Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 2 Sep 2003, 10:10 (Ref:705501)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pit Lane Photography - Fireproofs

At what level of racing does it become necessary for photographers in the pit lane to wear fireproof suits?
Is it just those where refueling will be occurring or is there a more complex equation involved.
I only ask as I was tossed from the pit lane at the Donington FIA SCC meeing by on FIA official while trying to take photo's of a refuleing stop (despite the presence of an Avon guy ferreting around under the car during the stop...actually why was he there when the car was running on Dunlops??)
http://paulsands.org/sitebuildercont...fiascc/f17.jpg
Old 2 Sep 2003, 11:50 (Ref:705565)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you will find that this is becoming increasingly more common in FIA series where refuelling is concerned. It does make sense especially when the teams are chucking petrol around with gay abandon (as they sometimes do). I've seen things happening in refuelling stops that would make your hair curl (if not singe!)

Are you sure the Avon guy wasn't a spy?
Old 2 Sep 2003, 11:54 (Ref:705570)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He did say something about the "Red Cow Being Over The Square" (classic spy talk if I'm being a little obtuse) but I thought he was just a bit nuts

Last edited by PaulSands; 2 Sep 2003 at 11:54.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:39 (Ref:705627)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Think it depends on the meeting and whose running it as well. It might be that you didn't have the right pass rather than not having fireproofs.

DTM at Donington for example you weren't allowed in the pitlane during any DTM session unless you had both fireproofs and the correct pass, yet you were ok for the support races.

Can't remember the requirement at the FIA GT/ETCC meeting. I wasn't going into the pitlane during either race so didn't bother to check.

2CV 24hrs had refueling but no sign of anyone outside of the teams and marshals in fireproofs.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:44 (Ref:705631)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know in the local races here, even if there is refueling, if you have the right passes you are sweet. But whenever I go and do commentary in the pits, the smart money is on wearing a fire suit. I've been too close to a few catastrophies in the past...
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:48 (Ref:705635)   #6
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For any FIA event if you wish to work in the pitlane you must wear fireproofs. Reporters and photographers alike.

And speaking to a regular photographer of the British GT series, it's rumoured that this rule could apply to the series next year.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:50 (Ref:705638)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I had a full photographer pass for the weekend...the guy did say it was cos I had no fireproofs.
Just wondered if it was worth investing for future use more than anything else (obviously not a 5 layer Nomex jobby)
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:59 (Ref:705649)   #8
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously your own decision really, but, a 2nd hand pair of single layer Nomex? and old race suit from e-bay? if it's a resonable cost, I doubt it would hurt in the long run.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 13:05 (Ref:705663)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely you know someone who isn't racing?

I know when I've needed a pair of overalls in the past, I borrow a set from someone with the sponsors plastered all over it, and I do my best to get them on in the background on TV
Old 2 Sep 2003, 13:11 (Ref:705673)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I probably wont need them again unless I blag something good for next year
Maybe get my good lady treat me for Christmas
Old 2 Sep 2003, 13:35 (Ref:705696)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just so you know, photographers for CART and ALMS are only barred from hot pits without fireproofs during race time. They need the proper credentials to get in other times, though.

(In fact, CART limits credentials for the race day for the pits, so if you're part of the rabble - ie not the local big papers or hardcarded CART photographers - you must get your pit action shots earlier in the weekend.)
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Sep 2003, 13:42 (Ref:705704)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Be interesting if anybody at Spa for the 1000kms last weekend has any comments on this...I know the pitlane dress code for the British GT seems very lax to say the least but ordinarily you're not talking refuelling stops
Old 2 Sep 2003, 15:26 (Ref:705767)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, but they'd be pretty leisurely fuel stops. 2 minutes mandatory?

OTOH, you wouldn't want to police photographers by only giving them access to a bit of the pits (ie stay out of the SCC pits), so they'd probably require firesuits for the whole shebang.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Sep 2003, 16:21 (Ref:705796)   #14
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
f1 i think its ok during warm up sessions...not during race. le mans is ok...although there was a rumour of "no shorts"...but i wore shorts in there and it all seemed fine.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 18:08 (Ref:705892)   #15
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all depends on the sanctioning body and what their rules are.

As someone mentioned, the ALMS requires a fire suit during race day only. Because that is the day that they are using fueling rigs and in the biggest hurry.

You just need to look at who you plan on shooting and find out what thier rules are. Then decide whether or not a fire suit is important to you.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 19:04 (Ref:705958)   #16
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have heard that as of next year this rule will be in force at many championships including all sports car events and no doubt many others. Not sure what "fireproof" actually means but am guessing we will have to get some sort of marshaling clobber on...cameras in one hand and flags and brooms in the other...I can see it now....!!
Old 2 Sep 2003, 19:58 (Ref:706021)   #17
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not safety googles, full face helmet and breathing apparatus, you can never be too careful!!
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:04 (Ref:706550)   #18
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Roll over cage in case you fall too (hamster ball styleee)
Old 3 Sep 2003, 10:24 (Ref:706660)   #19
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always stand well back, pit lane photography at Donington should be from the hairpin at Mallory!!
Old 3 Sep 2003, 10:27 (Ref:706665)   #20
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
and always carry a bucket of sand
Old 3 Sep 2003, 10:30 (Ref:706674)   #21
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just so you know, photographers for CART and ALMS are only barred from hot pits without fireproofs during race time. They need the proper credentials to get in other times, though.
Paul that is not true. I did not see one photographer in the hot pits during the race wearing a fire suit. You just needed the proper accreditation. I was in the hot pits in Vancouver. I got the hot pit lock (pass) by doing the old sad puppy dog eyed trick with the guy that was handing them out. I guess it depends on how many locks (passes) they have. If there are extra you should be able to get one. By the way the same person who was in charge of the photographers in Toronto was also in charge in Vancouver.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 12:00 (Ref:706816)   #22
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
I had a full photographer pass for the weekend...the guy did say it was cos I had no fireproofs.
Just wondered if it was worth investing for future use more than anything else (obviously not a 5 layer Nomex jobby)
You are right in your assumption that it was because you didn't have fireproofs. I was at that meeting and no-one was allowed into the Pits for the DTM sessions unless they were wearing fireproofs. Having said that I was working in race control and I was sent into the pits during the race by the Race Director to deliver a message to a team and I was wearing a short sleeved shirt!

As to fireproofs - if you wanted to invest £50 in a set of orange probans you could come marshalling as well in your spare time!