Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:00 (Ref:562588)   #51
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula 1 has been guilty of precisely the same thing - putting TV ratings and timings first by allowing the race to continue. He was clearly treated in a hurried way and that may've worsened the injuries, especially the spinal ones.

Questions need to be answered - the race officials have responded in a very cynical, closed-rank way - saying "it could've happened anywhere in tehe world" is utter rubbish - no other circuit in the world has concrete walls this close to the track at fast sections.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 11:14 (Ref:562646)   #52
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if anything is right, then they should have redflagged the race.
And then they should redesign that track!
And fire those who is responsible.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 11:31 (Ref:562661)   #53
Winther
Racer

Slight update on the Motograndprix site.
Katoh is doing a bit better.
Not great news but it could perhaps be good news on the long run.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 12:03 (Ref:562690)   #54
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read the same thing Winther. Apparently his blood pressure has normalised, which means his chances of survival have increased slightly, but they say he's far from out of the woods.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 14:13 (Ref:562830)   #55
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he deserves a life, even in a wheelchair with no movement if that is the case. At least he can watch his daughter grow up... I REALLY hope he pulls through.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 14:17 (Ref:562834)   #56
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure about the thing about concrete walls and straights. I thing it's better to have a near concrete wall (in a straight) than a wall slightly removed, but not too far, because with a near wall the angle of impact is relatively shallow (as in ovals). Obviously the best solution would be to take walls far away and some gravel traps, but I think we have some F1 tracks with solid walls near the track (Interlagos?, Montreal?,...). I think they (riders/drivers/FIA/FIM) allow it for that reason. Sadly here we got a very nasty accident and it must be evaluated before to do a wrong movement.

Actually I got really scared when I saw Cechinello's cuasi accident in the last lap. That Armco barrier was absolutely awful there: I was wondering what had happened if the driver had crash into its cutting edge. Shadows of past gruesome accidents came to my mind

In other side of things, I have the feel that perhaps those formidable MotoGP bikes are becoming to brutal to control. Many incidents, and many cuasi incidents... It reminds me of Group B(?) rally cars... I love to see those beasts but I'm frightened bad things can go on in the future.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 14:42 (Ref:562857)   #57
Winther
Racer

Yeah the increased weight must propel these monsters some more than the old 500's did.
And they have increased speed now.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 16:34 (Ref:562946)   #58
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whether he lives or not; as far as I can see this is the worst motorsport tragedy since Sennas crash. I looked on that link at the crash photos.....that is really horrible. Personally I hope he survives whatever state he ends up in; surely that has to be better than dying?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 18:10 (Ref:563032)   #59
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelH
Whether he lives or not; as far as I can see this is the worst motorsport tragedy since Sennas crash.
What about Jeff Krosnof, Greg Moore or Gonzalo Rodreguiz (all in CART) and all 3 died, Kato's accident is very sad, as sad as the others, but surely not worse. Death is death unfortunatly.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 18:56 (Ref:563072)   #60
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
What about Jeff Krosnof, Greg Moore or Gonzalo Rodreguiz (all in CART) and all 3 died, Kato's accident is very sad, as sad as the others, but surely not worse. Death is death unfortunatly.
I put also Dale Earnhardt's death ahead of those. Maybe for us who are not interested of NASCAR it wasn't so big loss, but Earnhardt was much bigger star than Greg Moore...and Daijiro Kato.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 19:02 (Ref:563075)   #61
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lets not get into a dutch auction on this. We should concentrate on poor Dajiros condition.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 20:30 (Ref:563204)   #62
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winther, Boots, calm down... Good lord, you sound like the Italian prosecutors... "Someone must be responsible!"

Sh*t happens. We can only try and decrease that risk, it can never be removed totally.

It's this sort of narrow-minded, all-or-nothing thinking which will be the downfall of civilization. Use some damn common sense, nothing and no one is all wrong or all right.

Like I said, people who use tragedy to forward their own agendas make me violently ill.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 20:46 (Ref:563229)   #63
Winther
Racer

Well someone is responsible!
It is a highrisk sport, but that wall is too close and the handling was not very good from the officials.
I am not having any agenda, I just did not like what I saw very much!
The race should have been stopped, but that is in the past now....nothing can be done anymore.
It is just an awfully shame that this happend.
Sorry for the outbursts.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 21:08 (Ref:563255)   #64
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, let's hope the best- whatever this would be...
I am so sorry for his two little kids...
Old 8 Apr 2003, 21:21 (Ref:563286)   #65
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Absolutely right mr v. Can't believe those slipped my mind, I really can't.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 22:21 (Ref:563373)   #66
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Friends and family have been a constant presence at the bedside of injured MotoGP star Daijiro Kato since his accident at Suzuka on Sunday, amid reports that his condition may be slowly improving.

