Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Mar 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2161904)   #1
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LMP front diffusors

If I look at the front diffusors of the new LMP cars i see a lack of strakes compared to the old LMP 900 versions.
Does anybody have an idea why the newer cars need no strakes.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2161979)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most LMP cars have three diffent front diffusers; Low, medium and high downforce.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 00:32 (Ref:2162609)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Possibly they're just a bit out of favour. I recall the early front diffusers also having no strakes.

I think the front diffuser design is pretty much free, so if they're running without strakes there must be a benefit.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2162811)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Humour me guys - what's a strake?
Old 27 Mar 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2162825)   #5
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm thinking that they are the 'lil winglets on the outside of the guards. . . but I stand to be corrected.

Mick
Old 27 Mar 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2162868)   #6
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, a diffuser strake is like a vertical 'fence' within the diffuser. As usual mulsannescorner is the best place for a picture.
From my basic knowledge, sometimes it may be used to guide air out of the diffuser and sometimes it may be used to stop air moving sideways in the diffuser so on this basis it's sure to be dependent on the whole shape and design of the car rather than the simple diffuser shape.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2162873)   #7
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And I now resume my seat

Mick
Old 27 Mar 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2162875)   #8
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer
If I look at the front diffusors of the new LMP cars i see a lack of strakes compared to the old LMP 900 versions.
Does anybody have an idea why the newer cars need no strakes.
Form follows function so the guys in the wind tunnels clearly are coming to a similar conclusion and don't like what they see. Could have a lot to do with the verticies shed having negative impact on airflow to the spec. tunnels.

Here's a shot of a strake, Lister's Strakearama:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/listerstormlmp-8.html
Old 27 Mar 2008, 11:07 (Ref:2162896)   #9
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello Mike

i knew your Lister pic. If I have understand Peter Elleray right in the great book " Bentley at Le Mans" the strakes on the Bentley EXP Speed 8 2002 and especially on the Speed 8 have much to do with the tunable front downforce.
At Le Mans Bentley drove with less strakes as in Sebring for less downforce.
With the new 2004 rules the general front diffusor layout didn't change . THe only new thing is the 50mm step in the middle which lead much more air under the car then the old one. So I have to look carfully to get this air out of the car. I think this is a point Dome or Porsche have spend a lot of time in tunnel to get a good airflow from the diffusor to the exaust in the sidepods as Peter Ellerary have said this i a very critical part for the downforce figures. ( Compare the problems with the R8C mentioned in the book above).
And the new car splitters like the Porsche ( www.mulsannescorner.com/PorscheRSSpyder-2.html) or the Dome ( www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch08.html) don't have strakes outboard or in the middle part. Both have only two inboard the front wheel which separate the inner area from the outboard section. So I am a little surprised cause the front is the only part which is not too regulated.

( Can't wait for your Peugeot thread)

Best regards

Markus
Old 27 Mar 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2162928)   #10
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer
Hello Mike

i knew your Lister pic. If I have understand Peter Elleray right in the great book " Bentley at Le Mans" the strakes on the Bentley EXP Speed 8 2002 and especially on the Speed 8 have much to do with the tunable front downforce.

Markus
To my understanding that is correct. under body air flow expecilly on high speed corners needs to be contained. Those straikes or upside down fish dorsal fins help with just that.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2163013)   #11
Robert RS
Rookie

Netherlands
Veenendaal
Robert RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3.6.2 - No aerodynamic element can be added on the bodywork
apart from :
- Two aerodynamic elements maximum at the front of the
front fenders provided that :
• They do not obstruct the driver's view
• They do not mask the headlights ;
• They are not situated more than 600 mm above the
reference surface ;
• They are approved by the manufacturer and the
ACO (homologation form of the car).
- One “Gurney” at the rear of the bodywork.
- The rear wing described below.

Regards,

Robert
Old 27 Mar 2008, 13:31 (Ref:2163037)   #12
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert RS
3.6.2 - No aerodynamic element can be added on the bodywork
apart from :
- Two aerodynamic elements maximum at the front of the
front fenders provided that :
• They do not obstruct the driver's view
• They do not mask the headlights ;
• They are not situated more than 600 mm above the
reference surface ;
• They are approved by the manufacturer and the
ACO (homologation form of the car).
- One “Gurney” at the rear of the bodywork.
- The rear wing described below.

Regards,

Robert
Yes, but 3.6.2 has been on the books in that form for some time (pre LMP2004 regulations):

From 2001 LMP900/675 regulations:
3.6.2 - Forward of the front wheels centre line, only bodywork panels having parallel planes and a constant thickness are permitted.
Two aerodynamic elements maximum can be added in front of the front fenders provided that :
· They do not obstruct the driver's view
· They do not mask the headlights ;
· They are not situated more than 600 mm above the plane generated by the flat bottom.
· They are approved by the manufacturer and the ACO (Homologation form of the car)
Old 28 Mar 2008, 04:03 (Ref:2163562)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wouldn't the front diffuser be defined within the regulations as part of the floor, rather than bodywork, and hence exempt from 3.6.2?
Old 28 Mar 2008, 04:05 (Ref:2163563)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
Wouldn't the front diffuser be defined within the regulations as part of the floor, rather than bodywork, and hence exempt from 3.6.2?
That would certianly be my take...
Old 28 Mar 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2163979)   #15
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
Agreed.

Perhaps, like happened with the original era of diffusers, when we had a raft of crazy massive tunnels (remember that Rondeau?) that were steadily brought back down even before rules adjustments, we are seeing designers realising that less can be just as much?
Old 28 Mar 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2164193)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the explanation guys.