Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Aug 2016, 16:55 (Ref:3668652)   #1
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
2016 FIA WEC 6 Hours of Mexico - Race Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Isn't it about time for a Mexico City race weekend thread?
Yes. Yes it is.

After what feels like the customary 8+ week break (but what has actually only been 6 weeks), the WEC is back at it's extra round for 2016, the 6 Hours of Mexico. While this isn't the first time the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez has hosted sportscars, the circuit has undergone a number of changes since its races in the WSC. However the challenges posed by the unprecedented 7500 ft altitude remain, with the thin air making it harder to extract the horsepower, downforce and cooling required to set consistently fast lap times.

(Less of the green and this poster would be magnificent ...)

Schedule

Entry List

Track Map - FIA WEC, Wikipedia

Spotter Guide

Live Timing

Streaming* - Radio Le Mans (Audio), FIA WEC (Paid)

FRC 2016 - WEC Round 5: Mexico
*Links to free streams will be posted as they are made available.

Last edited by joeb; 31 Aug 2016 at 02:05.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 17:53 (Ref:3668658)   #2
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speed´s faster then Le Mans?!?!?!?!?!

360 km/h!!!???

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/a...tm_content=www
Old 30 Aug 2016, 18:05 (Ref:3668659)   #3
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Speed´s faster then Le Mans?!?!?!?!?!

360 km/h!!!???

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/a...tm_content=www
F1 cars last year were doing Monza top speeds with Monaco levels of wing. In the case of LMP1 - turbocharged cars lose less power at altitude compared to N/A cars, and thinner air means a lot less drag (a lot less downforce too), so even with the biggest wings they run they'll probably be getting less downforce and drag than at Le Mans. Couple that with no 300kw limit on hybrid boost, and a main straight over 1.5 km long, and top speeds are going to be insane.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 18:05 (Ref:3668660)   #4
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
They predicted that such speeds could be likely at Le Mans, but most of the cars topped out at about 205-210mph. Audi's onboard telemetry from LM had them topping out at barely above 200mph. Also, all cars will be running max downforce, though the thinner air automatically means less downforce/drag so they can get away with street course level downforce settings. Also, less drag does mean less aero induced stopping power once they let off the throttle, so they'll have to start regen/braking earlier than normal, too.

Though in fairness, albeit probably a one off, an Audi did do over 200mph into the speed trap at Nurburgring with a high downforce set up.

Also, I don't think we'll see what the cars can really do unless everyone goes all out in Thursday practice (which includes an extra promoter's test session in the morning). Checking the weather, there's a 80-90% chance of rain Friday and Saturday. Of course, I'd like the rain and those temperatures where I'm at. Though at least I'll get those wishes to a degree tomorrow.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 18:14 (Ref:3668662)   #5
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
They predicted that such speeds could be likely at Le Mans, but most of the cars topped out at about 205-210mph. Audi's onboard telemetry from LM had them topping out at barely above 200mph. Also, all cars will be running max downforce, though the thinner air automatically means less downforce/drag so they can get away with street course level downforce settings. Also, less drag does mean less aero induced stopping power once they let off the throttle, so they'll have to start regen/braking earlier than normal, too.

Though in fairness, albeit probably a one off, an Audi did do over 200mph into the speed trap at Nurburgring with a high downforce set up.

Also, I don't think we'll see what the cars can really do unless everyone goes all out in Thursday practice (which includes an extra promoter's test session in the morning). Checking the weather, there's a 80-90% chance of rain Friday and Saturday. Of course, I'd like the rain and those temperatures where I'm at. Though at least I'll get those wishes to a degree tomorrow.
Don't forget, the difference between Mexico and Le Mans is that they'll be able to run full hybrid boost here (if they can get enough regen),
Old 30 Aug 2016, 18:20 (Ref:3668663)   #6
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Outside of Porsche going for it in a dry qualifying session I don't think we will see "mega" speeds, the traps should be slightly higher than at Le Mans. So that's "only" ~210mph. However with unlimited hybrid boost the acceleration to vmax will be fierce, hopefully there will be good onboards of the LMP1-Hs coming out of the parabelta.

Having said that, the hybrid systems might be turned down because of the impact the air will have on cooling as well as regen. Looking at the pre-race comments from the factory teams, I think the former will be the key factor that dictates the eventual speeds.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 19:12 (Ref:3668667)   #7
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has ACO managed anything special in GTE for the turbocharged engines?
Old 30 Aug 2016, 19:36 (Ref:3668669)   #8
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The lmp guys are allowed to run more cooling in the bodywork for this race. I think the Toyota's will have a small advantage with that in terms of braking. They're the only ones using dual kers which helps with the brake temps. Hopefully their Magny Cours test went well and they have a better grip on the ultra high downforce package. Might be a 3-way race for once this year.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 00:11 (Ref:3668704)   #9
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Sorta sucks that so far we haven't gotten any photos yet outside of a few of the track. At least I already know where on the engine cover that Audi will add louvers to vent air if they need/want to (because of overhead shots of the R18s at Nurbrugring). Don't know about the other prototypes, though.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 17:11 (Ref:3668810)   #10
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
First pics of cars is from Toyota. They have a few louvers let into the upper side pods:

Old 31 Aug 2016, 18:35 (Ref:3668819)   #11
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Two different sized openings for rear brake cooling on the Toyota's

