Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:11 (Ref:3700491)   #1326
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
Noticed that since you posted this, Rob's name has been removed from the original article. There's now just a gap between "BMW 125i M Sport" and "AMD". Last minute deal fell through or name taken off as not to 'spoil' the 'news'?

Anyway, looking forward to ASI!
Well spotted. Hopefully, it was just removed as a spoiler alert.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3700493)   #1327
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryDG View Post
Goff back to BMR and Turkington back to WSR?
From Jack Goff's Twitter when asked "any joy with getting your ride back next season" referring to the BTCC BMW he replied "Unfortunately not" so it seems very unlikely he'll be back at WSR.

Hope he can get a top drive like BMR or Motorbase!

Last edited by luckn002; 6 Jan 2017 at 10:21.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3700500)   #1328
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by plater99 View Post
Does anyone know if Kelvin Fletcher has a drive for next year?
I know few people were skepticial about his credentials, but I geninually believed he showed some promise last season. He showed good pace in free pratice getting quicker and improving, he was just very unfortunate he couldnt string this into great race results, although often this was due to other factors outside his control due to some careless driving at the back of the field.
I thought Fletcher was hugely disappointing last year to be brutally honest. A nice guy, absolutely, but not yet ready for the BTCC and that showed. Think Nic Hamilton - has ability, but needs to learn his trade for a few more years on the support package before making the step up.

The fact that he was comfortably outscored by Dave Newsham in the (2?) rounds he did tells its own story.

Anyway, on the Motorbase 2nd seat, I'd absolutely love to see Jake Hill get it. I'm also very surprised by KG's Facebook posts to be honest - I didn't think we'd see him back this year, especially not with Team Hard after the..erm...divorce last time out.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 12:41 (Ref:3700533)   #1329
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest Motorbase tweet:

Looking forward to next week...new driver(s) revealed & a chance to show off our new 2017 look on the @DunlopLive #BTCC stand!

So potentially both drivers revealed!
Old 6 Jan 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3700570)   #1330
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Latest Motorbase tweet:

Looking forward to next week...new driver(s) revealed & a chance to show off our new 2017 look on the @DunlopLive #BTCC stand!

So potentially both drivers revealed!
Heard they are very close with signing the 3rd driver so that fits

I also clocked that Rob Austin was originally listed by the Handy announcement, was going to post that it looked like he was staying with them as expected, but noticed it was quickly changed. More due to being a spoiler I think than any last minute changes!
Old 6 Jan 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3700572)   #1331
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steel Seal switches from PMR to Halfords Yuasa Racing.

http://www.btcc.net/2017/01/06/steel-seal-deal/

Small point, but the wording suggests the both Halfords and Yuasa and naming-rights sponsors again in 2017, despite that black body-shell tweeted by Neal throwing some off the scent.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3700588)   #1332
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Steel Seal switches from PMR to Halfords Yuasa Racing.

http://www.btcc.net/2017/01/06/steel-seal-deal/

Small point, but the wording suggests the both Halfords and Yuasa and naming-rights sponsors again in 2017, despite that black body-shell tweeted by Neal throwing some off the scent.
Steal Seal are owned by the parent company of Power Maxed. They're not leaving the team as such, just expanding their exposure.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3700625)   #1333
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1+1 = 3 so Rob Austin at Motorbase
Old 6 Jan 2017, 17:44 (Ref:3700628)   #1334
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Martin leaves BTCC.
http://www.touringcars.net/2017/01/a...carrera-cup-gb
Old 6 Jan 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3700631)   #1335
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No loss.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3700636)   #1336
AJD
Rookie

AJD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First post so hello all.

Agree about Martin being no loss. Can't say I fully agree with his reasons for his own poor showings last year. Sure the switch from RWD to FWD may be tough but I think quite a bit was down to his driving ability/style he just didn't adapt well to the series at all. Hopefully someone picks up the focus, runs it well and gets it at the pointy end of the pack where Jackson seems to stick it on a regular basis.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3700637)   #1337
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
the marshalls and drivers at the back must be happy
Old 6 Jan 2017, 18:20 (Ref:3700639)   #1338
porsche962fan
Veteran

removed Martin (thankfully)

Team Dynamics - Honda Civic - Matt Neal
Team Dynamics - Honda Civic - Gordon Shedden
Simpson Racing - Honda Civic - Mat Simpson

Eurotech - Honda Civic - Jeff Smith ???
Eurotech - Honda Civic - ????

Speedworks - Toyota Avensis - Tom Ingram

Handy Motorsport - Toyota Avensis - Rob Austin ?

PMR - Vauxhall Astra - Senna Proctor
PMR - vauxhall Astra - Tom Chilton

BMR - Subaru Levorg - Jason Plato
BMR - Subaru Levorg - Colin Turkington ?
BMR - Subaru Levorg - Warren Scott ???
BMR - Subaru Levorg - James Cole ?

888 - MG - Ash Sutton ??
888 - MG - ???

WSR - BMW 125 - Andrew Jordan
WSR - BMW 125 - Rob Collard ????
WSR - BMW 125 - ????

Motorbase - Ford Focus - Mat Jackson
Motorbase - Ford Focus - ???
Motorbase - Ford Focus - ???

Cicely Racing - Mercedes A-Class - Adam Morgan

Laser Tools - Mercedes A-Class - Aidan Moffat

AMD - Audi S3 - Ollie Jackson
AMD - Audi S3 - ??????

HARD - VW CC - Will Burns
HARD - VW CC - Mike Epps
HARD - VW CC - ?????

