Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 8 Jan 2015, 03:19 (Ref:3490879)   #26
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
However, you will never convince the die-hard 'motorsport is boring' critics to see anything of interest, no matter how hard you try.
Aint that the truth! (cue my parents!!! "its just cars going round and round, theres no skill involved" - HA!)
Old 8 Jan 2015, 06:29 (Ref:3490892)   #27
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TV One news tonight (BEFORE the sports news!), the Ferrari 458 destined for Bathurst, Jono Lester took TV 1 reporter Matt(?) for a blat around Hampton Downs. Terrified him no doubt...
Old 8 Jan 2015, 09:04 (Ref:3490921)   #28
Trevor NZ
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Trevor NZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Aint that the truth! (cue my parents!!! "its just cars going round and round, theres no skill involved" - HA!)
Sticky tyres and cars on rails have taken away a lot of the spectacle, even though the classics sometimes put on a good show. Hence the circus of drifting is on the up and up and peedway is still doing quite well.

I once had an interesting chat with retired sterling Moss. At the time he commented that he had lost all interest after the advent of sticky tyres.
Old 8 Jan 2015, 19:03 (Ref:3491051)   #29
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems as though the Herald also had a ride with Jono. Got a half page coverage today, which is more than they usually give to the results/report of any race meeting. (With the exception of dog meat and dog racing of course.)

Would it have got the coverage if it was a Hyundai, a Ssang Yong or a Falcodore Ute? I think not, but Ferraris, Aston Martins and Lambo's still have the glamour aspect.
Old 9 Jan 2015, 00:37 (Ref:3491148)   #30
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Would it have got the coverage if it was a Hyundai, .
If it was Hayden Paddon's new car it most certainly would
Old 10 Jan 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3491695)   #31
Dav1s
Rookie

Dav1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems as though the Herald also had a ride with Jono. Got a half page coverage today, which is more than they usually give to the results/report of any race meeting. (With the exception of dog meat and dog racing of course.)

Would it have got the coverage if it was a Hyundai, a Ssang Yong or a Falcodore Ute? I think not, but Ferraris, Aston Martins and Lambo's still have the glamour aspect.
I too noticed that and found it facinating so much coverage was given in the main stream media for what is a shakedown event.

I also saw TV3 had some coverage too, a good minute and a bit as well.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 01:10 (Ref:3491754)   #32
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav1s View Post
I too noticed that and found it facinating so much coverage was given in the main stream media for what is a shakedown event.

I also saw TV3 had some coverage too, a good minute and a bit as well.
Having employed many journalist's over the 20 years I owned NZ Autocar magazine, I can assure you that almost to a man/woman they are generally all self serving in what they write about, and the space they are going to push through the senior editor.

Give a journalist a free trip overseas to write about something that they can drive at home and they will triple the amount of words and photo's on the subject car, that they otherwise would if it was their turn in a car companies press fleet.

There is not one so called 'motoring noter' such as the NZ herald's Eric Thompson who would not wax lyrical about a few hot laps in a $500K plus, factory built Racing Ferrari, but look sniffingly down his nose at some hot laps in a muscle-car, that is unless Scott Dixon or somebody equally famous was behind the wheel.

Its just human nature, and to be fair most of them are poorly paid with very few exception's so a "free anything" get's their attention very quickly.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 06:59 (Ref:3491778)   #33
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Funny you should say that Mark. Having now organised something like 18 annual awards dinners for our series and not only kept several motoring journalists informed throughout the year(s), they have always had an invite to the dinner.

Only one has ever responded in any way, shape or form and that is Chris Poland, formerly a contributor to NZCC - and he was a part timer. We accept that we are way down the pecking order; don't offer freebies; unlimited supplies of alcohol or five star travel etc., but common courtesy in my book, at least demands a response, even if only to say 'delete from your mailing list'.

Nice to see the Alfa supporters loudly cheering on the winner of our second handicap race today at Taupo! We had 33 entries; no crashes; 29 starters and 29 finishers in the final series handicap race of the weekend. Spectator entry was free. I believe there were 160+ entries for the meeting, with Super Karts, Formula Libre, Historic FF, Honda Cup, Classic Trial, Rotary, NZ Super Lap, Alfa Trofeo, ERC, Classic Japanese.

A meeting not aimed at spectators, but I am sure those who did attend would have had a pleasant weekend.