Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Feb 2003, 13:31 (Ref:504423)   #1
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In car 956 video... again

Managed to get hold of the video which is amazing, but have been trying to find out about why it was done. Managed to find a book about the 956/968 which mentions a camera car but thats it. Does anyone know why it was done, why the works team would run a third car with a bloody great big camera in the passenger side! I had imagined the camera would be quite small, hadnt thought they would include a tripod which looks like it weighs a tonne!
Old 12 Feb 2003, 18:25 (Ref:504682)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess there were promotional or pr reasons to it. Some of the filming appears to have been done during testing or practice. Certainly the Rothmans Porsches were early runners as camera cars.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 22:42 (Ref:504963)   #3
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did have the advantage of being the most dominant team at the time. They weren't scared of running development items on the race cars. i remember the pdk(i think) semi automatic box been run (could be 1988)The Porche and Jag where in a fight for the championship at the time, derek bell wanted it taken off because the thing was so heavy. So a camera and tripod(probably a cameraman and sound engineer for good measure) stuck in the car would't make much difference!
Old 13 Feb 2003, 08:07 (Ref:505193)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I have a video where Derek gets quite upset at the team say "I'll probably get a "b********g" for saying this", but he didn't think they should be doing development of things like the pdk at the racetrack.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 08:50 (Ref:505216)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
the pdk(i think) semi automatic box
PDK was rumoured to stand for Pretty Damn Kwik.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I spoke with someone on the Duke Video stand at the Autosport show and they said that In-Car 956 would be coming out on DVD 'by June'.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 13:46 (Ref:505410)   #6
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Though i guess it would be a direct copy with no extra stuff, unless they know of the original stuff.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 15:20 (Ref:505461)   #7
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Re: In car 956 video... again

Quote:
Originally posted by spanner
Managed to get hold of the video which is amazing, but have been trying to find out about why it was done. Managed to find a book about the 956/968 which mentions a camera car but thats it. Does anyone know why it was done, why the works team would run a third car with a bloody great big camera in the passenger side! I had imagined the camera would be quite small, hadnt thought they would include a tripod which looks like it weighs a tonne!
As I recall there was an occasional extra car run in 1984/5 entered in Rothmans colours, but sometimes run by Richard Lloyd rather than the works team- drivers included Lloyd himself, Vern Schuppan, James Weaver, Johnny Dumfries and even Sir Jack Brabham on one occasion (Sandown, 1984)

I think this was the camera car for at least some of the filming, although I've got a vague memory (it's years since I've seen 'In-Car 956') that some of the action seemed to have been from one of the regular team cars rather than an extra camera car- I'm sure Derek Bell features in some of it

There was also a third works 'PDK' car at times, but I'm not sure whether this and the camera car ever appeared at the same race.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 15:54 (Ref:505495)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wasn't it 1986 that the PDK gearbox was first run?I'm not a 100% sure but I remember hearing it mentioned on videos and 1986 is just about the only one I've seen, mainly because my Dads got highlights of the whole lot!
Old 13 Feb 2003, 16:14 (Ref:505527)   #9
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Wasn't it 1986 that the PDK gearbox was first run?I'm not a 100% sure but I remember hearing it mentioned on videos and 1986 is just about the only one I've seen, mainly because my Dads got highlights of the whole lot!
I know they ran it pretty regularly in 86 (Derek Bell's quote a few posts back is from Japan 86 if memory serves- with a championship at stake they were losing time because of problems with the PDK....) but I think it appeared before then, usually in a third car- as I recall in 86 it appeared more often and in one of the two main team cars
Old 14 Feb 2003, 16:21 (Ref:506620)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
I think I've mentioned it before, but I spoke with someone on the Duke Video stand at the Autosport show and they said that In-Car 956 would be coming out on DVD 'by June'.
From Melanie Stokoe of Duke (by email):
Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry. We are going to be releasing In Car 956 on DVD round about the 24th March, 2003. The catalogue code will be 3480 and will be priced at £16.99.

Hope this is of some help.
Further, it will be Region 0, PAL. No word of goodies.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Feb 2003, 17:03 (Ref:506662)   #11
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
We are going to be releasing In Car 956 on DVD round about the 24th March, 2003.
That's one birthday present sorted then...
Old 14 Feb 2003, 17:39 (Ref:506720)   #12
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
J.J.S.S.Express should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the full version of InCar 956 ! with the original box.
400km/h on mulsanne strait-hunaudieres whoawwwwwww ! so cool !
Old 15 Feb 2003, 00:44 (Ref:507192)   #13
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember seeing incar with Jonathan Palmer (ticket to ride i think, with cameras on bikes and rallycars as well) completing the opening lap of the 1984(?) race, and giving some incar commentary. Later it shows him completing a lap behind the pace car, the yellow was caused by the 2 Aston Martins crashing on the Mulsanne kink.
I remember reading Jonathan Palmers report in that race in Fast Lane magazine, saying how he had just overtaken one of the Astons on the straight when he saw just on the kink a puff of dust. He lifted off and as he got nearer could see the first Aston having a huge accident, then the other Aston (having not seen anything came flying past him and collected the first Aston, the ensuring carnage killed a marshal, and one of the drivers had serious burns.
Jonathan went on to say how he cleared the debris and thought of what he should do, It shows on the second clip behind the pace car, he goes past the accident saying how they should stop the race.
Those in car cameras always amaze me but it was the commentary Jonathan gave in the second clip, had he known someone was killed? It must of taken something to have found out and then got back into the car and complete your next stint after nearly being involved in it yourself.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 13:45 (Ref:507570)   #14
Brant
Rookie

Brant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mosport 95, is saw three works 956's, I beleave Nick Mason drove the camera car! The first race I ever attended.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 19:03 (Ref:507815)   #15
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
It does seem that on the video its Derek Bell doing most of the driving and commentary, even at the same time (He is God!). Typical int it, i got the video at christmas, and their finally releasing a DVD.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 13:09 (Ref:509459)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Doesn;'t Derek do all of the driving on that video? And yes, there's definitely some commentary while driving. Its the Le Mans lap and the lap of the legendary Nurburgring that I love the most.....
Old 17 Feb 2003, 13:32 (Ref:509495)   #17
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'm going to have to watch it again.. I dont remember the Le mans one. With the camera pointing straight ahead you cant really tell who it is, though i guess you can assume it is him then.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 13:47 (Ref:509509)   #18
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I guess there were promotional or pr reasons to it. Some of the filming appears to have been done during testing or practice. Certainly the Rothmans Porsches were early runners as camera cars.
Thats correct, in those days it was possible to run a 'T' (training)Car in practice in addition to any race car, These always carried a small 'T' next to the number. A bit like F1 this year then.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 14:00 (Ref:509519)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I remember the "T" cars running in practice at the 1000kms at Brands and Silverstone - I've actually got some pics of them somewhere where the "T" can be seen clearly. Still love those cars.......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 17 Feb 2003 at 14:00.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 14:17 (Ref:509541)   #20
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
With the camera pointing straight ahead you cant really tell who it is, though i guess you can assume it is him then.
But you do see him getting in the car at some of the circuits
Old 17 Feb 2003, 19:20 (Ref:509815)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Haven't watched it for a couple of years - I can see I'm going to have to dig it out again!