Team Parker Racing - Ford Focus - ?????

Maximum - Ford Focus - Stewart Lines ???

BTC Norlin - Chevrolet Cruze - Chris Smiley
BTC Norlin - Chevrolet Cruze - Dave Newsham

Last edited by porsche962fan; 6 Jan 2017 at 18:26.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 18:24 (Ref:3700640)   #1339
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Steal Seal are owned by the parent company of Power Maxed. They're not leaving the team as such, just expanding their exposure.
Poses an interesting scenario though in the manufacturers championship if PMR's main backer is funding their No. 1 rival?!
Old 6 Jan 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3700641)   #1340
porsche962fan
Veteran

please PMR is noway near Team Dynamics league, neither with cars or drivers and neither of WSR or BMR

they might be very lucky if they can compete with 888 in the manufacturers championship
Old 6 Jan 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3700651)   #1341
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder who will drive for Team Parker... They have a big pool of drivers in Porsches, maybe Stephen Jelley will return? Or Dan Lloyd? Both have raised for Parker recently.

Or Barry Horne of course - points scorer on his debut with Dextra Racing

Lea Wood has confirmed a second season of Pickups, so doubt he will be back.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3700669)   #1342
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Agree on Alex Martin, he had his chance, but just never lost that ragged edge, so it's a relief for those further down the field

In other news, Sonic has confirmed he will race in both BTCC/WTCC this season. The last person to do that was Thommo in 09 (as well as DTC and Aussie V8s!). I assume though that BTCC will be the priority for him, like Plato in 05
Old 6 Jan 2017, 21:27 (Ref:3700688)   #1343
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I assume though that BTCC will be the priority for him, like Plato in 05
I doubt it!

Good news on Martin leaving, and Howard. Neither have any business at all on a proper grid.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3700701)   #1344
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
In other news, Sonic has confirmed he will race in both BTCC/WTCC this season. The last person to do that was Thommo in 09 (as well as DTC and Aussie V8s!).
Thompson only did a part-season in both BTCC/WTCC (and just 2 races in Aussie V8s), not the full season Chilton is planning.

Last person to race both BTCC and WTCC in the same year was Robb Holland in 2012, although that was just 2 BTCC rounds and 1 WTCC round.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 23:09 (Ref:3700702)   #1345
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be an interesting comparison to see where BTCC and WTCC are at in terms of driving talent. I accept that it's not a pure comparison as the Citroen will be a guaranteed front runner, where the Astra may not be that quick out the box, and it may take a bit of time for Tom to adapt to NGTC cars.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 23:12 (Ref:3700703)   #1346
Ry44
Racer

Ry44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
I wonder who will drive for Team Parker... They have a big pool of drivers in Porsches, maybe Stephen Jelley will return? Or Dan Lloyd? Both have raised for Parker recently.

Or Barry Horne of course - points scorer on his debut with Dextra Racing

Lea Wood has confirmed a second season of Pickups, so doubt he will be back.
The first name with connections to Team Parker that I thought of was actually Tom Onslow Cole but very much doubt he will be making a return we can all wish though.
Old 7 Jan 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3700755)   #1347
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry44 View Post
The first name with connections to Team Parker that I thought of was actually Tom Onslow Cole but very much doubt he will be making a return we can all wish though.
I think we may just see the person with the deepest pockets take that ride, seems Martin's company paid for them to run his car, I don't think they have a load of sponsors on board. There may be hope for Mark Howard, Kelvin Fletcher & co yet! I hope not & would love to see someone like Jelly or Horne in the car, but we know that it comes down to £££.
Old 7 Jan 2017, 08:50 (Ref:3700757)   #1348
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post

Not sure why black would suggest something other than Halfords/Yuasa.
It would make a better base for both brands, as they both have black in their corporate colours. I would suggest a better base than having to introduce a black panel(s) for Yuasa like last year.

It would make even more sense if the Steel Seal deal has been on the cards for a while, as black is also common to their brand.
Old 7 Jan 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3700758)   #1349
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the best to Alex, but I'm not sad to see him go. He never looked comfortable in FWD, and became more and more erratic and incident prone the longer time went on - frustration I guess.

Looking forward to seeing who gets the car - it can be quick in the right hands, as Horne showed.
Old 7 Jan 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3700759)   #1350
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not sure why black would suggest something other than Halfords/Yuasa.
It would make a better base for both brands, as they both have black in their corporate colours. I would suggest a better base than having to introduce a black panel(s) for Yuasa like last year.

It would make even more sense if the Steel Seal deal has been on the cards for a while, as black is also common to their brand.
Whilst the Halfords orange and black livery has been pretty common since the Civic EP3 days (the only changes being the difference between the black elements, flames/flashes/tears etc) if you look at Halfords branding in recent years then an orange base is not a given any more. Sure their logo (on the stores at least) is black on orange, but their website has seen a recent shift to an orange logo against a dark grey (think matt black) background so a livery with a black base with orange flashes could look quite striking.

However its starting to look like a patchwork quilt of colours:

halfords - Orange + Black
YUASA - Red + White + Black
Steel Seal - Yellow + Black
Honda (if they still have a presence) - Red + White + Black

There's a risk the livery is going to look messy with lots of logos (don't forget theres likely to be an oil brand (Castrol/Petronas) and I guess Nextbase will still be on the car) and a return to a more independent style billboard appearance.

Fingers crossed they've got a great graphic designer on board who can knit this all together in a successful manner!