Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Aug 2004, 19:18 (Ref:1070800)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New rear wing test.

It did get mentioned, I think, during the GP weekend, but only in passing (what? passing at the Hungaroring? ).

The FIA introduced a more thorough flexi-wing test. Before it only tested the wing as a whole, now it targets the actual wing element.

According to Autosport tomorrow, Ferrari, McLaren and BAR changed there wings due to this. It is also suggested that it made the biggest difference to BAR. Their straight line speed was down considerably.

I guess this goes to show that it is an area of the rules that is very difficult to define and police what is acceptable. Although the change was accpeted and everyone moves on.

BAR also say it is a shame as it will mean a change to the planned Spa/Monza wings.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 19:39 (Ref:1070824)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why do the FIA do this at the most pointless times?

They could have left this until the start of next season. Oh well....

Was this introduced as a result of what happened to Kimis rear wing at Hockenheim or has this been on the cards a while?
Old 18 Aug 2004, 20:04 (Ref:1070847)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it was a result of Kimi's failure, in which case they introduced it as an extra safety measure.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 20:07 (Ref:1070852)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fair enough, then.

We may well see standard rear wings in the future, which would elimate this problem among others.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1070864)   #5
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i noticed BAR speed was well down jenson was with the Jordons!! i just thought jenson was running more downforce as he was really quick in the middle sector...hmmm its a intresting development BAR have been suspected of a flexi-rear wing from race 1!
Old 19 Aug 2004, 02:46 (Ref:1071074)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were talks that many teams used more flexible rear wings which managed to bypass the rules, and that could be a possible reason that teams sacrifice rear wing strength for that aero-improvement.

And if that's the case, a tightening of the regulations is needed.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 03:58 (Ref:1071094)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR has being a target this year. The top teams dont really like to be threatened at all so everything they do is scrutinized. It only goes to show that teams are looking over their shoulders. In Hungary BAR ran more wing. Their pace was still there, sometimes straight line speed does not equate to fast times.

The changes will affect everyone who was doing this. IMO, the area in which the cars could/should be more regualted is in aero. It may also improve the racing. It would not be so difficult to follow a car closely.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 05:19 (Ref:1071130)   #8
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it didn't affect Ferrari

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Aug 2004, 08:52 (Ref:1071276)   #9
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that BAR was affected the most, when we consider Jenson's move to Williams for 2005.

I wonder how much a consideration this was? After all, if you know your team is getting an advantage from exploiting a loophole in the rules or an inadequacy in scrutineering, this might change your perception about how competitive your team is relative to others?
Old 19 Aug 2004, 09:02 (Ref:1071282)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly in the case of front wings the flexing is very noticable, especially when they have that low camera looking forward - the trailing edge of the front wing will rise up into view as the cars slow down, and then flatten distinctly as the speed builds again. Completely illegal, but I guess everyone is doing it - I've seen it on the Jordan last year, so it's nothing new and not limited to the top few teams. I can only asume that similar technology applies to the latest rear wings.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1071384)   #11
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually I can confirm that Jordan had been experimenting with them, back in april...
When I joined them for the test session, they played aound with a number of different spec wings, including one with a top element made from GRP not carbon, to allow more flex.
I didn't actually mention this in the article I wrote, mainly as I felt it might be going a little too far in regards to revealing details, however, given that this test is now in place, I guess it's ok to mention it.

Ed
Old 19 Aug 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1071496)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not illegal - as long as the wing passes the load tests from the FIA.

A degree of flexing will always happen, otherwise the wing would snap.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1071581)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any moveable aerodynamic device is illegal - they could change their scrutineering proceedure tomorrow and the teams would all have to altertheir wings. In fact, that is exactrly what has happenned in the case of the rear wing.

Obviously no movement at all is a physical impossibility, but when the design goes to lengths to ensure that the deflection is not only present but also predictable and happening in a beneficial way (in terms of performance) then it is pretty clear that the rules are being contravened. what we are talking about is the thin rearward elements of the wings, which have profiles specifically designed to deflect backwards and down at speed, rather than some general design criteria such as its being made of an inherently slightly flexible material and therefore being ever so slightly bendy in a general sense.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1071722)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems as if the rules themselves haven't been changed, but the procedure for seeing whether a team is following the rules (which are there for safety purposes as well as speed-limiting ones) has improved. It seems like a lot of teams have been 'flexing' this rule, but BAR have been the most dependent on it.

The fact that it's been amended just before 2 high-speed tracks in unfortunate, and it probably could've waited until next year, but ultimately rules are rules. I don't think BAR are being singled out - if they were, they'd've been disqualified in Germany for running what proved to be an ilelgal car in practice.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 09:38 (Ref:1072440)   #15
Glen
Veteran

I think the third car in practice is totally free - it might be underweight with a five litre engine and fully active computer controlled wings and it wouldn't matter.