Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Apr 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2862366)   #1
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elsie 'Bill' Wisdom

I'm trying to dig a little into the past of Elsie 'Bill' Wisdom, one of the first successful female racing drivers from the 1930s, who was often seen in MGs or Rileys, was married to gentleman racer Tom Wisdom, and was Ann Wisdom's mother - Pat Moss' co-driver in the 1960s.

If anyone has any relevant results, history, photos, etc I would appreciate any contributions.

http://speedqueens.blogspot.com/2010...ie-wisdom.html
Old 3 May 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2873635)   #2
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
No information out there then? Maybe the following photo might jog someone's memory, which shows Elsie in what I believe is the ex-Eyston / Lurani 1933 Mille Miglia MG Magnette K3 Reg No JB 1475...

Any help or assistance concerning further information about this particular K3, Elsie's racing career, or even when the car appeared as Entry NÂș 18 as shown in the photo would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old 8 May 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2876852)   #3
Debra Wenlock
Rookie

Debra Wenlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My oil painting of Mrs Elsie Wisdom

Hi David,

I don't know much about Elsie Wisdom, but I did paint a portrait of her!
My interest stems from her participation in the 1936 Ards TT - the first Tourist Trophy race to allow women drivers. I live near the Ards circuit and published a book of my paintings of the race series in 2003.
Old 8 May 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2876961)   #4
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Wenlock View Post
Hi David,

I don't know much about Elsie Wisdom, but I did paint a portrait of her!
My interest stems from her participation in the 1936 Ards TT - the first Tourist Trophy race to allow women drivers. I live near the Ards circuit and published a book of my paintings of the race series in 2003.
And damned good paintings they are too!

Bob Marley
Old 9 May 2011, 04:25 (Ref:2877186)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome Debra. Sadly due to location I can't view image shack pictures so I'll take Vitesse's word for it.

David, probably a daft question but, I assume you've contacted the MG Car Club and the Brooklands Museum?
Old 9 May 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2877218)   #6
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Welcome Debra. Sadly due to location I can't view image shack pictures so I'll take Vitesse's word for it.
Guess same reason I can't see picture-just get a red cross?
Debra-what is your book called and where can one buy it-I might be interested.
David-looks like you have a lot of info already-speedqueens-an amazing site'
Guess you already have stuff I have in books.
Old 9 May 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2877335)   #7
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Thank you Debra for your input.

Although the subsequent posts have me really confused because I cannot see any image (or red cross) included within your post above? Have you actually placed an image within your post?...

If you have I cannot see it, but if you haven't I would love to see it!
Old 9 May 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2877348)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well there's a red cross in Debra's post and yours is a frog in a box that tells me I'm unable to view imageshack files.
Old 9 May 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2877349)   #9
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Thank you also Vitesse, Peter and Rob for your own contributions.

I must admit that I have also posted a request on the MGCC Triple M Register forum HERE! and there is some great detail there of this particular K3 and it's early life.

Apparently, the unusual thing about the photo is the boat-type bodywork on the rear of the car. This was apparently an extra that could be purchased and fitted directly to the slab tank. There doesn't seem to be any other photos of the car in this configuration - which excites me I must admit!

Elsie used K3003 at No 18 in the 1933 JCC International Trophy at Brooklands, finishing 3rd Overall. That event took place on 6 May, and it was next intended event was the MAC Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb on 27 May - but it crashed en route!

There is thought that the above photo was taken between these two dates following the addition of all of the road equipment which wasn't present at Brooklands. Unfortunately there are no photos of the car before or after it's crash en route to Shelsley so it's difficult to say what bodywork was fitted then.

The photo was certainly taken after the 1933 Mille Miglia, as it still carries the Union Jack and Italian flags for Capt George Eyston and Count 'Johnny' Lurani. They won the 1100cc Class, which helped MG to clinch the Team Prize as well.
Old 9 May 2011, 10:59 (Ref:2877351)   #10
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Strange Peter because I cannot see the red cross at all - not that I'm doubting you of course. I have uploaded the image as an attachment via the forum so hopefully you should now be able to see it. Please excuse the watermarks, but I am just trying to protect this image from the unscrupulous out there!...
Attached Thumbnails
JB1475 PROOF 500.jpg  
Old 9 May 2011, 11:14 (Ref:2877359)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I have a print signed by Count Johnny Lurani depicting the car in the MM.
Old 9 May 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2877365)   #12
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Interesting Peter, but is it a print of a painting (maybe Graham Turner's) or a period photographic print like mine of Elsie?
Old 9 May 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2877391)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No it's a print of a painting, they were a special anniversay run (can't remember the year).

There is a K3 Replica that quite often appears at the MGCC events, no doubt it will be at MG Live this year. It used to race but lately I've only seen it in a MMM display. It has the boat tail.
Old 9 May 2011, 13:23 (Ref:2877454)   #14
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Is this the print you have Peter...
Attached Thumbnails
large_orig_1933_mille_miglia.jpg  
Old 9 May 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2877457)   #15
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
The following photo shows Elsie (right) sat in K3003 following her 3rd place in the 1933 JCC International Trophy - being congratulated by Cecil Kimber himself - courtesy of the Brooklands Web Archive...
Attached Thumbnails
hm426.jpg  
Old 10 May 2011, 06:19 (Ref:2877886)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
David,

That isn't the print.
Old 15 May 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2880503)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just been reminded, the print was produced from a painting by Brian De Grineau for the MG Car Club.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2898880)   #18
Debra Wenlock
Rookie

Hi David,
Yes I did include the image within my post - it's strange that some see it and others don't. I should really have also included the url for the image on my website, which is http://www.debrawenlock.co.uk/Latest...l__wisdom.html
The painting was also recently shown on the PreWarCar website at http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/pr...ll-015604.html
Good luck with your research.
Best wishes,
Debra
Old 23 Jul 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2930156)   #19
Debra Wenlock
Rookie

Hi - for anyone who is seeing a red cross instead of my Elsie Wisdon portrait - you can view it at my website http://www.debrawenlock.co.uk or click the following link to go direct to the painting - http://tinyurl.com/3jlnect.
I'm really sorry Rob29 but my book "Campari and Soda Bread" was a limited edition and is sold out!
Thanks Vitesse for the nice comment!
Any suggestions for other lady drivers I should paint?
Debra
Old 28 Jul 2011, 04:35 (Ref:2932002)   #20
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1932 Elsie Wisdom was banned from entering the Ladies' Three Mile Handicap Race in the Leyland-Thomas. She was obliged to take a racing test in front of a panel of experts before they acknowledged that she had the fitness to drive the 7.2 litre car. She duly entered the race, which she won and received her 120 mph badge.

"Fast Ladies: Female Racing Drivers 1888 to 1970", Jean Francois Bouzanquet (Veloce Publishing Ltd, 2009), page 85.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 06:13 (Ref:2932015)   #21
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Wenlock View Post
Hi - for anyone who is seeing a red cross instead of my Elsie Wisdon portrait - you can view it at my website http://www.debrawenlock.co.uk or click the following link to go direct to the painting - http://tinyurl.com/3jlnect.
I'm really sorry Rob29 but my book "Campari and Soda Bread" was a limited edition and is sold out!
Thanks Vitesse for the nice comment!
Any suggestions for other lady drivers I should paint?
Debra
Painting now visable in your original post,and is certainly beautiful.As to who to paint next I could give you a list of several hundred!