Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Aug 2020, 13:09 (Ref:3996443)   #2426
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Masters Sunday after a first for me - truck racing at Donington. Actually, a friend is driving in the C1 race - that’s my excuse ...
Old 19 Aug 2020, 13:47 (Ref:3996451)   #2427
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trucks are rubbish but the support races are usually pretty good if the format is still the same.
Old 19 Aug 2020, 14:26 (Ref:3996460)   #2428
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favourite car meeting of the year @ Mallory for me - the VSCC with some very full grids, and the noise meter allowing up to 108db, which is quite a bit higher than normal for cars.
Old 19 Aug 2020, 14:28 (Ref:3996461)   #2429
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
My favourite car meeting of the year @ Mallory for me - the VSCC with some very full grids, and the noise meter allowing up to 108db, which is quite a bit higher than normal for cars.

There will the wail of a two stroke in the air....
In the Formula Junior race

RudE
Old 19 Aug 2020, 20:54 (Ref:3996552)   #2430
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Truck Racing

I hate to disagree with justracing but I have been to several Truck meetings at Thruxton and have always enjoyed the spectacle. The Trucks are well prepared, provide close and often spectacular racing and attract a large and enthusiastic crowd. Here are a few shots from the last Truck meeting I went to in 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4245.JPG   IMG_4221.JPG   IMG_4406.JPG  

IMG_4312 (2).JPG   IMG_4356.JPG   IMG_4255.JPG  

Old 19 Aug 2020, 20:56 (Ref:3996553)   #2431
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll let you know what I think on Monday ...
Old 19 Aug 2020, 21:01 (Ref:3996554)   #2432
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Just go with an open mind and you may well be pleasantly surprised.
Old 19 Aug 2020, 21:05 (Ref:3996555)   #2433
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
I hate to disagree with justracing but I have been to several Truck meetings at Thruxton and have always enjoyed the spectacle. .
Spectacular they are having seen them at a couple of meetings but surely they should be Fodens to qualify on this forum!
Old 20 Aug 2020, 01:00 (Ref:3996574)   #2434
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Or Scammells.......or possibly Sentinel Steamers
Old 20 Aug 2020, 05:56 (Ref:3996584)   #2435
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps there is scope for an historic truck series? Lots of old Bedford OB's, ex-army Austin's and the like...
Old 20 Aug 2020, 07:56 (Ref:3996602)   #2436
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Truck racing used to be quite big in the 80s and 90s. It's not supposed to be a contact sport, but when you see how much track they use up, sometimes it's unavoidable
Old 20 Aug 2020, 08:36 (Ref:3996610)   #2437
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Steamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Or Scammells.......or possibly Sentinel Steamers
If you want steamers what about a grid full of these little fellows...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1415.JPG  
Old 21 Aug 2020, 21:31 (Ref:3996947)   #2438
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I was at Brands today when this old geezer wanted a picture of me with him, note the social distancing !
Click image for larger version

Name:	118227332_10220355469550307_8929451156843130997_n.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	63555
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Aug 2020, 08:21 (Ref:3997787)   #2439
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Flipping eck. Why o why did it have to rain and force 10 gale today at Mallory . I blame the “fat Clark”.😀
Old 25 Aug 2020, 19:08 (Ref:3997923)   #2440
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone else does.

Each session had a least one completely dry run, what's your problem?

Certainly was windy though, let's hope it slows down overnight for tomorrows bike sessions.
Old 25 Aug 2020, 20:07 (Ref:3997935)   #2441
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Flipping eck. Why o why did it have to rain and force 10 gale today at Mallory . I blame the “fat Clark”.��

Just an attempt to blow away the present virus crisis!

That said, let's be honest Iain, you would probably only have run 2 laps anyway?

Trying to find a really positive aspect .... um,... better to have to experience the changing levels of wetness and the effects of the wind on a car's handling on a "track" day in advance of stumbling across something much the same one a real race day?

There were remarkable few incidents. I understand a couple of Honda's ended up hors de combat. That's about it?
Old 25 Aug 2020, 20:44 (Ref:3997938)   #2442
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I had a great day at Mallory .Breakfast for a fiver and very nice it was . Had chat with fat controller and a lesson from him on how to run a race track which he does extremely well .Thanks for your time today Dave . I’m afraid we still have missfire on Atlantic so it’s off to rolling road . Very windy coming home I was hanging on to Delta truck on M40. Always good to catch up with fellow tenthers Grant , Fat Contoler and Simon Hadfield .I still miss those Wednesday mornings but a Tuesday track day was just as good .
Old 26 Aug 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3998033)   #2443
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I had a great day at Mallory .Breakfast for a fiver and very nice it was . Had chat with fat controller and a lesson from him on how to run a race track which he does extremely well .Thanks for your time today Dave . I’m afraid we still have missfire on Atlantic so it’s off to rolling road . Very windy coming home I was hanging on to Delta truck on M40. Always good to catch up with fellow tenthers Grant , Fat Contoler and Simon Hadfield .I still miss those Wednesday mornings but a Tuesday track day was just as good .

Ditto, despite the often inclement weather. Interesting that most attendees seemed to stay the course and enjoy the day. I guess being mostly dry at the end helped.

Was just thinking about the rolling road option Iain and wondering whether the problem is somehow mostly related to a moving vehicle complete with the effects of travelling over bumps and with a driver load on board for some additional weight (maybe in certain places in the car rather than just additional weight.)

It's a problem slightly similar to my currently dodgy camera lens. Works sometimes but not always. The reported error was poor communication between lens an body. Then it got to the point where it seemed fine on one camera body but always a problem on the other. That quickly changed to not at all good ever on both bodies and I noticed that it was powering up and attempting to autofocus when just attaching to the body with the camera turned off.

In the case of the lens there are, I have discovered via YouTube, several internal ribbon connectors for multiple functions and I think it's a pretty good bet that one of them, as is normal apparently, has either come loose or broken after several years of use. They have to deal with a lot of movements internally so it's no great surprise. Just unfortunate timing ...

So if there is a "wiring" problem there are fewer places one can look on a lens (if one can get to them without upsetting the fine tuning of the optics) compared to a car but I could see the effects might be similar and so possibly the basis of the solution as well.

Meanwhile, a piccy.
Attached Thumbnails
1280px_60pct_jpg_Delta Motor Sport Mallory Track Day 20200825_ONED9554.jpg  
Old 27 Aug 2020, 00:02 (Ref:3998187)   #2444
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
the dizzy - must be the only component that hasn't been changed
Old 27 Aug 2020, 08:27 (Ref:3998225)   #2445
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
the dizzy - must be the only component that hasn't been changed
Has it got one? Or is it late enough to have an ECU.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Aug 2020, 08:39 (Ref:3998229)   #2446
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Has it got one? Or is it late enough to have an ECU.
It has got a conventional distributor with plug leads, it actually caught alight when petrol got on the dizzy cap from one of the carburettors when I was with him the other week.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Aug 2020, 08:45 (Ref:3998230)   #2447
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
It has got a conventional distributor with plug leads, it actually caught alight when petrol got on the dizzy cap from one of the carburettors when I was with him the other week.
Well, if nothing else, that proves there's a spark!
Old 27 Aug 2020, 09:35 (Ref:3998243)   #2448
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Iain's old fire-fighting skills came into play, then!
Old 27 Aug 2020, 09:36 (Ref:3998244)   #2449
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Fuel pressure?
Old 27 Aug 2020, 10:12 (Ref:3998258)   #2450
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there an electronic rev liniter which may be faulty?
Closed Thread