Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 13 Jan 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2370835)   #101
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've witnessed delta's prowess at Japanese. I forget the circuit at which this took place, but it went something like this. (The Japanese driver was Yusabura Baba)

Official (to Baba San): Avez vous votre licence?

Baba: ?

Delta: What?

Official: Oh, sorry - Do you have your licence?

Delta: Dont worry, I'll translate...

Delta: Baba San - DO - YOU - HAVE - YOUR - LICENCE !!!???
Old 13 Jan 2009, 23:27 (Ref:2370998)   #102
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan
I've witnessed delta's prowess at Japanese. I forget the circuit at which this took place, but it went something like this. (The Japanese driver was Yusabura Baba)

It also helps if you wave your arms about !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Jan 2009, 07:11 (Ref:2371140)   #103
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Pau, I think Alan. I had driven down from the vineyard and was standing immediately behind Baba at the time!
Old 14 Jan 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2371362)   #104
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Sounds like my late mother who's attitude to talking abroad was..

"If you talk loud enough and slow enough any damn fool foreigner should understand you"

...It's amazing how often it worked
Old 14 Jan 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2371383)   #105
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Alan Morgan has downloaded some CD's in a bid to improove my French. "I lost the blooming things ". Just as well we have the Compte, Marcus Mussa,and Jan Beekins who races a Stanguleeni and speeks every language going except Japaneese. Thats where i come in.Your Mums system does work Alan.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2371587)   #106
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Sounds like my late mother who's attitude to talking abroad was..

"If you talk loud enough and slow enough any damn fool foreigner should understand you"

...It's amazing how often it worked
When I was a kid and on holiday in Italy with my family, the italians didnt understand the attempts my parents made to speak italian. But when my dad shortly afterwards sweared Dutch with a dark loud voice it all worked. From then on I loved Italy ! What a lovely people and so into foreign languages .

But is this....the lighter site?..........I might be at the wrong thread, am I ??
Old 14 Jan 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2371642)   #107
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Agree with you there Esper. I love the Italian drivers and mechanics and i seem to get by with just saying "chow" and "fantastico"
Old 14 Jan 2009, 22:32 (Ref:2371676)   #108
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Agree with you there Esper. I love the Italian drivers and mechanics and i seem to get by with just saying "chow" and "fantastico"
I dont hope anyone is starting to post that Delta is now talking about dogs (chinese!) instead of japanese FJ drivers , it is simply HELLO in Italian it is all about, just Hello.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 02:19 (Ref:2371739)   #109
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm surprised at your father Esper. For most of us the Dutch are the world's babelfish. When I worked in Holland I was always embarrassed by the way my colleagues could switch from Dutch to English to French or Spanish mid sentence.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2371784)   #110
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
As you are on line Peter am i to understand that "park fermae" forum is for anything other than historic racing today.?Also the Dutch people are so freindly just like having a country full of John Gee,s. Come on guys not long till Snetterton.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 07:22 (Ref:2371787)   #111
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
PF is an off topic forum. It is there for stuff that doesn't fit into the main fora and it is there for fun stuff.

However John has allowed these types of thread and it is not my place to suggest anything different.

If you are referring to the removal of the "Prisoner" thread to PF, I did that because it may have wider audience than just us old blokes.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2371801)   #112
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have known some dutch gangsters and some very friendly dutch people as well so I guess its the same everywhere, also known one or two very nice dutch young ladies but that was a long time ago overall I do like dutch people who genuinely seem freindly towards up Brits or did a few years ago when our part in their liberation was still fresh in their minds. I remember a very rougish ex-friend of mine who used to trade cars and I went with him several times to Holland to import stuff, one was a 64 Mustang Coupe and a Route 66 style Corvette (how much is that worth today?) anyhow this guy turned one of the Dutch boys over so they came over to the UK broke into his house, when he came home they stuck a gun in his face and took him a few miles up the motorway stripped him off and threatened to leave him there (with his brains blown out being an option) he coughed up. Such a simple solution, why don't I have the bottle to do that when I am turned over!
Old 15 Jan 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2371849)   #113
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In response to Iain's and Peter's posts above:-

1) I agree totally with Peter's decison to move the Patrick McGoohan thread to PF.

