Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 9 Jun 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1323992)   #1
DaveStyles
Rookie

DaveStyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve Spring compressor. ?

Hi all..

Has anyone used one of these Valve Spring compressors that say you don't have to take the head off ?

Would they be of any use to me,... and if so could you recommend one I could buy ?

cheers

Dave.

PS. Triumph 1300 (small journal) engine sitting in a spitfire.
Valve Springs and helper springs. (if thats what the little ones inside are called !?)
Old 9 Jun 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1324403)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have a small one that will allow you to remove the valve springs with the head in situ as long as theres a half inch or so space around the spring.

surely though on a spit you might as just as well take the head off, you should be able to get the valves out without even removing the manifolds from the head
Old 10 Jun 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1324604)   #3
maddogf3
Racer

England
maddogf3 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Take the head off . these tools were used for valve stem seal replacement in the motor trade, but bug*****g about trying to hold valves up with the Opel tool I used was a pain You can charge more for taking the head off as well. If you are strong and have a helper ,use a big ring spanner . and push down . Done this twice in my life .Wouldn't do it again now though, too weak and have more money, would borrow a conventional tool and do it in comfort .
Old 10 Jun 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1324686)   #4
DaveStyles
Rookie

Quote:
You can charge more for taking the head off as well.
I WISH... its my engine !

I've just picked up a posh snap-on one from ebay for a tenner.. there's a chap who seems to be selling a 2nd hand snap on tool kit, piece by piece.

tis worth having in the tool box for a tenner...
Old 10 Jun 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1324690)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I now use an old black and decker cast iron pillar drill base, big lever which operates one handed, fitted with an old socket ground out to suit the retainers, and a small magnet to lift out the collets, OHV heads come off in no time, and its not worth risking internal damage not doing it.

also, if your head needs attention, chances are so does the rest !
Old 12 Jun 2005, 09:26 (Ref:1326191)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have a snap-on one for the Chevy engine, works fine. Also used one on the Ford CVH engine for changing stem seals which have a habit of wearing out so they do have their uses.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1326197)   #7
boyracer
Racer

boyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends on how dodgy you want to be.

Know of some chaps racing in the mid 80's with a Datsun that liked to munch valve springs (engine building issue). But it was the season and no-one had the time to pull the motor down, so they just kept replacing springs. In the end they had an adaptor that screwed into the spark plug thread, connect to the CO2 bottle and open the tap. Valve wouldn't fall down with all that pressure in there

Have done valve stem seals without removing the head when I was trying to get rid of a car, just use the old indian rope trick
Ropes nice and soft so not going to damage anything, can be a b%$ch getting enough in there for it to work, then turn the engine and trap the rope between the cylinder and the valve, still a bit of play in there (depends greatly on how inclined the valves are) but good enough for a home bodge job.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1328163)   #8
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave, Taking the head off a Spit may sound the easy option but if your current gasket does not leak oil from the rear it is best to leave it be, as there is no guaratee the next gasket will not leak.

Changing valve springs on a Spit is pretty easy with the head in place. Stuff the bore full of rope to hold the valve against the head, use a piece of angle bar with holes drilled to go over the rocker pedastal stud and valve collets, levering off the rocker stud compress the valve spring, remove the collets and bobs your uncle. I took some photos when I did the exact same thing last Sunday so will email them to you tonight if you want.

Are you doing this or just investigating if the tool is worth it? I say buy it then the rest of the Spitty paddock can use the tool too

Cheers
Andy
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1334702)   #9
DaveStyles
Rookie

cheers Mr V...

I did buy it... but there were other issues in the end, so it got sorted elsewhere..

Still, I have the tool if anyone needs to borrow it at any time..

cheers..

Dave.