Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Oct 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3585082)   #1
Nial McCabe
Rookie

United States
New Jersey - USA
Nial McCabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic (or hysterical) Racing

This isn't quite the normal "historic" racing. Although it involved a bunch of old crocks racing about.
In this case, The Race of Gentlemen.....an event held at Wildwood, New Jersey (a classic "Jersey Shore" beach town).
"Races" were held at 1/8 mile drag races on the beach. They had entrants from Japan, Canada and Norway.
All race cars must have pre-war engine designs (read "flathead") but early 50s bodies were allowed. There was also Motorcycles (hand-shift required).
There was a belly tanker land speed racer (flathead V8 Ford) and a twin engine Ford Model A Speedster. And other stuff.
The event is sort of a mix between Burning Man, a Steampunk show and a Rat Rod parade.
Lots of non-racing hot rods too. This isn't really my thing, but our Watkins Glen event had been cancelled (due to repaving) so we had this weekend free. It was interesting in it's own way. The "racers" were mostly sort of slow (and pretty quiet too.....flatheads don't have high compression). There was an aerial display by a Stearman that was pretty amazing.

My photos ---> http://vintageracer.tripod.com/TRoG-2015.html

Their website ---> http://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/

Sample photos...

Old 24 Oct 2015, 04:44 (Ref:3585141)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Fantastic, thanks for sharing. I love the 55 Bel Air but then I'm a bit biased to them. I didn't realise that you have such lovely beaches in NJ although I've only ever been to Point Pleasant (I think) and Atlantic City.
Old 24 Oct 2015, 19:57 (Ref:3585293)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Looks more authentic some some histrionics we see here

And enjoyable to boot.
Old 25 Oct 2015, 08:58 (Ref:3585391)   #4
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happily, the VHRA runs an analogous meeting at Pendine Sands in the UK each Summer.... well worth a visit I am told.
Nick
Old 25 Oct 2015, 13:59 (Ref:3585451)   #5
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much prefer their starting system to our lights!
Old 26 Oct 2015, 07:52 (Ref:3585632)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, that's good fun stuff, thanks Nial.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 26 Oct 2015, 19:05 (Ref:3585778)   #7
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yeah, that's good fun stuff, thanks Nial.
Yes, John is right. It does look a really enjoyable event.

Once again Nial, great pictures and informative coverage.

Thank you so much.