2) This thread was a split off from another to address an apparent need for the posters on this forum to engage in their banter, and to hopefully reduce their desire to do so on other threads. I may even use it to relocate 'off topic' posts from other threads on the forum!
Old 15 Jan 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2371857)   #114
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just re read my post up there. It seems a bit terse. Not my intention, but it seems I must be turning into Ruston.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2371923)   #115
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought it was OK, Peter. Besides although it won't do JRs forum credibility much good to say so, he's actually a good bloke ..... like you, of course!!. Right I'm off now as I have a date with my wife and the local pub, for lunch!
Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2372249)   #116
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Whats Terse Peter. A Delta story ref the Dutch. We had a great time a few years back when after qualifying at Zandvoort we decided to go for a walk down the beech. Stoped at the first bar and there was a local band playing 60's and 70's rock music. Great so we had a beer then another and joined in with the spirit of the evening .The band were playing on a make shift stage made out of pallets which looked a bit unstable.Then someone got up and sang a number with the band then someone else but i then noticed after they had sung they all stayed on the stage. Anyway in the end there were more people on this make shift platform with people and drinks spilling off left right and center.It was a great night with great atmosphere cant wait to get back there sometime. Hope you had a good lunch John.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2372264)   #117
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ive been to see my Mum and Dad today 500 mile round trip.Dad allways insist on cooking me bacon and eggs"i dont complain" Anyway out comes the scotch and he starts talking about his days working for John Wyer and tells me that when he used to pick him up after he had been giving after dinner speeches JW allways insisted that him and dad find a greasy spoon cafe and have a good old fry up dinner in the early hours of the morning.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2372270)   #118
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Only F1 race I ever watched was at Zandvoort the year Alan Jones won. It was totally spoiled by the idiots at Renault's marketing division launching that horrible car the Fuego, they bought loads of transporters in and spent about two bloody hours lining them up nose to tail all the way around the track for about three laps and then took them away again! Boring was'nt the word and if it had been the greatest car in the world after that I would never have bought one.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2372314)   #119
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Only F1 race I ever watched was at Zandvoort the year Alan Jones won. It was totally spoiled by the idiots at Renault's marketing division launching that horrible car the Fuego, they bought loads of transporters in and spent about two bloody hours lining them up nose to tail all the way around the track for about three laps and then took them away again! Boring was'nt the word and if it had been the greatest car in the world after that I would never have bought one.
I already learned you are more into the american way of life All . Some of my countryman tried to introduce the real western jesse james style in england. but people failed to adapt why didnt you punish those guys the western way
Old 15 Jan 2009, 22:19 (Ref:2372339)   #120
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Should have done!
Old 19 Jan 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2374535)   #121
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I know this suposed to be dark Monday or something like that but has anyone got any good news they could post up please.We have lost a Nurburgring meeting,Jim Clark is now at a track near Poland and Theres a poisability we might not get a Classic.Whats going on. !
Old 19 Jan 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2374550)   #122
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is some good news Iain,first of all the Nurburgring is not the ADAC event and the other good news is that everything else is only supposition.
Even more good news is that Christmas has been and gone so we are now closer to springtime,getting warmer[hopefully].Race season starts next month,Pomeroy,so its not all doom and gloom.As an old acquaintance once quipped,"People like me love to emphasize things like recession,because it wont affect me".Quote from AHC Carter.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 22:23 (Ref:2375653)   #123
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
At last some good news. Just beat my son at tennis on the Wee for the first time.Dont get cross with me JT its the most exciting thing thats happend this year.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2376058)   #124
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
At last some good news. Just beat my son at tennis on the Wee for the first time.Dont get cross with me JT its the most exciting thing thats happend this year.
Watch out Andy Murray, Delta's moving up the rankings!!!
Old 21 Jan 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2376068)   #125
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That was an "r" you used there wasn't it?