Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Apr 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3236136)   #1351
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have endurance experience. A little old experience, maybe.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 12:47 (Ref:3236184)   #1352
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
Of course, but I think Fassler was not very well experienced in LMP1 before to be a glorious member of Audi Jost...
It all depends from what they think to do in 2014: race to make experience or race to win? Knowing Porsche, I think they are more focused on the second hypotesis...
Then, I would not make on the same car three endurance unexperienced drivers like Heidfeld, Webber and Vernay. They may be fast, but I'm not sure they may compete at the same level of endurance experienced drivers.

P.S.
Heidfeld is a Porsche buyer, at the same way of Webber... If I'm not wrong, he's the owner of a 996 GT2. Is just a casuality?
The line-ups were merely who I think will be picked - not necessarily who will be paired with who.

I might be inclined to split Bernhard and Dumas between the cars if they are doing the bulk of the testing. That way they can help with the baseline set-ups.

I just don't see how Heidfeld won't be a part of this programme. Given the significant Sauber connections now at Weissach, given the vague nature of his schedule post-Le Mans, given he was walking around the Porsche museum snapping pictures last winter.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3236210)   #1353
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Bild, Mark Webber has visited Porsche factory in Stuttgart, and has signed with german manufacturer a 3 years contract, instead of 5 years.
Voices about this are becoming more insistent, and I think there's fire under the smoke...
I've read about a possible return of Porsche in Formula 1 with Sauber, from 2015. Does anyone of you know something more about this? Porsche would like to back in singleseater world as engine supplier, with new V6 turbo engine. It's not a bad idea... Porsche management has declared they wanna be protagonist in the largest number of classes as possible. What about?
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 18 Apr 2013, 14:26 (Ref:3236217)   #1354
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Porsche is hiring a lot of former-F1 engineers, such as Enzinger (Head of F1 Test and Race Organization at BMW Motorsport), Alex Hitzinger (Head of Advanced Technologies’ for Red Bull F1 and Scuderia Toro Rosso) and Mike Krack and Urs Kuratle (race engineers at BMW Sauber). Then, I've heard some voices about a secret training of some Porsche mechanics and technicians with McLaren, in formula 1 team.
Are these voices or is here something real is in the air?
Old 18 Apr 2013, 14:33 (Ref:3236218)   #1355
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I pray every night that these rumors are false.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 14:44 (Ref:3236220)   #1356
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Porsche will never race in Le Mans and Formula 1 at the same time. It's too much expensive. If they have to make a choice, I hope is to race in Le Mans. Formula 1 maybe an interesting alternative to endurance, but Porsche is the symbol of endurance, and it must remain the most important focus for the brand.
Formula 1? Mmmh... too much politics and too little sport. Le Mans, all the way!

@Spyderman: let pray not only in the night, but in the day, too.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3236221)   #1357
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I pray every night that these rumors are false.
You and me both!

They would have to commit far more resources then they did back in TAG-Turbo/Arrow days. Porsche are very good at making money. If they can sign 1 or two engine deals in F1 they might just do it. But I hope not.

In my perfect world they would build up their team at Weissach to an efficient organization to campaign the LMP1 and RSR. They shouldn't bite off more than they can chew.

Given that they have become the master marketers, failure is not an option. Hopefully parent company VW understands this as well.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3236238)   #1358
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Formula 1? Mmmh... too much politics and too little sport. Le Mans, all the way!
With the way that the ACO has been played to ensure Diesel and factory domination over the last near decade, it's pretty hard to say LM itself isn't run through politics as well.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3236239)   #1359
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think I read somewhere that there will be 2 cars.
Maybe here (old link, from the Webber thread), but in the context, that doesn't specifically rule out 3rd car.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 16:07 (Ref:3236243)   #1360
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Porsche is hiring a lot of former-F1 engineers, such as Enzinger (Head of F1 Test and Race Organization at BMW Motorsport), Alex Hitzinger (Head of Advanced Technologies’ for Red Bull F1 and Scuderia Toro Rosso) and Mike Krack and Urs Kuratle (race engineers at BMW Sauber).
I think more like hired since these reports are from October and clearly these hirings were for the LMP program: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ru...igns-f1-people
Old 18 Apr 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3236244)   #1361
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Maybe here (old link, from the Webber thread), but in the context, that doesn't specifically rule out 3rd car.
Yes that was it! Thanks.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 16:15 (Ref:3236246)   #1362
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
You and me both!

