Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Dec 2016, 17:13 (Ref:3694225)   #151
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Daniel Ricciardo would run rings around Hamilton in that Mercedes.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 17:38 (Ref:3694231)   #152
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
From what I've read and seen around the interweb, it seems to be Bottas at Mercedes with a suitable payday and invoice tearing up for engine deals for Williams and probably Pascal in the 2nd seat.

I don't think it will be Alonso, too much history with him as team mate to Hamilton before that Mercedes probably don't want to revisit.

Financially it seem that Mercedes have $15M per year to play with which is what they were due to pay Rosberg, so even a costly deal with Williams is 'cheap'.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 17:50 (Ref:3694237)   #153
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Pascal Wehrlein will drive the Mercedes ..
Old 6 Dec 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3694239)   #154
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
From what I've read and seen around the interweb, it seems to be Bottas at Mercedes with a suitable payday and invoice tearing up for engine deals for Williams and probably Pascal in the 2nd seat.

I don't think it will be Alonso, too much history with him as team mate to Hamilton before that Mercedes probably don't want to revisit.

Financially it seem that Mercedes have $15M per year to play with which is what they were due to pay Rosberg, so even a costly deal with Williams is 'cheap'.
Even with a massive engine deal, Williams would have a massive driver issue.

They would have a wet behind the ears 18 year old with half a dozen runs in an old car and a super licence which still has wet ink.
And who else?

These new cars are going to not just need developing but if the suggestions are right, taming. That means experience and leadership. There isn't any of that available.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 18:04 (Ref:3694240)   #155
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
How much would it be worth to Bernie to have the spectacle of having Hamilton and Alonso together in a top team?

Would he be willing to chip in a few million to see that happen to "improve the show" to convince Mercedes who might have doubts about the cost of a Alonso buy out and mess of having to deal with Hamilton and Alonso? Although I can imagine him being reluctant after the engine saga, I reckon he is also a pragmatic man.

Unlikely, but who knows.
Sorry to quote myself, but I suppose Alonse himself would be willing to accept a very meager salary to have a last chance at showing his worth in a top car. That together with some "show funds" from Bernie would help Mercedes swallow their (budgetary) pain.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 18:17 (Ref:3694245)   #156
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Daniel Ricciardo would run rings around Hamilton in that Mercedes.
Trouble is, he wouldn't keep up with him on the track. Those rings are just too easy.....
Old 6 Dec 2016, 18:33 (Ref:3694256)   #157
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Sorry to quote myself, but I suppose Alonse himself would be willing to accept a very meager salary to have a last chance at showing his worth in a top car. That together with some "show funds" from Bernie would help Mercedes swallow their (budgetary) pain.
I reckon you are right. Fred may do it for free.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3694271)   #158
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
We seem to be ignoring, consistently, the fact that Alonso is contracted to McLaren for 2017, and there is no hard evidence he has a get-out clause.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3694275)   #159
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, like Rosberg had a contract with Merc?
Lets be honest, Alonso would jump in that Merc for free and Merc would pay Mc..
Old 6 Dec 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3694276)   #160
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
We seem to be ignoring, consistently, the fact that Alonso is contracted to McLaren for 2017, and there is no hard evidence he has a get-out clause.
true, probably more fueled by wishful thinking but there is some (scant) evidence it is at least being discussed based on comments made by Wolff himself suggesting that they are looking at Alonso (although the cost of doing so is probably prohibitive).

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38219533

but then again maybe they are talking about a contract for 2018 which could then imply that whomever Merc sign for 2017 will just be there for one year.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 20:09 (Ref:3694284)   #161
LavidaLoca
Racer

LavidaLoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In case alonso moves to merc then this would leave mclaren in a difficult situation driver wise with only vandoorne. Would mclaren call an experienced driver like button or massa?
Old 6 Dec 2016, 20:53 (Ref:3694296)   #162
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavidaLoca View Post
In case alonso moves to merc then this would leave mclaren in a difficult situation driver wise with only vandoorne. Would mclaren call an experienced driver like button or massa?
Ditto for Williams with Bottas and Force India with Perez.
Might make all 3 teams that little bit more reluctant to release their driver if/when ...
Old 6 Dec 2016, 21:56 (Ref:3694311)   #163
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Yes, like Rosberg had a contract with Merc?
Lets be honest, Alonso would jump in that Merc for free and Merc would pay Mc..
But Rosberg hasn't gone off to race for someone else. Unless Alonso has a get-out clause, of which I have seen no evidence, McLaren has zero incentive to let him drive for a competitor. And they don't need the money to allow Merc to buy him out (nor would it be worth Merc doing so).
Old 6 Dec 2016, 22:26 (Ref:3694320)   #164
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Pascal Wehrlein will drive the Mercedes ..
In testing? On the simulator?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Dec 2016, 22:55 (Ref:3694328)   #165
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
We know it's easy to get forgotten when you are driving a car at the back of the grid, I believe he has talent, so do Mercedes ..
He is young and more than up to doing a good job alongside Lewis, he is more the future than a driver like Fernando or Jenson don't you think ?
Old 6 Dec 2016, 23:01 (Ref:3694329)   #166
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
We know it's easy to get forgotten when you are driving a car at the back of the grid, I believe he has talent, so do Mercedes ..
He is young and more than up to doing a good job alongside Lewis, he is more the future than a driver like Fernando or Jenson don't you think ?
Will Mr Wehrlein be capable of helping MercedesF1 to the WCC next year?

WCC = money for MercedesF1 after all

Presumably causing the desire/need/story around getting a proven player into the seat
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Dec 2016, 23:55 (Ref:3694339)   #167
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Yes in that car he should be able to score points if the car is competitive which is not a given at this point is it ...
Old 7 Dec 2016, 03:48 (Ref:3694374)   #168
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Even with a massive engine deal, Williams would have a massive driver issue.

They would have a wet behind the ears 18 year old with half a dozen runs in an old car and a super licence which still has wet ink.
And who else?

These new cars are going to not just need developing but if the suggestions are right, taming. That means experience and leadership. There isn't any of that available.
We could see the following scenario:

- Bottas to Merc
- $$ to Williams
- Williams use said $$ to buy Sainz out of RB/TR contract
- TR promote Gasly

All parties seem to come out of this pretty decently.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 05:08 (Ref:3694387)   #169
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...n-hold-857273/

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...one-conclusion

Mercedes Mixed Signals F1 Team
Old 7 Dec 2016, 05:10 (Ref:3694388)   #170
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I watch every F1 practice session and race.In 2 years I have seen little evidence that Werlhein is potentially at the level of Bottas or Perez let alone Rosberg.Ocon showed him up and Harianto was his equal.Mercedes had high hopes for him but they appear to be misplaced.Besides a solid job at Austria this year can anyone point me to any result that shows he might be up to this.His dummy spit when he refused to turn his power unit off on instructions from his team in a practice session a few races ago was not a sign I would be looking for either.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 10:46 (Ref:3694462)   #171
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm inclined to agree, I think the same will be the case for VanDoorne at McLaren, I watched a superformula race recently, he was on his backside and getting trounced by the locals

I think the 2017 cars will be real animals, and the teams will soon realize you need a real man-like driver to handle them, not a boy......this is why I really believe an experienced set of hands will be required, such as

Massa
Button
Davidson
Montoya

They have all been there seen it and done it.......and I bet Bernie will be pushing for a south-american driver

Old 7 Dec 2016, 11:20 (Ref:3694468)   #172
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"man like" driver and not a "boy".... you mean, drivers with serious car control abilities rather than driving a computer game really quickly?

in that case, sainz, ocon, verstappen and magnussen should do nicely.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 11:24 (Ref:3694470)   #173
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
no.......next years cars will be high down-force monsters......your list is the "boy" list for sure, they have talent for sure, but are still serving their apprenticeships IMHO.......they will be exposed in 2017 I am quite sure
Old 7 Dec 2016, 12:01 (Ref:3694476)   #174
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nah, going to have to disagree. i think the guys who are simulator bots will be caught with their pants down, but the ones with genuine superhuman car control abilities, the ones who can get in any car and get a good time out of it, they'll do well.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 12:50 (Ref:3694492)   #175
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
There is no way on God's green earth JPM will be making a Formula 1 comeback. However much some people might like it, it's not going to happen.