Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jun 2012, 12:16 (Ref:3087962)   #2226
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see Bernie is praising Sky for generating one million viewers per race. Which you simply don't get with the Beeb apparently.

Only a matter of time before it all goes to Sky it would seem. A real shame.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3088040)   #2227
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Thank heavens for that, i was losing sleep over that
You're not going to get the reaction you are fishing for with that one, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I see Bernie is praising Sky for generating one million viewers per race. Which you simply don't get with the Beeb apparently.
Only a matter of time before it all goes to Sky it would seem. A real shame.
Its certainly looking like its going that way unfortunately. If it does I'll have to drop it reluctantly as there is no way I could afford to pay for it. I can't see a future following a sport through YouTube clips and reading articles on the internet. If Bernie thinks 700k viewers on average is enough to congratulate Sky on doing a good job, then it really isn't about viewing figures or the outreach of fans. The BBC have consistently attracted over 80% of the total viewers this season and you don't have to be a mathematician to work out they are providing the primary coverage to UK viewers. Surely that is good for sponsors and business in general? You would think.

Sky have done a fair job overall but are never going to have an audience the size of a FTA channel, and the Beeb have done a fantastic job so far this season. It begs the question, 'exactly how much money does Formula One make from the fans'? Judging by the way Bernie is keen to cut the viewing figures down by almost three quarters in the UK, you'd have to conclude that the fans are very low down on his agenda. As much I have enjoyed watching Sky fall short this year, it seems the quality of the coverage is irrelevant as it'll succeed regardless. Very poor foresight IMO.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3088043)   #2228
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the viewing figures don't pick when it is exclusively pay to view then how will sponsors justify remaining in the sport? I don't get it.

What does my head in is Bernie going "Sky has ten million subscribers, the Beeb only pulls in seven million audience" which is so misleading that it is, frankly, offensive.

But yeah, good old Bernie, he's on a windup lol etc...
Old 9 Jun 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3088053)   #2229
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
If the viewing figures don't pick when it is exclusively pay to view then how will sponsors justify remaining in the sport? I don't get it.

What does my head in is Bernie going "Sky has ten million subscribers, the Beeb only pulls in seven million audience" which is so misleading that it is, frankly, offensive.

I quite agree. Ten million subscribers, yet they are lucky to break one million viewers (10%) on average per race is hardly a bragging right IMO. The BBC have a potential audience of 30m (approx) with over 24,877,070 TV licenses presently issued in the UK, yet Bernie has not used this to congratulate them for their outreach. I appreciate the BBC attract a fair amount of casual viewers and channel flickers but this is still an important audience for sponsors and keeping the sport in the public eye.

If F1 goes completely on the PPV TV, then sponsors relying on the British market will either reduce their investment, or teams will look for sponsors from further a field. Vodafone, and Santander to name just two rely heavily on the British market for example and both pay obscene amounts of money to be involved and are not ging to be interested in barely a million viewers tuning in for each race. This may be just Bernies way of winding up fans (something he enjoys doing) as I can't see PPV being a realistic option to one of the largest audiences in Europe.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3088126)   #2230
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
You're not going to get the reaction you are fishing for with that one, sorry.
I wasn't actually after a reaction, so no need to apologise. You reply to me, i reply to you, simple as that.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3088142)   #2231
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I swear Lazenby is getting worse. The early season nerves have gone but the awful and embarassing performances continue.

If Sky want to improve their F1 shows they need to ditch him and find someone that can do the job.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3088153)   #2232
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Simon rocks.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3088163)   #2233
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And sways, and ums and ahs.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 19:33 (Ref:3088168)   #2234
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

He has to spin it that way.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3088177)   #2235
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He has to spin it that way.
He's fooling nobody and no doubt he knows that behind closed doors.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3088200)   #2236
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Simon is rather irritating.

I thought he started OK, but he has actually gone downhill at an alarming rate. Should be an estate agent frankly.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3088204)   #2237
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I struggle to see the "sport" ever recovering from this debacle.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3088206)   #2238
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
He's fooling nobody and no doubt he knows that behind closed doors.
Yes, I agree. Bernie is a lot of things maybe but stupid with figures he's not.

If the depression deepens and marketing budgets get squeezed, Spanish banks for example, then you might just see a volte-face when it comes to trashing free to air TV.

