Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 12 Jan 2015, 08:35 (Ref:3492004)   #1
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RATE OUR RACE CIRCUITS

I thought it timely to rate our permanent race circuits.
The following are my thoughts and observations only.

PUKEKOHE
Convenient ,Historic Circuit nearest the population base of NZ.
Good transport network tailored to their major profile event, V8 Supercars.
Track surface quite tired except for recent alterations for Supercar.
Short circuit, but challenging to drivers.
Well supported by drivers and promoters.
Professionally operated facility.
Average viewing for spectators due to concrete walls.
Gets a good crowd once a year for the V8 Supercars.
Getting crowded out by suburbia , with noise issues.
Commercial / Industrial service area quite close.
Limited life expectancy, but hanging in there.

HAMPTON DOWNS
High profile location beside SH1.
Second newest track in NZ.
Good track surface, but a short circuit, and challenging for drivers. Originally designed to run anticlockwise.
Needs the track extension to give it a point of difference and a longer lap.
Had a bit of operating upheaval over it's short life, hopefully getting sorted now.
Hard to spectate from 1 area.
Good pit facilities.
Usable but unfinished facility requiring investment.
Waikato Council gun shy after Hamilton Street Race fiasco so unwilling to invest locally in race tracks.
Has a well supported commercial / industrial service area next door.
Been hurt by the extended life of Pukekohe.
This facility is the future of motor racing near Auckland.

TAUPO
Located centrally within the North Island, but struggles to attract a crowd.
Good challenging track layout, good distance, but surface is not aging well.
Good spectator track.
Attracts the North, South, East and West wind which brings dust, and detracts from spectators positive experience.
Good corporate facilities and pit bays.
Commercial / Industrial area onsite but appears to be not well supported.
Appears to operate more like a club facility than a commercial enterprise.
Has spare land for future activities.
Lots of local accommodation available.

MANFEILD
Servicing the lower half of the North Island.
Good challenging drivers track, good track distance, with an ageing surface requiring investment.
Good spectator facility, but prone to the West and South wind.
Well supported locally, and always attracts a large crowd for the Central District Field Days. Pitty the same can't be said for Motorsport events.
Good pit and corporate facilities.
Has lots of land for future activities.
Noise could be an issue due to the proximity to Fielding.
Seems to operate as a club facility, but answering to the local district council.
Some local accommodation, and plenty more in Palmerston North.
Facility deserves support.

RUAPUNA
Northern most South Island track on the outskirts of Christchurch.
Ageing facility and track.
Pits pretty basic for an established track for the Islands largest city.
Reasonable spectator viewing, can get a bit windy at times.
Challenging drivers track, better driven on a dry day.
Well supported by competitors and promoters.
Usual noise issues.
Speedway, next door, can attract bigger crowds in the evenings of track race meeting.
Industrial and commercial activities located in Christchurch suburbs along with accommodation.

LEVELS
Well maintained local club track north west of Timaru.
Very parochial and well loved by the locals.
Challenging drivers track, of good length, with reasonable spectator facilities.
Basic pits set out like a well groomed village, and pit lane is just that, pit lane.
The track getting near needing a bit of a makeover, but is still fit for purpose. The proud locals do extremely well with what they have to work with.
A bit hard done by with allocation of profile events.
A weekend facility with little weekday activity allowed, eg No mid week Targa recently.
Some neighbours prefer it quiet, so they should move elsewhere.
Commercial and Industrial activities located at Timaru along with accommodation for meetings.

HIGHLANDS
High profile location on SH6 near Queenstown.
Well funded private facility which is a showcase of what a budget can buy.
Long track by NZ standards, and a challenging drivers track.
NZ's newest track and facility, more like a tourist facility most of the year.
Average to good spectator viewing facility which is always immaculate.
Pit lane is very good, but pit facility is mostly marque. Very good corporate facilities. Expensive event spectating by local standards.
Large attendances at profile meetings so far, but numbers declining.
Onsite industrial park currently being built. More commercial and industrial facilities nearby at Cromwell along with some accommodation.
Noise issues with valley location and locals.
Many competitors and promoters only go there once, so some work needed on client retention.

