Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 6 Jul 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3431186)   #1
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
McLaren M8A-2 sold overseas

I was disappointed to read of this in the Herald this morning http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11288746

It seems a shame that after fighting MOTAT for the possession of the car, it will now head overseas where Kiwis won't be able to see it any more. Seems that they should have just left it at MOTAT where we could have at least seen it. The comment that it would have been rotting away is incorrect, there are plenty of cars (and aircraft for that matter) on static display in museums around the world and this would have been preferable to the car leaving the country.

I do sympathise with the BMT about the ongoing costs, but if they had thought hard enough about this before embarking on the restoration and active retirement path the car perhaps would have stayed where it was.
Old 7 Jul 2014, 03:31 (Ref:3431242)   #2
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I was disappointed to read of this in the Herald this morning http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11288746

It seems a shame that after fighting MOTAT for the possession of the car, it will now head overseas where Kiwis won't be able to see it any more. Seems that they should have just left it at MOTAT where we could have at least seen it. The comment that it would have been rotting away is incorrect, there are plenty of cars (and aircraft for that matter) on static display in museums around the world and this would have been preferable to the car leaving the country.

I do sympathise with the BMT about the ongoing costs, but if they had thought hard enough about this before embarking on the restoration and active retirement path the car perhaps would have stayed where it was.
Agree. Makes me wonder why the Northern Sports Car Club ever gave up the rights to it. I hope they get some $$$ from it after rescuing and housing it for all those years. I know that originally the NSCC said no to it going, but obviously have had a change of mind.

To me this just shows the BMT is marking time, I would have thought it would have been a number one priority to keep this car in NZ, especially after they were basically gifted it. Sad news indeed.
Old 7 Jul 2014, 06:51 (Ref:3431285)   #3
MalcolmC
Racer

New Zealand
Down there a bit
MalcolmC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too was surprised to read this in the Herald.
I haven't been a member of the McLaren Trust for several years since the newsletters dried up, but was the car even advertised locally?

Does everyone who made donations to the restoration get their money back? Profiting from public donations does not sit well with me.

I understand their inability to fund the ongoing costs of ownership but giving the car to Southwards Museum would have relieved them of that burden.
Old 7 Jul 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3431334)   #4
KRDG
Rookie

KRDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who has it been sold to? Anyone know?

Maybe the new owner will be sympathetic like the Florida Mosquito owner who left his newly restored aircraft here for some time while the test flying was completed.