Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Aug 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2935479)   #1
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans GT1 prototypes ('96-'99)

I tried to create a full list of "GT1 prototypes" (i.e. grand tourers of which road version was built only to meet the homologation criteria), that competed in Le Mans 24h, and came with the following:

Porsche 911 GT1 (2nd, 3rd)
Porsche 911 GT1 (5th, 8th, DNF, DNF, DNF, DNF, DNF, DNF)
Nissan R390 GT1 (12th, DNF, DNF)
Panoz Esperante GTR-1 (DNF, DNF, DNF)
Lotus Elise GT1 (DNF)
Porsche 911 GT1-98 (1st, 2nd)
Nissan R390 GT1 (3rd, 5th, 6th, 10th)
Panoz Esperante GTR-1 (7th, DNF)
Toyota GT-One (9th, DNF, DNF, DNF)
Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM (DNF, DNF)
1999*
Toyota GT-One (2nd, DNF, DNF)
Mercedes-Benz CLR (DNF, DNF, DNS)

*Before '99 the GT1 category was replaced by LMGTP and there was no requirements for homologated road cars any more. Hence Audi R8C and Bentleys, the only other prototypes raced in the category, never had a road-legal version.

Didin't include Dauer 962s, since they were race version of an existing road-legal car.

Didn't include Lister either, because the company was actually trying to make money by selling their cars.

I'm wondering if the list is full and complete
Old 6 Aug 2011, 03:01 (Ref:2936355)   #2
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post

Didn't include Lister either, because the company was actually trying to make money by selling their cars.

I'm wondering if the list is full and complete
Making money is the name of the game.

If you are going to exclude for personal reasons, the list will never be full.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2939207)   #3
JBT
Rookie

JBT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Lister actually make any money from the road going Storm GTL/GTS/GT? They only made four if I remember. They should definately be in this list
Old 21 Aug 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2943770)   #4
matherto
Rookie

United Kingdom
St. Helens
matherto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be nice to try and trace some of the cars.

How hard that would be is another matter...

I know there have been two different GT1's for sale recently (The Kremer car from Daytona 1997) and the Blue Coral British GT car. Dunno about the rest of them though.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2943780)   #5
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
The 1999 Toyota GT1 is still one of the most beautiful looking sportscars ever made/designed I think.

Old 22 Aug 2011, 02:53 (Ref:2943921)   #6
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
The 1999 Toyota GT1 is still one of the most beautiful looking sportscars ever made/designed I think.

I seriously hope you are being facetious and sarcastic.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 06:49 (Ref:2943971)   #7
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
I seriously hope you are being facetious and sarcastic.

No, I really do love the design of this car. I really like the color scheme, and to me, the design screams "fast", meant to destroy any competitors on the track. I even got a model of the car in my bedroom.

Makes me think of the Gulf color scheme that's been used over and over throughout the years. I find that it's a decent design, classic for sure, but from a design standpoint, it's not that appealing. The red and white colors used on the Toyota offer a really appealing contrast to each other, providing a really pleasant car to look at. As for the aero, I think the lines flow really well, and like I said, it just looks really fast, even standing still.

I'm familiar/have seen pics of practically all sportscars that have raced at LeMans for the past couple of decades, and nothing has been an almost complete package like this Toyota GT1.

From a design/pure visual standpoint, I absolutely love this car.

IMO.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2943986)   #8
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
No, I really do love the design of this car. I really like the color scheme, and to me, the design screams "fast", meant to destroy any competitors on the track. I even got a model of the car in my bedroom.

Makes me think of the Gulf color scheme that's been used over and over throughout the years. I find that it's a decent design, classic for sure, but from a design standpoint, it's not that appealing. The red and white colors used on the Toyota offer a really appealing contrast to each other, providing a really pleasant car to look at. As for the aero, I think the lines flow really well, and like I said, it just looks really fast, even standing still.

I'm familiar/have seen pics of practically all sportscars that have raced at LeMans for the past couple of decades, and nothing has been an almost complete package like this Toyota GT1.

From a design/pure visual standpoint, I absolutely love this car.

IMO.
Couldn't agree more

For all its Lufthansa tendencies the Mercedes CLR was a beautiful thing as well:

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 22 Aug 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2944003)   #9
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Merc was far better looking than the Toyota GT1 IMO
Old 22 Aug 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2944323)   #10
Bob Riebe
Veteran

They are both better than the Grand-Am ungainly DP cars, or the current ACO diesels that look like cockroaches, but that is about all the advantage they have in the looks department.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2947263)   #11
Nortad
Rookie

Nortad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont forget the McLaren F1 Longtail GTR

Despite being based on the McLaren F1, only one was made with that body work, if im not mistaken, for homologation for the GT1 category.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2947300)   #12
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first 911 GT1 (pre evo) was always my favorite.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2955114)   #13
matherto
Rookie

United Kingdom
St. Helens
matherto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortad View Post
Dont forget the McLaren F1 Longtail GTR

Despite being based on the McLaren F1, only one was made with that body work, if im not mistaken, for homologation for the GT1 category.
Three.

McLaren still have the prototype

One is in Japan in the ZAZ collection.

One is stuck in the Brunei collection.