TERETONGA
NZ's southern most race track, outside Invercargill.
Loved by the parochial locals, this track is a challenging drive and rather short.
Maintainence seems to be pretty up to date.
Facilities are basic but the locals don't care as some of them bring their own grandstands.
Profile summer events seem to coincide with wet weekends. Pit lane is basic, as well as the pit facilities, and can become a bit of a lake at times.
Commercial and industrial facilities along with accommodation are nearby at Invercargill.
Noise can be a bit of an issue, as with most tracks.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3492137)   #2
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good write up. Perhaps a few points are subjective, but I'm not in a position to say otherwise.

This may be the right place to ask. Why are grandstands generally only temporary? I can kind of understand at some tracks where it only justifies the need very irregularly, but at Pukekohe and Hampton Downs for instance, where there are regular large crowd numbers, surely it would make sense to put up a couple more permanent grandstands?
Old 12 Jan 2015, 19:46 (Ref:3492139)   #3
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good work.

And from an amateur photographer's perspective, with a normal telephoto lens, not a really long lens the size of a small telegraph pole, without media accreditation:

Pukekohe - severely limited. Either no access granted or surrounded by wire fencing and concrete.
Hampton Downs - many easily accessible spots and low fencing.
Taupo - without a media pass or access via the pits/paddock - severely limited
Manfeild - without media accreditation, severely limited
Teretonga - only been once (in heavy rain!), but looked to have possibilities.

I haven't visited the others so have no first hand knowledge, but comments from others appreciated.

As for stands. Good point. As much as anything, spectators need shelter from the sun/rain. At HD, there is an agreement that the view from the apartments (where the initial funding came from to build the track) will not be obstructed. The other reason is of course, cost! Once the track extension is built (and I am being positive here), there may be a justification for stands, but you have to be careful that by building a permanent covered stand, the view and access for other spectators is not compromised.

Franklin Racing Club owns Pukekohe and they aren't going to invest in more permanent stands as they wouldn't get a return on their investment, hence the temporary stands paid for by the promoters.

Last edited by socram; 12 Jan 2015 at 19:52.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3492177)   #4
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a race fan living in the UK who occasionally has enjoyed the infamous Kiwi hospitality around the various race tracks, I offer a few comments based on my experienced of 3 - 5 years ago.

Pukekohe - a shame that so much of the circuit does not accommodate spectators. Impossible to photograph even with a 400 lens. Some great racing until the rains come, then you might as well go home!

Hampton - Flag ship track ( sorry, not been to Cromwell) Has considered spectators, although would be good to offer viewing on the outside of turn 1.
Hopefully the inadequate PA system has had some money invested, you cannot offer a world event then have some speakers you you see at a garden party.
Offers some great racing with reasonable run off areas.

Taupo - Must be a drivers circuit as does little for me as a spectator, however always very friendly paddock.

Raupuna - a good traditional circuit with something for everyone. Amazingly at my last visit i pitched up and took a position by the fence and an hour later a local in a 4x4 tried to run myself and my wife over at speed as "we were stood in his position."

Teretonga - some real history here, could imagine Jim Clark coming down the straight, but yet its only a (very friendly) club track today. Long may it continue, but not a good place to have an accident. Long live Teretonga!

I look forward to returning maybe next year for some more legendary classic/historic racing.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 00:19 (Ref:3492236)   #5
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes Chris, the PA at Hampton has been upgraded! Keep in touch.

Porsche is the featured marque for 2016.

You might also find this of interest:

http://www.theroaringseason.com/foru...ral-Discussion
Old 13 Jan 2015, 06:44 (Ref:3492390)   #6
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
I thought it timely to rate our permanent race circuits.
The following are my thoughts and observations only.

PUKEKOHE
Convenient ,Historic Circuit nearest the population base of NZ.
Good transport network tailored to their major profile event, V8 Supercars.
Track surface quite tired except for recent alterations for Supercar.
Short circuit, but challenging to drivers.
Professionally operated facility.
Average viewing for spectators due to concrete walls. Best viewing circuit by far
Gets a good crowd once a year for the V8 Supercars.
Getting crowded out by suburbia , with noise issues.
Commercial / Industrial service area quite close.
Limited life expectancy, but hanging in there.

