Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 31 Mar 2001, 18:29 (Ref:75761)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
What the hell were the two Red Bull cars trying to do ?!

There's a hell of a lot of spinners - any thoughts why ?

Finally... GO JUNGLE BOY!!
Old 31 Mar 2001, 18:38 (Ref:75764)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Bugger! Spoke too soon... Pizzonia received a 10 second penalty for passing under yellows...

Justin Wilson now in the lead! Go for it chap!
Old 31 Mar 2001, 18:59 (Ref:75769)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Woohoo! Well done Justin

1st Wilson
2nd Webber
3rd Melo
4th Bourdais
5th Salaens

BTW, Justin, love the handbrake turn at the end! Doh!!!
Old 31 Mar 2001, 19:18 (Ref:75774)   #4
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Antonio was robbed!
He had that sewn up. Had it been a CART race then he would simply have been asked to let Melo back through when they were still behind the pace car.

Interesting manouevre by Wilson at the end though
Old 31 Mar 2001, 19:28 (Ref:75776)   #5
pv27uk
Racer

pv27uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin!!

The boy done good.

Seriously, I'm really happy to see Justin win, he's finally made the breakthrough.

I have a good feeling about this season...
Old 31 Mar 2001, 19:33 (Ref:75780)   #6
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now obviously neither Pizzonia nor Sperafico or Enge were aware that there was a yellow flag situation when they overtook (or I dare say they wouldn't have done it). Question is: Even if the rule book says so, is it morally correct to punish with a 10 sec stop/go penalty in a situation like this? I tend to agree with Wodonnell here.

Not to take anything away from Wilson though, he drove a great race. I'm sure he's pretty relieved he didn't stuff it in the wall there at the end! (All the spinning - could it be due to the fact that this is the first time the F3000 teams have been at this track?)

And the Red Bull junior boys! Well, I'm sure the team boss has some words for them!
Old 31 Mar 2001, 20:01 (Ref:75788)   #7
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with R, maybe they did not see the yellow flag.
I'm in Montreal, Quebec, canada, so we do not have F3000 on TV here, so I can't know, too bad for me!

Better luck next time Red Bulls!!!

This brings us back to my predictions posted march 21st.

I got it pretty close!!!
FEUsmart (march 23rd post) and Daisy (march 24th post) were close too!

Predictions
1- Justin Wilson
2- Mark Webber
3- Darren Manning
4- Sebastien Bourdais
5- David Saelens
6- Jaime Melo Jr.

Results
1 Justin Wilson 53:48.503
2 Mark Webber +3.611
3 Jaime Melo +7.649
4 Sebastien Bourdais +17.459
5 David Saelens +21.915
6 Joel Camathias +27.098
Old 31 Mar 2001, 20:12 (Ref:75792)   #8
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here the Red Bull guys comment has posted in F3000.com seconds ago:

Patrick Friesacher: "A very bad moment for me and the team. Such an accident should not happen in any case."

Patrick: "I had a very good start, came down from position 24 to position 13 in just 7 laps. So I found my rhythm and started to attack Garcia. I was much quicker than Antonio and could get him at the end of the start and finish line. So far, so good.But Antonio pushed back and I touched him side by side. I think, it was not necessary, that Antonio tried to catch me back in this situation. I am deeply disappointed for my team. We had a great chance, to get some points – even after this forgettable qualifying yesterday.”
Old 31 Mar 2001, 21:55 (Ref:75827)   #9
JP
Rookie

JP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's obviously not what happened today, but here's a good tactic for a race leader under pressure - spot a yellow flag, back off to such an extent that everyone you consider a threat has no option other than to pass you, then sit back and wait for the stewards to pick off all your opposition!

In today's circumstances it would have been fair for all to simply bring Melo back to the front of the queue for the restart, but that's far too logical. Anyway, it all worked out for the best! Pizzonia will have his day soon.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 16:07 (Ref:76058)   #10
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Patrick Friesacher will show great things within the end of the season. Ok, he qualified 24th, but due to a tecnical problem he only had one flying lap.
In the race he overtook and was 14th when he had this mentioned crash with his teammate. Anyway after Villeneuve who saw the race in the TV, it wasn't Friesacher's fault.
But after all I saw from this young austrian guy he should be the next austrian in F1...he or Lechner...
Old 2 Apr 2001, 09:32 (Ref:76440)   #11
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just watched the race again on video, to get a better idea what went on.

Although the penalties for overtaking under yellows on Pizzonia, Sperafico and Enge were a little harsh, I think it was fair. Particularly Enge - he initally ducked out to follow Pizzonia and Sperafico, but changed his mind as they were approaching a bend. He then nipped past on the next straight. The cameras were too slow to pick up on how Pizzonia got past, or how quickly Melo really did slow, although presumably the stewards who gave the penalties had more evidence. They certainly took their time to dole them out!

It was also interesting how difficult it appeared to be to overtake. Once the penalties had been imposed on the top three runners, they were unable to make any substantial progress through the midfield runners they found themselves fighting with. I think Pizzonia managed to only pass two or three in the twelve or so laps after his stop-go. Sperafico and Enge were unable to pass Derek Hill, who was over one second slower than Sperafico in qualifying.

Now let's see what happens in Imola!
Old 2 Apr 2001, 11:53 (Ref:76506)   #12
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortunately Webber has been penalised and now officially classified as 7th after passing under yellow (at the start/finish on the restart by about 1/500th of a second).
Old 2 Apr 2001, 17:03 (Ref:76603)   #13
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hurray, 3 pts for Saelens and Minardi
Old 2 Apr 2001, 18:39 (Ref:76658)   #14
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a shame for Webber.

Still, rules are rules, you're not allowed to pass before the start/finish line on a restart.
Old 3 Apr 2001, 16:01 (Ref:76957)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what about the sperafico twins, eh? those two are going places fast! (gravel traps not included...)

just one question - was ricardo sperafico pushed or did he jump?
Old 5 Apr 2001, 14:50 (Ref:77751)   #16
jvcBrasil
Rookie

Florianópolis,Brasil; Buenos Aires,Argentina and Santiago, Chile
jvcBrasil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pizzonia will be champion..

I was really ungry and desapointed with our brazilian guy being robbed like that. If you see the replay, Melo Jr just stopped the car.. Pizzonia had to pass. there was no other thing to do.. But now, we're really happy because we saw a new brazilian guy confirm he will be champion!
Old 5 Apr 2001, 16:08 (Ref:77779)   #17
AndyM
Racer

AndyM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys,

It certainly was an interesting race, well chuffed for Justin....

Looking at the race again I think Ricardo Sperafico just slid wide, thats what it looks like anyway, but Autosport reckoned he tangled with Giorgio Pantano, he certainly finished down the order, think he had to change his front wing so maybe Giorgio gave him a nudge.

Andy