Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 15 Mar 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1549658)   #1
Adam Ferrington
Racer

Adam Ferrington should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Galvin, Mark

Does anyone have any idea what Mark Galvin (sometime Irish F3 and Le Mans driver in 1986 & 87) is doing now? If possible I'd like to try to contact him.
Also, what was his background prior to appearing in F3?
Old 15 Mar 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1549699)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Pretty good driver. I remember him being entered in Formula ford 1600 and FF2000 and then spent a few years in F3 driving for Docking i think?

He was quite versatile even trying things like BTCC (Holden Commodore which was also run by Docking for Mike O Brien), Thundersports and even Group C?
Old 15 Mar 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1549703)   #3
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's still around - he's been contributing to this thread (under the user-name 'Kram'):

[mod]Sorry folks, I know it's thread related, but no links to other forums allowed[/mod]

Worth reading just for his anecdotes!

Paul M

Last edited by Woolley; 15 Mar 2006 at 21:51.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1549728)   #4
Adam Ferrington
Racer

Thanks guys! Exactly what I was looking for.

He seems to be living in Canada, according to his posts on FerrariChat.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1549738)   #5
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its funny I was just thinking the same thing myself the other day, where did he end up. Well, we don't really know from his thread... but its a fabulous insight into his career and behind the scenes at Le Mans in the 1980s.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 21:22 (Ref:1549823)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was'nt he an investment broker in the city at that time? Loaded for sure!
Old 15 Mar 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1549826)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Docking made a few bob out of him for sure! Remember he ran the Le Mans Mazdas at that time too. He ran an Argo in FF2000 before F3. Reminds me a bit of Mark Shaw ten yers later - quick on occasion but basically a rich boy enjoying being a race driver.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1549827)   #8
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
... Was he ? or was that Warren Carway ?
Old 15 Mar 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1549838)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Im sure he was a city boy, investments and the like.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1549905)   #10
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Galvin -what Happened To Him ?

Mark raced in Ireland before heading to the UK , his family had mining interests in Australia ,Mark worked as I recall in the family business . When racing in IRELAND he used plain overalls no name patch , and towed his Royale with a Toyota landcruiser , no fancy trucks for him .When he won C2 at Le Mans he was delighted , I was standing on the balcony (pits) overlooking the paddock , he was walking through the paddock , hailed to me and came up to chat , very excited that he had won his class , a lifelong ambition realised . I think Mark was in the sport for fun not to make a carrear , I must check if he is still in Dublin , havent seen him in years .
Old 15 Mar 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1549913)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Some great posts on that Ferrari forum by Mark Galvin, he certainly sounds a well balanced individual! Mondello, was'nt intoning he was'nt serious about his racing, he seems to have approached it in a humble manner. Just that money didnt seem the issue it did for so many other in those days. Anyway read the Ferrari forum, its a long thread but superb - although that stuff about Roland Linder is just as engaging a read.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1550113)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Didn't he have a brief stab at F3k? A DNQ or something? Guess that was a "just-in-case" try...to prevent him thinking "if only I'd've had a go"...
Old 16 Mar 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1550138)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah I think he had a go at the 86 or 87 Le Mans F3000 round for CBR. Now I come to think of it Im sure it was 86. Wonder what happened to his erstwhile F3 team mate Giles Butterfield, A former superkart racer who seemd to go straight into Class B F3 (was that allowed from gearbox karting??) and dominate, he then got Warmastyle Racing for Britain money for 86 and did absolutely nothing. He then tried to resurrect the Saab f3 engine, then later his GB engineering concern ran their own VW F3 programme, when the Mugens had taken over. I can remember the team I worked for buying an engine from them, I think Keith Greene was there at the time, something tells me they were bidding to run Renault Touring Cars, which they did win and run for a season or two. After that ,nada...
Old 16 Mar 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1550149)   #14
kram
Rookie

Canada
Park Bench
kram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’m amazed! The memories you guys have! When I get up in the morning I don’t know who I am (and I certainly don’t recognise the old guy I’m shaving in the mirror). But I am alive, boots up on a desk, raising children and very happy.