HAMPTON DOWNS
High profile location beside SH1.
Second newest track in NZ.
Good track surface, but a short circuit, and challenging for drivers. Originally designed to run anticlockwise.
Needs the track extension to give it a point of difference and a longer lap.
Had a bit of operating upheaval over it's short life, hopefully getting sorted now.
Hard to spectate from 1 area.
Good pit facilities.
Usable but unfinished facility requiring investment.
Waikato Council gun shy after Hamilton Street Race fiasco so unwilling to invest locally in race tracks.
Has a well supported commercial / industrial service area next door.
Been hurt by the extended life of Pukekohe.
This facility is the future of motor racing near Auckland.

TAUPO
Located centrally within the North Island, but struggles to attract a crowd.
Good challenging track layout, good distance, but surface is not aging well.
Good spectator track.
Good corporate facilities and pit bays. Best Pit and Corporate facilities in New Zealand with out a doubt
Commercial / Industrial area onsite but appears to be not well supported.
Appears to operate more like a club facility than a commercial enterprise.
Has spare land for future activities.
Lots of excellent accommodation, restaurants, and Leisure facilities available

MANFEILD
Servicing the lower half of the North Island.
Good challenging drivers track, good track distance, with an ageing surface requiring investment.
Good spectator facility, but prone to the West and South wind and rain
Well supported locally, and always attracts a large crowd for the Central District Field Days. Pitty the same can't be said for Motorsport events.
Very limited but good pit and corporate facilities.
Has lots of land for future activities.
Noise could be an issue due to the proximity to Fielding.
Seems to operate as a club facility, but answering to the local district council.
Some local accommodation, and plenty more in Palmerston North.
Facility deserves support.

RUAPUNA
Northern most South Island track on the outskirts of Christchurch.
Ageing facility and track. Shite Hole
Pits pretty basic for an established track for the Islands largest city.
Reasonable spectator viewing, can get a bit windy at times.
Challenging drivers track, better driven on a dry day.
Well supported by competitors and promoters.
Usual noise issues.
Speedway, next door, can attract bigger crowds in the evenings of track race meeting.
Industrial and commercial activities located in Christchurch suburbs along with accommodation.

LEVELS
Well maintained local club track north west of Timaru.
Very parochial and well loved by the locals.
Challenging drivers track, of good length, with reasonable spectator facilities.
Basic pits set out like a well groomed village, and pit lane is just that, pit lane.
The track getting near needing a bit of a makeover, but is still fit for purpose. The proud locals do extremely well with what they have to work with.
A bit hard done by with allocation of profile events. Major noise Issue
A weekend facility with little weekday activity allowed, eg No mid week Targa recently.
Some neighbours prefer it quiet, so they should move elsewhere.
Commercial and Industrial activities located at Timaru along with accommodation for meetings.

HIGHLANDS
High profile location on SH6 near Queenstown.
Well funded private facility which is a showcase of what a budget can buy.
Long track by NZ standards, and a challenging drivers track.
NZ's newest track and facility, more like a tourist facility most of the year.
Average to good spectator viewing facility which is always immaculate.
Pit lane is very good, but pit facility is mostly marque. Very good corporate facilities. Expensive event spectating by local standards.
Large attendances at profile meetings so far, but numbers declining. Agreed
Onsite industrial park currently being built. More commercial and industrial facilities nearby at Cromwell along with some accommodation.
Noise issues with valley location and locals.
Many competitors and promoters only go there once, so some work needed on client retention. Agreed

TERETONGA
NZ's southern most race track, outside Invercargill.
Loved by the parochial locals, this track is a challenging drive and rather short.
Maintainence seems to be pretty up to date.
Facilities are basic but the locals don't care as some of them bring their own grandstands.
Well supported by drivers. Only
Profile summer events seem to coincide with wet weekends. Pit lane is basic, as well as the pit facilities, and can become a bit of a lake at times.
Commercial and industrial facilities along with accommodation are nearby at Invercargill.
Noise can be a bit of an issue, as with most tracks.
My views in RED above.