Both have the louvers and the nose intakes.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 18:37 (Ref:3668820)   #12
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
They both also have only two headlight beams per lamp vs three as has been the norm this season (and in the past with the TS040).
Old 31 Aug 2016, 23:29 (Ref:3668837)   #13
TF110
Veteran

United States
The Porsche preview says they expect 40 laps on a tank and tires to last two stints. I wonder if we see double stinting?
Old 31 Aug 2016, 23:42 (Ref:3668839)   #14
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Well, the ACO are providing the LMP1 teams with 8.5 sets of tires and I don't think there was much double stinting by any LMP1 factory teams at Nurburgring though Porsche claimed that they were capable of it. And if the LMP1 cars run about 1:25 lap times, that's gotta be close to an hour's worth of time per stint in the dry. I'd assume that it'd only be longer possibly if it rains due to less full throttle time.

I'm pretty dissapointed with the lack of set up photos from Mexico City so far. Not really a lot from any of the LMP1 teams aside from some not so great shots of the Toyota unless the ones that TF110 posted earlier were TMG media shots. No Audi or Porsche photos so far from what I've seen.

Last edited by chernaudi; 31 Aug 2016 at 23:50.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 00:07 (Ref:3668843)   #15
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Only Audi photo so far:

Only Porsche photo:

Isn't the Audi pit equipment box in front of the #8 car technically illegal under the post LM regs on blocking access into the garage? Granted, it's just a set up day and they weren't doing it for the #7 car (both are essentially identical, anyways).

Only major change seen (and it's not even major) on the VW end is that Audi have adopted a support stay for their dive planes.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 03:01 (Ref:3668859)   #16
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm sure the top-end speeds will be plenty quick, even if they're not quite up there with what F1 did last year. On the other hand, I expect Mexico City to have the slowest average lap speed of any circuit on the WEC calendar.

My biggest concern for this race is navigating traffic. I think this is probably the worst circuit on the schedule, when it comes to the proportion of single-line corners around the lap. The Turn 1-3 and 4-5 complexes have very acute apexes now. Turn 6 has a harsh double apex, so don't try throwing one way down the inside. All of the corners in "the Esses" (Turns 7-11) have much more abrupt apexes than they used to, narrowing the usable racing line significantly. And then the complex in the stadium is so tight you don't have room to really do anything. You pretty much have to make your moves on the straights, so between Turns 16 and 1, 3 and 4, 6 and 7, and 10 and 12. (Turns 11 and 17 are basically just acceleration zones augmenting the straights that follow.)

And for instance, where you used to be able to come back at a guy if he ran wide at Turn 1, but now, Turns 2 and 3 are so harsh, you'll get run off the road trying to do that.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 03:41 (Ref:3668862)   #17
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Latest weather that I've seen says 80-100% chance of rain everyday Thursday though Saturday. I'll bet that everyone will be wanting to run max downforce if they already weren't planning on it.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 03:49 (Ref:3668863)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
It will gain grip over the week(end) but I do think it'll be harsh offline. So I think if there's going to be passes on turns, it will be pretty exciting to see. I think they should open up those esses. They're too tight right now for anything but follow-the-leader.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 04:08 (Ref:3668864)   #19
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Rubbering-in the track isn't really the problem. Simply, physically getting two cars side-by-side through those turns is a dodgy proposition, period. Unless BOTH drivers compromise quite heavily, it simply isn't going to happen.

Unless you're ahead, AND on the inside line, I don't know that you have any business sticking your nose in in this situation. Contact was basically assumed from the outset, and rightly so as it turned out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHfYuH87ZkY
Old 1 Sep 2016, 04:56 (Ref:3668867)   #20
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Here's a fun illustration.

First, the start and opening laps of the 1991 WSC race at Mexico City:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jthmQR3UmoY

Now, a CART onboard from 2002 of the circuit they ran in 2002-05, which is the closest to what F1 and the WEC are using:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aRmexvizMg

Finally, Nico Rosberg's pole lap for the 2015 Mexican Grand Prix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpTFGtkA_zo

(The aspect ratio on that last one may be a bit squished side-to-side, but you should still be able to get the idea of the changes to the circuit.)
Old 1 Sep 2016, 08:33 (Ref:3668882)   #21
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While the potential top speed of the LMP1s is a bit of a mystery because of energy recovery, the sole Rebellion will surely be doing stupid speeds, and the turbo GTs might give the LMP2s a run for their money in a straight line, which could make passing tricky.

Having said that, how much will the turbo GTs be pegged back so the Astons and Porsches aren't left for dead?
Old 1 Sep 2016, 13:07 (Ref:3668920)   #22
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I don't know about comments about the track gaining grip. The promoter's test this morning might be the only true dry running that teams get. 80-100% chance of rain is forecast from this afternoon though to the end of the race Saturday.

I don't know what to expect, but in at least the wet/dry qualifying held at Silverstone and Nurburgring, Audi seem to hold an edge over both Porsche and Toyota.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3668934)   #23
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I'm excited for this race.

I personally think the poster is crap, the perspective on the cars is way off compared to the track they're supposed to be "on."
Old 1 Sep 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3668963)   #24
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
That's the way wec posters have been for a while now. Light years better than some of the early versions. At least now there is some artistic flare to it. They used to be literal photoshops of pictures of cars.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 16:01 (Ref:3668969)   #25
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!

So, does the Porsche just use recycled R18 headlight innards now?