Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 21 Apr 2004, 18:43 (Ref:946975)   #1
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
National against regional

How many drivers would join a national championship if they did not have their regional championships to run in.?
If you would not join a national why wouldn't you?
Old 21 Apr 2004, 19:06 (Ref:946997)   #2
peter thurston
Racer

peter thurston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi garry,this is my first time so be gentle with me!!
With regards to joining a national or regional series my main reason for wanting to stay local is that 1. My sponsor
wants to be involved with the racing and to advertise to local firms and 2.Driving myself for hours on end in the lorry for a 15-20min race does not appeal, especially as after racing and then loading up on my own i then have to
drive home in a state of exhaustion.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 19:20 (Ref:947011)   #3
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Peter, I remember you mentioning that in a past conversation. Just one thing though,if distance is a problem why did you race at mallory when to get there you drove past Silverstone where we were racing?
Also we get garages and more track time for our entry fee than most, two free Dunlops on registration, and discounted tyres.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 20:11 (Ref:947071)   #4
peter thurston
Racer

peter thurston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garry having never raced the prelude before i did not want to be tempted to push to hard on my first foray as i know i would have with you guys, plus it was a bank holiday and i took my better half for a weekend away and a walk around a beautiful lake! oops there just happens to be track her
dear!!!.Seriously though i dont mind maybe 200 miles radius to race what i refer to is places like oulton,croft,pembrey etc.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 22:03 (Ref:947189)   #5
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I love to get away for a weekend and hence a long trip to Castle Combe or Cadwell is fine in my book. Variety being the spice of life and all that.
I have nothing against regional championships but they don't do anything for me.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 07:46 (Ref:947556)   #6
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem like "horses for courses". The choices are there, but are there too many choices. The point being that the Auto Euro Saloons, or whatever it is called, is very similar to Formula saloons and the BARC SE saloons (formerly In gear, now Track and race car). What puts me off long distance travelling is the return journey, particularly on the congested M1 on a Sunday evening. The people who help me have to get up for work early the next day. Also try getting to Oulton Park on a Friday afternoon or evening from Kent.
As I said, though, you pay your money and take your choice.
Old 2 May 2004, 17:55 (Ref:958745)   #7
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shouldn't this thread be merged with the "Regional or National racing" thread that has also been established.

I for one would prefer regional racing. I do not have the time or the money to drive around the country and stay overnight etc - if I could just race regionally, in a formula libre type format, I could probably race 2 or 3 more times a year. Regional racing might even allow racers, and series, to investigate some sponsorship opportunities - regional events may be more relevant things to back for small, local, companies.

Whilst we are on the subject, I thing that the BARC-SEC do an excellent job with their regional races - practice and 2 races for £110 can't be matched. I just hope that interest in the single seaters grows. I also hope that the BARC Midlands can be persuaded to try something similar for their Midlands Open Single Seaters idea, based on the Plum Pudding meeting format, but on a regular basis.
Old 2 May 2004, 19:48 (Ref:958781)   #8
avro
Racer

avro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But based in Kent what do I call regional, Lyden and Brands ?, sorry but give me Oulton Park and Donnington, and in reply to Rod in an earlier reply, how come you won't race anywhere that means driving back on the M1 on a Sunday, but you don't mind racing at Nurburgring ?.

Come on guys lets see reals racers at real circuits ?.
Old 2 May 2004, 21:14 (Ref:958842)   #9
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of the regionals, but like avro, I love Oulton (full circuit - if it's Fosters, I'll stay at home!)

I guess I'm fairly lucky with most circuits in three or so hours range, with the exception of Croft, and Pembrey.

Lydden is one of the furthest treks, but is one of my favourite circuits.

Which would make a regional choice difficult.

As for driving home from the Nurburgring, it's much more of a pleasant drive than Oulton Park, M6, M1, M25, that's for certain.

In years gone by, the Libre format was well used for "trophy" type races. Do we need championships at all?

Rob.
Old 3 May 2004, 19:11 (Ref:959622)   #10
Werewolf
Racer

Werewolf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
like most hard working blokes it comes down to time and money and availability of both.and of course keeping er indoors happy.ive got her exactly where she wants me.