As an ex Promotor the only race track thats commercially viable from a Promotor's point of view is Pukekohe, in years to come and with a lot of new investment Hampton Down's should logically become the best circuit in New Zealand LIMO.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 07:25 (Ref:3492394)   #7
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Pukekohe best viewing circuit for paying spectators Mark? Beg to differ!

It used to be far better when you could watch from the inside of Jennian Homes into the esses and also the outside of the hairpin - without catch fencing. The older footbridge tends to block the view. Not a fan of wire fencing at all as taking pics is totally compromised.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3492574)   #8
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Pukekohe best viewing circuit for paying spectators Mark? Beg to differ!

It used to be far better when you could watch from the inside of Jennian Homes into the esses and also the outside of the hairpin - without catch fencing. The older footbridge tends to block the view. Not a fan of wire fencing at all as taking pics is totally compromised.
With respect Ray, I don't think the average paying spectator or corporate punter considers taking action pictures of race cars as any sort of priority.

Pukekohe's pit bridge has been in place for 20 years now and provides an excellent link to the inside of the circuit for keen photographers, as well as close to the action spectating.

The 'bleaches on the hill still provide fantastic viewing, as does almost all the grandstand seat's. The view from the top grandstand is unrivaled in this country, and probably in Australia.

If you are willing to pay for top quality food and booze Pukekohe can provide it with excellent onsite facilities.

The leafy trees in the park like entrances to the circuit are also just about unrivaled in Australasia.

Sure the inside pits leave a lot to be desired and the smelly dunies, but they are also working to improve those facilities as well, so don't write of Puke to soon. Yes it will become a casualty of the urban swell, but I give it at least another decade, maybe longer, before it finally close up shop.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 05:47 (Ref:3492662)   #9
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
I'd have to disagree with you there, Socram. I've shot Pukekohe many a time before and after the upgrades were made. Whilst with the upgrades to the circuit it's has gotten rid of some nice shots, it has however opened up several knew places to photograph for both media and spectators. The new sections offers plenty of variation in terms of photos, and even allows you to go down to the hairpin. I'd like to get your perspective as to where around the circuit you think the 'best' photo opportunities have been ruined, mostly from a spectators view.

As Ansel Adams famously once said, A good photographer is knowing where to stand.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 06:33 (Ref:3492673)   #10
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Without a flag marshal's access, or media pass, the exit to Jennian's was a favourite and also the outside of the hairpin. The previous long circuit offered a fair few options too.

To be fair, on my last visit, a low key meeting, in the high wind and rain, not all marshal's posts were occupied and I managed a fair few shots from vantage points that wouldn't have been accessible at a larger meeting, so yes, there are extra vantage points, but I doubt they'd be as accessible at a higher profile meeting. The 'slot in the wire fence' on the new section, for photographers is laughably low. OK if you are only 5ft 5" tall maybe!

Although pits access may offer a few vantage points, once again, that isn't always accessible without an extra fee.

The hill/mountain whatever you want to call it was fine before the new fencing went in.

From a flaggies perspective, favourites were always the entrance and exit to the Esses/Railway Corner. Out of bounds to spectators then and now.

Just a point though, why is it that at most tracks, you can't walk all the way around the outside? It is always nice to get a different viewpoint (especially given the position of the sun).

HD scores as you can get around most of the inside (apart from turn 1 and the sweeper) even within a single sprint race. Turns 2, 3, 4 and 5 (hairpins) are great viewing spots.

Last edited by socram; 14 Jan 2015 at 06:55.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 06:35 (Ref:3492674)   #11
Dav1s
Rookie

Dav1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasnt aware of the noise issue at Timaru, does anybody care to elaborate?

I have been there a few times and as far as I can remember the circuit seemed miles away from anything/anyone that cares for noise (apart from a pig farm and the airport?)
Old 14 Jan 2015, 08:46 (Ref:3492692)   #12
The Realist
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav1s View Post
I wasnt aware of the noise issue at Timaru, does anybody care to elaborate?

