memory: Hungaroring 97, when he so nearly won, is tempting to mention, but what really cuts the cake for me was his pure determination in 96, when he was on the money from the word go, and netted a richly deserved WDC.
Worst memory: The entire 99 season. He should have retired after 98.
Old 18 Feb 2001, 18:27 (Ref:65402)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Here's a few of mine (favourite drivers listed first):

Ralf Schumacher
Best memory: There are a few, but Silverstone 98 stands out for me as a turning point in his career. 21st on the grid to 6th in the race really showed that he meant business.
Worst memory: Not anything major, but there was that nerve-wracking quarter of an hour or so during last year's Monaco GP waiting to hear whether or not he'd sustained any damage to the bone in his leg after his crash.

Damon Hill
Best memory: Probably Suzuka 96. I got up to watch the race live - being the loyal fan that I was - and it was worth it to see him take the chequered flag to that much-deserved championship.
Worst memory: I think it might be Suzuka 99. We all knew he shouldn't have carried on into 99, and seeing him go off the track and then pull into the pits. He just gave up - a really disappointing end to his career.

Pedro de la Rosa
Best memory: I think it'd have to be Nurburgring 2000. Pedro's definitely one of those people who really shows his skill when it rains.
Worst memory: Nothing on-track, just him getting the sack this year despite being very talented.

Michael Schumacher
Best memory: Monza 2000 press conference. It was, in a way, a relief to see that he is human, not just a complete robot.
Worst memory: Either Jerez 97 or Adelaide 94, for obvious reasons.
Old 18 Feb 2001, 19:26 (Ref:65415)   #3
Quino
Racer

Quino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher
Best ermm....a tie. Spa 1991, first race, qualified 7th, destroyed his experienced teammate DeCesaris. Suzuka 2000, achieved an almost magical goall, taking the driverstitle back to Maranello since Jody Scheckter
Worst Monte Carlo 1994, the race 2 weeks after Imola, celebrating his win like Ayrton Senna never took a win there or even had existed.

Ralf Schumacher
Best Taking the maiden Williams-BMW to the podium in Melbourne 2000.
Worst Taking his teammate out in Argentina 1997

Jean Alesi
Best Many! His drive in Austria in 1999 showed there's some inspiration left, so thats one of the freshest memories. Topping testing times this winter also makes the cut.
Worst Being thrown garbage at by the tifosi at Imola 1991. I was very ashamed (and still am in hindsight)

Olivier Panis
Best Apart from his win in Monaco which was really a circumstancial win, I'd have to say his flying laps in qualifying at Nurburgring 1997. Truly blistering, the first race back in contention after his shunt at Canada that same year.
Worst....his shunt in Canada that same year...

Jacques Villeneuve
Best Outqualifying his highly rated teammate in his first official qualifying outing in a GP-car, taking pole
Worst On and off hints of stupidity. Most recent example trying the impossible at Indy 2000. Some spectators may enjoy the sheer action but it's surely wasted on me.

Damon Hill
Best Suzuka 1996. Awesome drive.
Worst season 1999

Gerhard Berger
Best Giving Ferrari a clean win at Hockenheim 1994.
Worst none actually

Ayrton Senna
Best Opening lap at Donington 1993
Worst Imola 1994

Alain Prost
Best Leading Ferrari to a 1-2 victory at Jerez in 1990.
Worst Hockenheim 1991, ridiculous passing move on Senna, blaming him for the failure of it.

Derek Warwick
Best Ignoring annoying journalists while running to his spare-car for the restart of the Italian GP (1990) when he crashed and burned his Lotus at Parabolica.
Worst Dunno
Old 18 Feb 2001, 19:27 (Ref:65416)   #4
Quino
Racer

hmm...at the Damon Hill-section, Suzuka 1996 should be 1994
Old 18 Feb 2001, 19:32 (Ref:65417)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quino, for Berger, how about that awful crash at Tamburello in '89 as a "Worst moment"?
Old 18 Feb 2001, 20:05 (Ref:65425)   #6
Quino
Racer

Yes EERO, I saw the crash, but I never saw that race 'live'. I only began to watch from Spa 1989 and on.
So I didn't think Imola '89 qualifies as a worst memory of my own.
Old 23 Feb 2001, 20:08 (Ref:66281)   #7
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No fond memories of Hill, Prost or Berger, good drivers but to predictable

Unpredictable Drivers with spirit, Mansell, too many great overtaking passes to mention, Senna in the great dual with Mansell at Monaco 92 and also for putting off Prost in 1990 at Suzuka.

Saddest days, Senna 94 at Imola and Mansell walking away in 92 and Alesi going to having to drive that thing Prost gave him apparently called a race car.

Alesi, from the old school ...please give him a decent car this year Mr Prost
Old 27 Feb 2001, 09:25 (Ref:66958)   #8
scoobyonline2000
Rookie

scoobyonline2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well My favorite Memory was the celebration at Monza After schumacher's win last year, it is one of my favorite because I was there! and I loved it, thats why Im going back again this year. Oh and also the Return of F1 to the U.S is one as well.

F1 Racing Moment!

The Japanese Gran Prix 2000, Michael Schumacher is leaving the pits and as he almost reaches the end of the Pit lane, Mika Hakkinen appears in the distant back, and approaching fast! and schumacher still makes it out to stay in the lead, and thats not the end of it! also,

Its the final lap and schumacher is almost there but no one know if he will make it, the closer he gets to the finish the closer Mika gets and then Shumacher makes it!!!