Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 May 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3904820)   #1
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
John Smith

It is with the utmost heavy heart.... I am so numb I cannot speak, but its my sad sad duty to inform you all , that one of the great lights in grass roots Motorsport... and indeed international historic motorsport... motorsport in general, has been extinguished.

John Smith, former International Clerk of The Course, former Race Director HSBC and Masters, Co Founder of The 360 Motor Racing Club, and one of the most genuine men in Motorsport, passed away in the early hours of this morning.

I am understandably numb in truth , I will keep you all posted on things such as wake/ memorial.

God Bless all
Claire
Old 20 May 2019, 09:15 (Ref:3904821)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
So so sorry Claire. RIP John.He was a top bloke.
Old 20 May 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3904825)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Huge condolences Claire.
Old 20 May 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3904826)   #4
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My deepest condolences Claire, I just saw your post on FB and had a horrible feeling, so came on here and my fears were confirmed. RIP John.

Last edited by Cliff Ryan; 20 May 2019 at 09:38.
Old 20 May 2019, 10:03 (Ref:3904829)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Terrible news Claire. Thanks for letting us know. Was hoping to see him at Donington. RIP John, you will be sorely missed.
Old 20 May 2019, 10:11 (Ref:3904835)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've taken the liberty of copying this thread to Tributes.
Old 20 May 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3904839)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So sorry to hear that Claire.

It was a privilege to have met John a few times and benefited from his help, experience and insights.

As delta said - a top bloke.
Old 20 May 2019, 10:42 (Ref:3904840)   #8
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I've taken the liberty of copying this thread to Tributes.
Thanks Peter sorry... i didn't think of that x
Old 20 May 2019, 10:43 (Ref:3904841)   #9
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Condolences to his family.
Old 20 May 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3904852)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really sad news. It was good to know John, RIP
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 20 May 2019, 12:00 (Ref:3904855)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Thanks Peter sorry... i didn't think of that x
No worries Claire. Historics is where he'll be remembered most but the wider audience should also be informed.
Old 20 May 2019, 12:11 (Ref:3904859)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
As I said on FB, deepest condolences to you Claire. I am so sad to hear that one of the nicest, kindest blokes you'd ever wish to meet is no longer with us.

RIP John Smith
Old 20 May 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3904876)   #13
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I said on the 360 Facebook page: It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I'm commenting on this post. John was a gentleman who lived and loved motorsport. As one of the figureheads of The 360 he brought professionalism and wisdom to proceedings along with common sense and a love of his colleagues, racers, and marshals alike. Any circuit or club that plans a minutes silence for John at a race meeting, please reconsider; rev those engines loud, I'm sure it's what he would have wanted.
Old 20 May 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3904936)   #14
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P. John.
Old 20 May 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3904961)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
That’s very sad news Claire. Sorry not to have responded earlier but have been driving back from Spa and only just seen the thread.

RIP John and condolences to all family and friends.
Old 20 May 2019, 22:14 (Ref:3904984)   #16
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the Historic Formula Ford fraternity this is sad news; John was very influential and respected with us at the HSCC in our early years.

A solid character with a big heart, fair, dependable, straightforward and therefore reliable which we really appreciated and made him part of our racing history.
Goodbye John. THANKS. Dick Dixon HFF
Old 22 May 2019, 08:37 (Ref:3905194)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
R.I.P. John, a lovely man, and most encouraging toward me when I first started racing.
Old 24 May 2019, 03:39 (Ref:3905440)   #18
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad to read this, really helpful to many people including getting me involved in Safety Car driving.
Thank you so much John, RIP, you will be sorely missed by many.
Old 24 May 2019, 10:04 (Ref:3905479)   #19
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
All,

I am hoping to compile a film tribute to John Smith which will be shown at the wake (still not confirmed when that is but we will let you all know as soon as possible ) but also the film will be available on the 360 Website, but I need your help, if you have any pictures of you with him or indeed of him etc,

if you would like them included then can you send them to me via PM here or to my e mail (PM me for) then that would be great.

Thanks
Claire
Old 21 Jun 2019, 20:07 (Ref:3913383)   #20
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
THE DATE OF THE FUNERAL

After considerable time, we can now announce that the funeral of John Gregory Smith will take place on
Tuesday 9 July 2019 at 13:00 at

Tunbridge Wells Crematorium
Benhall Mill Rd
Tunbridge Wells
TN2 5JJ. following this service, we will then celebrate Johns life at
Brands Hatch Circuit
Fawkham
Longfield
Kent
DA3 8NG

John specifically asked for no flowers but instead if you would like, you can make a donation to The Stroke Association or The Motorsports Safety Fund (of which John was a trustee.)

Whilst black is usually worn out of respect, this is a celebration of his life and as such, it is not a necessity, the choice is yours.

We regret that seeing John at the funeral directors will not be possible.

If you are attending please RSVP to me so that I may know for numbers.

Thank you again.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 20:26 (Ref:3913387)   #21
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for posting this up Claire . I should like to come . Very fitting to be at Brands Hatch . Kind regards Iain
Old 21 Jun 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3913391)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Agree with Iain, many thanks for posting and all the organisation, I'll be there as well.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 21:17 (Ref:3913393)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I hope the day goes well. A life well worth celebrating. Sadly I will be in foreign fields but I will be there in spirit.
Old 22 Jun 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3913447)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for letting us know, Claire. I’m also elsewhere on the day, unfortunately, heading for Hungary.

I’ll be thinking of John on the day, and hope he gets a good send off at Brands.
Old 4 Jul 2019, 12:59 (Ref:3915853)   #25
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just heard the very sad news of Johns passing. A good friend, always available for a chat. Like Terry, helped me into safety car work too. RIP John