As for Lazenby I'm speechless. How he still has a job is beyond me he is so out of his depth. But that's showbusiness.....
Old 9 Jun 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3088212)   #2239
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Simon is the best. And plays table tennis using his ipad with Jake every Saturday night at GP. When Jake isn't at the football.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3088271)   #2240
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Simon is the best. And plays table tennis using his ipad with Jake every Saturday night at GP. When Jake isn't at the football.
I feel a whole lot better for knowing that, .
Old 10 Jun 2012, 08:22 (Ref:3088349)   #2241
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Bernie should've left the sport in the early 90's. Retire like normal people do. Sharks never retire I guess.

Descent venues are priced out by these deserts where the only detectable reaction to the GP is met with the whizzing sound of plastic bullets in the morning, the races are being gradually ring fenced by broadcasters ransoming the sport to those who want to see it live (as opposed to producing a substantially superior product) and now after a decade or so selling the sport out to some other sharks who barely know what racing is, we get this dubious flotation which is driven by pure greed. If he had left the sport in the early 90's the sport would've been rich but not too rich, popular but not too popular. The sport is now a pure cashcow for Bernie's entertainment and it isn't on the track where Bernie has been getting his kicks.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3088353)   #2242
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having watched qualifying live at a pal's who has Sky I then watched the BBC highlight show later on.

In my opinion the BBC won easily. Having a lead commentator in Ben Edwards who knows his business, and has actually won motor races and championships himself makes all the difference compared to Crofty, who would be just as happy commentating on darts.

Coulthard has really upped his game, still races actively in DTM and has experience of last year's Red Bull and Anderson is worth more than Ted and Herbert put together. Georgie is, well just Georgie I suppose.

Sky must review these shows too, and Brundle must know by now they've got a hell of a way to go before anyone in F1 considers them the "lead" UK F1 broadcaster.... not that he'll care too much on his salary.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3088446)   #2243
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched the quali on sky including most of the pre-show and in my opinion the overall quality of the show was dire, it was dogged by Simon Lazenby being an embarrassment to himself and everyone he spoke to and failed attempts to communicate effectively via the "Skypad". The commentary was also poor and failed to build any atmosphere, the best part of the experience was the live timing on my laptop direct from F1.com.

This morning I watched the BBC qually highlights on iPlayer, even knowing the result it was ten times the quality of the Sky show.

I'll watch all the races I can live this year (I have sky sports anyway for my wife's tennis and snooker fix) but I certainly won't be watching Sky when the BBC are carrying it and if this weekend is anything to go by if it was all Sky I don't think it'd hold my interest and I'd probably fall back to just following F1 via internet news services and the press.

I used to think:

1. I'd miss Martin Brundle's commentary
2. Britain should join the Euro

These two turned out to be about the same level!

By the way I'm not always wrong, when the OWG was hatching DRS I warned people that we could soon be moaning about it being too easy to overtake and everyone on here took the P***
Old 10 Jun 2012, 12:37 (Ref:3088453)   #2244
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Seeing as the highlights are on too late tonight on the BBC, I am planning to miss the build up and watch the race live on Sky with 5Live Sports Extra commentary. I caught the end of qualifying yesterday and just can't handle Croft screaming over the top of Brundle and James Allen appears to have toned down his shouting and ridiculous Senna comparisons.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3088544)   #2245
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Sniff is watching it on FOX. Sounds dreadful.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 18:52 (Ref:3088549)   #2246
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I'm successfully defeating the forces of evil.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 19:49 (Ref:3088574)   #2247
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Just watched my first race on Sky throughout. I'm guessing that the co-commentator of MB is this dreaded Lazenby - he sounds like a boy scout having his gonads squeezed.

Apart from that, couldn't see any difference from the Beeb.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3088596)   #2248
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Just watched my first race on Sky throughout. I'm guessing that the co-commentator of MB is this dreaded Lazenby - he sounds like a boy scout having his gonads squeezed.

HA Ha no that is the dreaded Crofty, so inane and uninformed he actually raises my blood pressure to dangerous levels....

I think I'll stick to the highlights on the BBC when it's a Sky race now rather than go to a pal's house and shout at his TV.....
Old 10 Jun 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3088607)   #2249
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Crofty is no where near as good as the BBC commentator we used to listen to on the radio last year - everyone loved him.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3088624)   #2250
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post

I prefer the BBC but as long as I can watch the race I'll put up with Sky's coverage.

Tags
outrage, sky