I have been there a few times and as far as I can remember the circuit seemed miles away from anything/anyone that cares for noise (apart from a pig farm and the airport?)
The locals don't like noise during the week.
Even Targa run there had to cancelled as that type of weekday competition wasn't permitted within the conditions of the existing resource consent.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 10:14 (Ref:3492702)   #13
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With reference to the noise problem, many years ago I was on the Manfield Board when we first came up against formal noise complaints. Many months and $$$ later we had developed a plan that the council of the time was happy with. Timaru immediately asked to be able to use our plan as a basis for working with their council. So Timaru has had noise issues for at least 15 years+
Old 14 Jan 2015, 17:51 (Ref:3492800)   #14
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Double that.
A relative of the then mayor bough a place out that way in the mid to late 80s and decided the nasty raceway was spoiling her tranquility.

It speaks volumes for the passion and tenacity of the SCCC that the track still exists
Old 14 Jan 2015, 19:25 (Ref:3492830)   #15
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
Double that.
A relative of the then mayor bough a place out that way in the mid to late 80s and decided the nasty raceway was spoiling her tranquility.
then moved under the flight path of the airport and in proximity to Ruapuna and started their NIMBY behaviour all over again.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 19:42 (Ref:3492835)   #16
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To answer some of the Levels questions.

Does Levels have noise issues? The in my view short answer is NO.

What Levels has is a very complex resource consent that was fought for 15+ years ago, over about 2 years by myself and the committees of the time. Over $100000 was spent. There was a serious risk that the circuit could have been forced to close. One small part of the consent is noise levels which in fact equate the the motorsport level of 95DBA.
What is probably more restrictive is the number of days the track can be used for motorsport.

The Realists comment about week day usage is also not right.
The consent does state that there by no motorsport on a Monday or a Tuesday, if Targa had been here anytime from Wednesday to Sunday there would have been no problem.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 20:06 (Ref:3492838)   #17
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
To answer some of the Levels questions.

Does Levels have noise issues? The in my view short answer is NO.

What Levels has is a very complex resource consent that was fought for 15+ years ago, over about 2 years by myself and the committees of the time. Over $100000 was spent. There was a serious risk that the circuit could have been forced to close. One small part of the consent is noise levels which in fact equate the the motorsport level of 95DBA.
What is probably more restrictive is the number of days the track can be used for motorsport.

The Realists comment about week day usage is also not right.
The consent does state that there by no motorsport on a Monday or a Tuesday, if Targa had been here anytime from Wednesday to Sunday there would have been no problem.
Hi Bill,
The reason you have resource consent issue's is because of noise issue's.

Granted that on the very limited day's that you are allowed to run race meeting's and or testing, there is no issue as all the competitors can easily meet the 95 Db, or should be able to.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3492852)   #18
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Hi Bill,
The reason you have resource consent issue's is because of noise issue's.

Granted that on the very limited day's that you are allowed to run race meeting's and or testing, there is no issue as all the competitors can easily meet the 95 Db, or should be able to.
Hi Mark

Yes noise was part of the problem at the time.

What I wanted to clear up is that the club is not having any current noise issues that I am aware of, which is what the posts were inferring.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3492903)   #19
The Realist
Racer

Quote:
Hi Mark

Yes noise was part of the problem at the time.

What I wanted to clear up is that the club is not having any current noise issues that I am aware of, which is what the posts were inferring.
No offence meant Bill, and thanks for the clarification.
As I said in my original post, I like the track, the parochial attitude and the pride shown in the facility. I enjoy going there.
Levels is a bit hard done by with allocation of national profile events, and should get at least 1 round a year where you can showcase the place and make a few dollars for Levels.
Big profile tracks get more profile meetings, and frequently do a ho hum job of hosting them. Levels deserves better than it gets.
Old 15 Jan 2015, 10:12 (Ref:3493016)   #20
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong,
but isn't it only allowed 5 Sundays a year?
Old 23 Jan 2015, 18:35 (Ref:3495663)   #21
The Realist
Racer

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-tim...hundreds-south

Teretonga doing their bit for this weekends racing.
Not a mention of the TRS in this article