Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 Jul 2022, 11:03 (Ref:4119878)   #26
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
peetleouf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the additional date will be in Europe, for logistic reasons. Portimao expected, but some manufacturers / teams want Silverstone in summer, Monza in april because this is a high speed track like Le Mans
Old 19 Jul 2022, 11:09 (Ref:4119879)   #27
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Monza before Le Mans would make a lot of sense from a BoP fun and games perspective
Old 19 Jul 2022, 20:20 (Ref:4119907)   #28
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
We're all aware of this. But this is a thread full of fans. So I'm not sure what people expect from these threads.

ACO ask what people want.
Fans say they want Silverstone
ACO pick circuits that aren't Silverstone (for some valid reasons)
Thread pops up about calendar changes
Fans still want Silverstone

Lets be reasonable here. Nobody sits and says "Well I'd prefer Silverstone by understand that the Crown Prince of Bahrain has decided that he wants another play thing, so I'm happy with Bahrain".

Or to put it another way - don't be surprised people keep asking for the same thing after you do a survey of what they want, and then decide that what they want isn't your priority.
Hey, there might be 8 fans in the ME from the UK who would love to see a race at their local track.
Old 20 Jul 2022, 07:23 (Ref:4119920)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Silverstone is a soulless industrial park, hard for non-UK teams to get to even before Brexit. I’d much rather WEC went to Portimao despite living less than an hour’s drive from Silverstone.
I think it's a lot better than that. I've been going there for many years and hugely enjoyed my sportscar fix there for three days every year. Maybe I want it back because I have no inclination to travel further afield - I do Le Mans and that's it for me. I would cheer very loudly if Silverstone got it's race back.
Old 20 Jul 2022, 11:40 (Ref:4119932)   #30
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Why did Silverstone "lose" its WEC race? Whenever I attended over the last 10 years it was always really busy...?
Old 20 Jul 2022, 12:03 (Ref:4119934)   #31
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Why did Silverstone "lose" its WEC race? Whenever I attended over the last 10 years it was always really busy...?
Brexit, like the most international events, that quit the uk in the last years.
Old 20 Jul 2022, 13:30 (Ref:4119938)   #32
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Brexit and money. The ACO and FIA since 2017 didn't get a deal with Silverstone (or any other British circuit) that was financially beneficial to them, so they gave up and sort of used Brexit as a cover story/excuse to justify their decision (just like Audi Sport and Porsche Motorsport did with Dieselgate to justify aborting their WEC programs due to poor ROI outside of Le Mans).
Old 20 Jul 2022, 13:34 (Ref:4119939)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Brexit and money. The ACO and FIA since 2017 didn't get a deal with Silverstone (or any other British circuit) that was financially beneficial to them, so they gave up and sort of used Brexit as a cover story/excuse to justify their decision (just like Audi Sport and Porsche Motorsport did with Dieselgate to justify aborting their WEC programs due to poor ROI outside of Le Mans).
Exactly. Nothing really to do with Brexit at all.
Old 20 Jul 2022, 14:09 (Ref:4119940)   #34
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Exactly. Nothing really to do with Brexit at all.
I would posit F1 had more to do with it than Brexit, can't get a good deal from Silverstone cause F1 burns all the money they have. And Bahrain has cash to spare
Old 20 Jul 2022, 15:53 (Ref:4119949)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I would posit F1 had more to do with it than Brexit, can't get a good deal from Silverstone cause F1 burns all the money they have. And Bahrain has cash to spare
You may well be right there....
Old 20 Jul 2022, 17:46 (Ref:4119955)   #36
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Donington or Brands Hatch not suitable?
Old 20 Jul 2022, 18:18 (Ref:4119959)   #37
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
For WEC? Surely you jest sir. Only the finest Grade 1 circuits (well you know except that big one) will do here, no lesser circuits may apply

Ok yes Sebring isn't Grade 1 either but you get the point
Old 20 Jul 2022, 20:13 (Ref:4119966)   #38
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
SRO said Brexit too or something but they still keep coming to Brands Hatch so that blows that argument up...

Got to admit that every time ive been to Silverstone its actually been ok other than the lack of grandstands open on certain days.
Old 20 Jul 2022, 21:22 (Ref:4119971)   #39
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was going to mention Donington earlier. 10 or so Hypercars pouring down Craner Curves? It's not a terrible idea.

https://youtu.be/J1SoNGsgBHQ
Old 21 Jul 2022, 05:49 (Ref:4119996)   #40
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
We don’t know for sure ofc, but reasonable guess is a combination of (i) it’s not a particularly glamourous place, (ii) they wouldn’t pay enough (or charged too much, I’m not sure which it is for WEC races), (iii) Brexit and (iv) when the calendar was cut back it was the easiest to drop because of all the above.

One other thing about Silverstone is that the grandstands are mostly empty even with the 50k crowd they claimed for WEC, so it never looks full, even when there’s a decent attendance.

Silverstone exists to host the F1 GP and corporate track days. I am sure they would be very happy to have WEC back, but not to the point of vying with other tracks which, to be fair, usually have some form of local or national Govt funding.

Edit: just realised I replied without noticing there was already a page of replies saying similar, sorry!
Old 21 Jul 2022, 05:55 (Ref:4119997)   #41
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
SRO said Brexit too or something but they still keep coming to Brands Hatch so that blows that argument up...
SRO did address this, pointing out that Sprint is 28 cars whereas Endurance is over 50 plus the Lambo supports.