Although circuit officials claim that they have heard little news since Kato was first admitted to Mie Medical Centre in Yokkaaichi, Japanese newspaper Nikkan Sports Daily has reported that his condition has stabilised in the past 24 hours. However, Kato remains in a coma after suffering extensive head, neck and chest injuries in the third lap Japanese Grand Prix accident.

According to one of the visitors to his hospital room, friend and race rival Makoto Tamada, Kato has made a slight improvement since first being admitted. The Pramac Honda rider told motograndprix.com that Kato's heart rate is stronger after 48 hours in the intensive care unit, and that his blood pressure, which had dropped alarmingly immediately after the incident, had recovered.

"Even though he has survived the most important stage after the accident, the doctor says he is still in grave danger," Tamada related, "It is difficult to predict the future of the situation. I still can´t believe it - I can only pray that he recovers."

Tohru Ukawa, Norick Abe, Youichi Ui, Nobby Ueda, and the Aoki brothers were among the concerned visitors joining Kato's family, team boss Fausto Gresini and Honda representatives at his bedside.

Doctors have refused to make any official statement, and are unlikely to do so unless there is a major change in Kato´s condition.

--------------
from another website
Old 8 Apr 2003, 23:24 (Ref:563401)   #67
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
(Relatively) good news:

I've just heard Sete Gibernau talking on radio and he said he recently talked with people in the hospital and the doctors don't know for sure if Kato's spinal cord is cutted or not, and It is not sure if he is going to be quadraplegic (if he survive).

I pray for he can survive and do a normal life. My wild dream is he can ride a motorcycle one day (because I think it would be important for him).

Those Suzuka's images still haunt me...
Old 9 Apr 2003, 09:20 (Ref:563698)   #68
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bleu
I put also Dale Earnhardt's death ahead of those. Maybe for us who are not interested of NASCAR it wasn't so big loss, but Earnhardt was much bigger star than Greg Moore...and Daijiro Kato.

Why is Dale's life more important than Moore and Katoh?

Simply because he is a bigger "star" than those two has to be the reason why he's worth more?

Sick...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 9 Apr 2003 at 09:21.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 09:36 (Ref:563712)   #69
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*puts on moderator hat*

People, can we please stop the comparison of accidents. It's a rather sad topic as it is, and comparing this incident to others and saying 'This one is worse' is just not on.

This thread is simply to bring any good news about Kato, or if the unfortunate happens, send condolensces.

If you want to discuss the safety of the Suzuka circuit or anything else within reason, by all means start another thread.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 10:20 (Ref:563750)   #70
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well said f1manoz.

lets hope those encouraging signs continue.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 11:47 (Ref:563825)   #71
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure it's been mentioned before (I don't really post in the bike forum because I don't really know much about bikes) but I was watching the race on Sunday and it was GLARINGLY OBVIOUS that this was a serious accident and that Kato was in a bad shape. WHY wasn't the red flag thrown??

I keep hope that Daijiro will recover speedily.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 16:12 (Ref:564113)   #72
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news from BBC

Kato's life 'no longer in danger'

MotoGP rider Daijiro Kato has shown some improvement following his crash in Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix.
The 26-year-old Honda rider remains in a coma but his condition is said to be stable.

"He remains unconscious but he is in a condition which is not expected to become life-threatening," a Honda spokesman said on Wednesday.

Kato, the 2001 250cc world champion, suffered serious injuries to the head, chest and neck when he was thrown off his bike after hitting a tyre barrier at Suzuka.

His father was quoted in a Japanese newspaper as saying that the rider's condition was improving.

"His blood pressure rose as high as 150 and his pulse as high as 100. If he keeps on improving at this rate, blood will begin circulating in the damaged part of the head," Takashi Kato told Tokyo Chunichi Sports.

The Telefonica Movistar Honda team will take part in the second round of the MotoGP championship in South Africa despite the accident to Kato.

"This is a very difficult moment for the whole team," said Kato's team-mate Sebe Gibernau.

"I know Dai very well, because we spent lots of time together last winter and I am sure that, if only he could tell us something, he would tell us to go and race at Welkom and to do our best.

"I believe the best way to give him our support right now is to keep on going forward, never give up and stay close to each other."

"We all keep on praying for Daijiro, it is the only thing we can do now," added Honda team manager Fausto Gresini.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 16:23 (Ref:564122)   #73
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news, now let's see what his condition is. I hope the spinal cord is not cut....
Old 9 Apr 2003, 17:52 (Ref:564214)   #74
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
WHY wasn't the red flag thrown??
At the risk of repeating myself....television
Old 9 Apr 2003, 19:12 (Ref:564350)   #75
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
His life is not in danger anymore.

may I simply say THANK GOD.