Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 Apr 2018, 01:52 (Ref:3814253)   #1
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How hard was to follow F1 in Argentina during 1989 season

I'll be brief. On that year, 1989, Argentinian followers were adamant on support, most of them, Ayrton Senna's possibilities to retain his title, and his battle with Prost on it, but the country had a lot of difficulties that hardened all F1 fans the possibilities to follow that season.

The main ones were two: 1) An economic turmoil, hyper-inflation; 2) Tremendous power shortages and energy cuts in all major Argie cities. That event was directly followed in an malfunction in the main nuclear station of the country, Atucha, that suffered something not still full disclosed to own Argie citizens that cause a tremendous loss of power of that station, and the procrastination of the construction of its sister station Atucha II.

The situation lived in the country were in the mood of : You entered in a shop, and when you went to the seller, the price had risen ten australes (the currency of the time) more... And that with hand-made bills, because power shortages made no energy supply sometimes on the shop, if they hadn't an electric generator... That lived Argentinians in most of 1989, aside the situations that shocked the world on these days.

On this mood, it was very hard to follow the campaigns of Senna and Prost, because restrictions in TV broadcast made to differ almost all F1 races to be aired on Sundays at 11 PM, very hard for a child (that was me) that had to sleep to woke up at 7 AM the next day to go to the school. It was something more important than the races, that was my education, that had priority over motorsport on it. Priority that still I thank my family made me to obey.

About adult fans, most of them ho the follow the activities of F1 races via the radio, ad our old pals had to do in 1960s, then. The broadcasters spoke about the race situations, and the next Tuesday the race had a chronicle in the Corsa magazine, and that's how many countrymen knew about the march of F1 these days.

Sorry if I explain this in some disordered way, but it's a mood to explain how was the situation then.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 06:18 (Ref:3814583)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Interesting background to the socio-economic climate of the time Mekola.

Was Larrauri the only top level Argentine driver at that time? Maybe Fangio 2 was still active in IMSA?

There was no-one i can recall coming up through the UK racing ladder.