They would have to commit far more resources then they did back in TAG-Turbo/Arrow days. Porsche are very good at making money. If they can sign 1 or two engine deals in F1 they might just do it. But I hope not.

In my perfect world they would build up their team at Weissach to an efficient organization to campaign the LMP1 and RSR. They shouldn't bite off more than they can chew.

Given that they have become the master marketers, failure is not an option. Hopefully parent company VW understands this as well.
+1000
Old 18 Apr 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3236247)   #1363
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Porsche will never race in Le Mans and Formula 1 at the same time. It's too much expensive. If they have to make a choice, I hope is to race in Le Mans. Formula 1 maybe an interesting alternative to endurance, but Porsche is the symbol of endurance, and it must remain the most important focus for the brand.

@Spyderman: let pray not only in the night, but in the day, too.
I'm praying right now.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3236248)   #1364
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
With the way that the ACO has been played to ensure Diesel and factory domination over the last near decade, it's pretty hard to say LM itself isn't run through politics as well.
And it's worse in a way, because the LM politics rarely make the headlines, so the politics are much more hidden.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3236267)   #1365
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
I'm praying right now.
Good job, mate. We are two of us (at least...)!
Old 18 Apr 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3236271)   #1366
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
You're right. ACO makes a lot of policy, but I was referring to the race results modified by strange decisions, as happened in formula 1 (team orders, penalized overtakes, spy-stories, strange differences between the drivers...). I was not referring to the politics intended as "rules".
From this point of view, ACO is second to none!
Old 18 Apr 2013, 17:59 (Ref:3236282)   #1367
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You're right. ACO makes a lot of policy, but I was referring to the race results modified by strange decisions, as happened in formula 1 (team orders, penalized overtakes, spy-stories, strange differences between the drivers...). I was not referring to the politics intended as "rules".
From this point of view, ACO is second to none!
Of course I think in Sportscars we would have no issues with Team Orders, as this is more of a team sport.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 18:17 (Ref:3236288)   #1368
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I guess that's what F1 & ACO have in common - they are both dictatorships
Old 18 Apr 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3236313)   #1369
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Of course I think in Sportscars we would have no issues with Team Orders, as this is more of a team sport.
I DID have an issue with Peugeot's team orders in 2011.... I found them having nothing to do with sport/sportmanship at all.
Otherwise, when one car of a team clearly has the benefit over the other, it is only logical that the latter lets the former pass as easily as possible of course. No problem with that at all!
Old 18 Apr 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3236339)   #1370
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
I DID have an issue with Peugeot's team orders in 2011.... I found them having nothing to do with sport/sportmanship at all.
That was a bit excessive for sure, and not really within the spirit of endurance racing IMO.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3236430)   #1371
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Otherwise, when one car of a team clearly has the benefit over the other, it is only logical that the latter lets the former pass as easily as possible of course. No problem with that at all!
Absolutely agree. Peugeot did not earn any respect by their team orders.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3236799)   #1372
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Neither did Vettel !!!

Team orders should be banned . From a bookies point of view its race rigging , end of .
Old 20 Apr 2013, 02:17 (Ref:3236888)   #1373
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Neither did Vettel !!!
When was this?
Old 20 Apr 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3236994)   #1374
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
2nd last GP , when he overtook Webber to take the win .

Team orders , are in effect race rigging . How do you legaly justify that then ? Why is it illegal in horse racing , and legal in motorsports ?

Just in my opinion ..... I completely disagree with team orders , it is supposed to be racing after all , or have I missed something . I realize why its done , but don't agree with it at all .
Old 20 Apr 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3237084)   #1375
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
I would have loved to see Collard in a Porsche LMP1 racing in Le Mans. He's always been one of the most notable Porsche drivers of the last years. Has won so much in the glorious 911, and at the same time has a very good experience in LMP1, having raced with Pescarolo several times in Le Mans, as well as in many championships. I think he would have been a good experienced addition to Porsche crew, but I don't think we may really hope for this.