I’ve never been an investment broker, though I did once sell ice-cream off an O’Boyle’s truck in Bristol, Pennsylvania, which, I hear tell, uses the same skill set. Mondello Man (I remember you!) has just about covered it.

And Ensign14, you are quite correct. I did have a swing at the F3000 bat in ‘86. It was the usual story, what with a great test at Snetterton, people flinging flowers in the air and general Maypole dancing it went so well, then during qualifying in France the car wouldn’t pull itself out of bed. It turned out to be a bad can of French petrol had blocked the fuel filter, which in turn acted like a rev limiter on the engine. It made me ask myself if not qualifying a F3000 at the Bugatti circuit was more fun than racing a F3 at Brands or Monza. You can guess what the answer was.......

Thanks for asking and I hope you are all also thriving,

Mark
Old 16 Mar 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1550154)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Mark , welcome. I've been up since 5am because of work, thats my excuse for being alert. Be nice to hear some more of your stories when you have time. Bit worried about your test recollections of Snett though, sounds more like the Isle of White circa 1970 !!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1550158)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome indeed, Mark. I'm with ghinzani; let's hear some stories!

It's great when someone posts 'What happened to .... ' and the person concerned pops up to tell us!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1550163)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Shorehill Investments !!! Thats what made me think of Investment banking! Or was I confusing Mark with Paul "is that the green light or red" Stott... I also recall what I believe was your last F3 race at Thruxton at the end of 87. That wasnt a half bad race as I recall, didnt Herbert get knocked off and then storm back from last to third? If its the one I am thinking about he was absolutely mega on the brakes into the chicane, and a trick Spiess engine doesnt afford you that sort of advantage! Mark had a good run too I think, was'nt it a red Reynard that you had?
Old 16 Mar 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1550177)   #18
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giles works/run Bedford Autodrome & FPA for Palmer.

Mark Galvin must surely be congratulated for him attempt to carry Cathy Muller thro' a Donnington gravel trap - having made an attempt to mount her 5 secs earlier....no mean feat. I would have thought a piggy back rather than a firemans lift would have been more successful..

Worryingly that was 20 years ago. . . .
Old 16 Mar 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1550263)   #19
davyboy
Veteran

Mega to have you on board 10-10ths Mark and great to see that you've not lost the Irish art of raconteuring. I always followed your efforts in the UK through the 1980s, albeit from a distance through the pages of Autosport, as you were one of the only guys from the Republic active at international level around then. Hope you're keeping well and doing well and great to have you here.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1550395)   #20
Adam Ferrington
Racer

Welcome, Mark,

How great to have you posting here, a day after I posted the question!
The power of the 'net' !
Old 16 Mar 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1550547)   #21
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well Mark you rememberme , I met Patrick Moore a few months ago , I think he would have great difficulty getting into an RP24 today , he is now a heavy weight .
Old 17 Mar 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1551160)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Mr Galvin, i recall you having some plain green overalls i think?

Not sure about the category you were in at the time (have a feeling it was a an plain Red F3 Ralt RT3 or RT30 you were next to?) but I remember getting your autograph, which you seemed quite surprised about at an August Oulton meeting in '85!!

You may have been talking to Cathy Muller or someone like that?!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1554200)   #23
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A driver of that period, Irish again I think, was Robert Lee Lewis (??). OTOH he did F3000 in 87, with a Colin Bennett March. I was surprised at the time, 'cos I'd hardly heard of him. He seemed to have good backing from a Tech Company, was it Brother or something ? He didn't do very well IIRC, and then disappeared.

Anyone else remember him ?
Old 20 Mar 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1554216)   #24
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Lee-Lewis was Welsh. I understand he had quite a bit of talent but his sponsor insisted he go straight from FF2k to F3k and the leap was too much.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1554225)   #25
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Ensigns correct although I thought it was FF1600 (regional and/or historic at that) to F3000. Brother was the sponsor, think they had got rid of him by the end of the season although I recall hearing him mentioned with a drive in 88 but nothing came of it. Shame 'cos Brother wanted to take him up to F1 as I recall.