But that came down to money too, I agree. Silverstone was the only GTWC circuit not open on the Friday. I asked why and was told, in an off-guard moment, that SRO refused to pay the rent Silverstone wanted for the extra day. For comparison, at Monza, Paul Ricard and Barcelona, Friday isn’t only open, it’s free entry.

Quote:
Donington doesn’t have the facilities and Brands Hatch is too narrow for modern GTs and Prototypes, especially when the latter are lapping the former. It would be a very pretty succession of safety car periods.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 06:36 (Ref:4119998)   #42
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:

One other thing about Silverstone is that the grandstands are mostly empty even with the 50k crowd they claimed for WEC, so it never looks full, even when there’s a decent attendance.
Yes, but that's nothing much to do with those attending, that was always Silverstone's choice not to man them so they couldn't open them. There were even occasions in the past where they said they would be open online but they weren't.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 06:51 (Ref:4120001)   #43
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yes, but that's nothing much to do with those attending, that was always Silverstone's choice not to man them so they couldn't open them. There were even occasions in the past where they said they would be open online but they weren't.
Oh for sure. The refusal to open grandstands was/is absolutely infuriating. Sorry I should have been more clear - the grandstands are empty because Silverstone don’t open them, not because spectators prefer to sit on grass behind fencing!
Old 21 Jul 2022, 12:21 (Ref:4120025)   #44
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
SRO did address this, pointing out that Sprint is 28 cars whereas Endurance is over 50 plus the Lambo supports.
In addition to this, GT4 Europe has stopped attending the UK post-Brexit. The GTWC Sprint event at Brands Hatch used UK based series for support. In 2019, the support series included GT4 Europe, Formula Renault Europe and Lambos.

Brexit has impacted SRO racing in the UK, without a doubt.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 18:52 (Ref:4120067)   #45
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Silverstone exists to host the F1 GP and corporate track days. I am sure they would be very happy to have WEC back, but not to the point of vying with other tracks which, to be fair, usually have some form of local or national Govt funding.

Edit: just realised I replied without noticing there was already a page of replies saying similar, sorry!
Agree; Silverstone/ BRDC is all about F1.....And in the UK I can't see Govt/regional assembly/tourist boards handing over cash for niche motorsport events anymore. Look at RallyGB.....
Old 22 Jul 2022, 08:13 (Ref:4120105)   #46
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
And in the UK I can't see Govt/regional assembly/tourist boards handing over cash for niche motorsport events anymore. Look at RallyGB.....
Another good example of that is the Tour de Yorkshire which was a massive event brought in loads of people and exposure to Yorkshire, the local councils have walked away as it cost to much and it looks like sadly it is coming back.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 08:43 (Ref:4120110)   #47
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
Another good example of that is the Tour de Yorkshire which was a massive event brought in loads of people and exposure to Yorkshire, the local councils have walked away as it cost to much and it looks like sadly it is coming back.
** Off Topic **

It's a bit different to 'the local councils walked away because it cost too much'. They were never involved with funding the event directly in the first place. It was actually WtY that claimed it cost too much.

Tour de Yorkshire is owned by the french Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO) and was part funded by Welcome to Yorkshire Ltd (WtY) - a business that went into administration on 1 March 2022 and ultimately was placed into liquidation.
At the time of the liquidation, the company owed North Yorkshire Pension Fund over £1.4 million along with a further question mark hanging over the company following an expenses scandal in 2019.

Councils (understandably) agreed to cease funding WtY until there was clarity in the ownership of the company. WtY declared that they were no longer able to subsidise the event and nine local councils were approached to provide £100k each.

An email from former WtY chief executive James Mason reads "Whilst we are fully supportive of the race and is a fantastic event which brings a huge amount of civic pride and economic activity to the region, it has never delivered a profit for WtY and in fact one could argue the financial drain on the organisation has created some of our challenges in recent years as the organisation has had to put in large chunks of its operational budget to cover the shortfall. We can no longer afford to do this."

Since that date - the rights to the event have been sold to Silicon Dales who are planning to get the race running again for the 10th anniversary of the 2014 Yorkshire Grand Depart in 2024.

It is highly unlikely to return any earlier because the initial 10-year contract terms for that WtY was required to support the race until 2024.

The lack of Tour de Yorkshire is also one of the reasons that the Tour of Britain can ride through Yorkshire now. The ASO and WtY contract prohibits Yorkshire Councils from hosting another major cycling race two months before, or one month after, the Tour de Yorkshire.

** Off Topic Ends **
Old 22 Jul 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4120112)   #48
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, before the Tour de France Grand Depart in 2014, there were strong rumours that WtY were going to back an IRC Rally Yorkshire.....however, when the chance to host Le Tour came along, those plans/rumours got torn up.

Incidentally, WtY backed the UCI MTB World Cup in Dalby Forest....but that had it's funding taken away as well.....and has never returned. The venue of Nino's first Elite World Cup win.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 15:07 (Ref:4127864)   #49
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2023 FIA World Endurance Championship schedule:
  • March 11-12: Prologue at Sebring
  • March 17: Sebring
  • April 16: Algarve
  • April 29: Spa-Francorchamps
  • June 10-11: Le Mans
  • July 9: Monza
  • September 10: Fuji
  • November 4: Bahrain
Old 29 Sep 2022, 15:07 (Ref:4127865)   #50
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Algarve clashes with IMSA at Long Beach and the Chinese GP, and Spa clashes with the Azerbaijan GP.

If both WEC races were moved one week later, Algarve would clash neither F1 or IMSA, and Spa would clash the Miami GP (not that bad).