Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Feb 2004, 00:34 (Ref:887866)   #26
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha, poor Panis. Personally, I would like to see Briscoe take it, but I doubt he will, toyota has said he will probably go to minardi first. Scott Dixon would be a brilliant choice, and he's almost an aussie which is pretty good.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 02:11 (Ref:887921)   #27
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has to be Dixon. I've said it once, I'll say it again... He's Toyota Americas golden boy... and America is a little too important of a market to just over look that fact.

For the people who keep on whaaa-ing on with "he would get confused with having to turn right"... That's about as intellegent as you can get. Considering he won the NZ Formula Ford Championship and the Australian Formula Holden Championship before the legal drinking age... I'd say he's fairly adept at turning both ways. I'd say that he's managed to win the premier oval based single seater championship from that base is the proof of his talent (not his limitations!)
Old 28 Feb 2004, 02:48 (Ref:887938)   #28
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dixon is very underrated and would do well for toyota and himself by washing his hands of the irl. Too many good drivers have died at the hands of the left turn only venues. Toyota needs a vet in the other car, someone who can spend toyotas money with the next year in mind not this year. Shue did it for the prancing horse. Who can do it for toyota???
Old 28 Feb 2004, 02:58 (Ref:887941)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So many people tell me Dixon is under-rated that I can only conclude he's over-rated.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 03:08 (Ref:887946)   #30
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you need a veteren though?? Considering the Toyota at the hands of McNish... One of the better development drivers around was still a dog... With current technology is a development driver as important as it used to be... A driver lies, telemetry don't!
Old 28 Feb 2004, 04:33 (Ref:887964)   #31
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear the term development driver a lot but what exactly is that. After all does the driver not only report what effects he feels with the cars set up. He is not and engineer not even a mechanic. What can a driver really contribute to the way the car is built and how it performs? What I would assume teams need is a driver that can set consistent lap times and that can accurately say what the car is doing in each situation it encounters. If the driver cant do that then IMO he does not belong in F1.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 05:19 (Ref:887983)   #32
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chappelli
It has to be Dixon. I've said it once, I'll say it again... He's Toyota Americas golden boy... and America is a little too important of a market to just over look that fact.
The IRL is barely a blip on the radar in America, and thus it's champion I would bet could virtually walk down main street un-noticed. The Indy 500 is still recognized but I am afraid Dixon isn't. Toyota would get no recognition from America by placing Dixon in their F1 program. Besides they are working on NASCAR for their American market.

I do agree that Dixon is a good racer but not brilliant. Ralf would be a good bet but if they want somebody young I think Wirdheim would be a good choice.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 28 Feb 2004, 06:03 (Ref:887994)   #33
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A team that has proper tech staff (which toyota now does) has zero need for a 'development' driver...whatever that is.

And anyway,why would you want slow drivers like ralf or dc influencing how a car is developed??!!
Old 28 Feb 2004, 10:23 (Ref:888104)   #34
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McNish may be a great development driver, but in F1 terms he was no veteran. The benefit of having experienced drivers can't be underestimated. Look how much better Jordan did in 1999 with Hill and Frentzen than in 1998 or 1997. Even in championships where development isn't an issue, teh same thing holds ture - Junquiera and Minassian struggled as Ganassi team-mates in 2001, but once he had Kenny Brack to help him, Bruno came 2nd in the 2002 championship (miles clear of Dixon, by the way).

Anyone who hoenstly thinks Dixon could jump into an F1 car and be anywhere near as fast as DC or Ralf is deluded, and I'm no Ralf apologist.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 10:54 (Ref:888124)   #35
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by golem

Stick with Chris and shoe in Briscoe or Dixon. That'd be dynamite.
Quote:
Originally posted by chunterer
My money's on Dixon.....if he wins Indy 500 and/or IRL again.
I'm not saying that Dixon or (and?) Briscoe wouldn't be good in F1, but Toyota want to progress. That means putting an "old hand" in the car that can help with development and set up, exactly what they are doing in 2003/4 with Panis.

The only way they could progress with either of the 2 drivers mentioned above is if they drop CDM and put either DC or Rafe alongside one of those rookies.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 11:29 (Ref:888142)   #36
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Toyota, Coulthard and Schumacher

Quote:
Originally posted by oziengineer
I read recently that Ralf and David will be fighting for a seat next to christiano da matta at toyota in 2005. Has anyone else heard about this and is it possible to happen?
When and where are you read these rumours?

But, yes, I often read or heard this probability.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 17:32 (Ref:888311)   #37
Continental Op
Rookie

Continental Op should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only one who believes Ralf will stay at Williams? He said in interview at Autosport that negotiations are going ok, just been left for now. I am no fan of hin but he is gonna do well this year and must be a complete idiot if he leaves Sir Frank for higher wages at Toyota. DC or RS best for Toyota - RS for sure.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 18:47 (Ref:888378)   #38
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf will stay at Williams, almost certainly.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 20:09 (Ref:888475)   #39
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf will leave Williams, almost certainly.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 21:40 (Ref:888531)   #40
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir frank is famous for canning even drivers that perform. A ride in one of his cars is saved for the young and promising not for Ralf. I'm sure he is a fine fellow but that does not keep you at the pointy end of this game.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 21:53 (Ref:888540)   #41
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Continental Op
Am I the only one who believes Ralf will stay at Williams? He said in interview at Autosport that negotiations are going ok, just been left for now. I am no fan of hin but he is gonna do well this year and must be a complete idiot if he leaves Sir Frank for higher wages at Toyota. DC or RS best for Toyota - RS for sure.
Yes, i think you are the only one! Onec you cross FW there is no way back. Even winning the WDC, which he's not going to do, will not save him now (see Damon Hill)

A complete idiot if he leaves Frank for higher wages? see Jaques Villeneuve
Old 28 Feb 2004, 21:57 (Ref:888546)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From what I've read Continental Op, negotiations, and indeed relations, aren't going at all well. Hence the negotiations have been delayed!
Old 28 Feb 2004, 22:31 (Ref:888583)   #43
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ysofast
Dixon is very underrated and would do well for toyota and himself by washing his hands of the irl.
Care to justify that?
Old 29 Feb 2004, 04:05 (Ref:888827)   #44
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Panis will stay on for 05, if he doesn't, I hope it's DC, i much prefer him to Ralf. Remember, the only reason DC sruggled in 03 was quali. Every race last year he was consistently quick, and if he'd thrown in a couple of poles, he would've had a good crack at the championship.