Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 6 Oct 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3932393)   #1
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Getting bored waiting for ferry at Portsmouth . Looking at FB to pass the time and there are reports that Autosport is stopping .
Old 6 Oct 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3932394)   #2
gary396
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Getting bored waiting for ferry at Portsmouth . Looking at FB to pass the time and there are reports that Autosport is stopping .
Some rumours floating around on Twitter tonight about Autosport, F1 Racing and MN. Joe Saward commented saying he'd heard the same stories so maybe something in it? Something about massive price hikes for print editions to force people into online only.

Lots of conflicting stories / rumours at the moment.
Old 6 Oct 2019, 21:27 (Ref:3932395)   #3
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Some rumours floating around on Twitter tonight about Autosport, F1 Racing and MN. Joe Saward commented saying he'd heard the same stories so maybe something in it? Something about massive price hikes for print editions to force people into online only.

Lots of conflicting stories / rumours at the moment.

I sincerely hope that Kevin will be OK, whatever is happening.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 03:14 (Ref:3932367)   #4
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport magazine to stop printing magazines at the end of the year

So sad, I buy almost all of them these last few years. I have some dating back to the 60's and have bought them regularly since 1983. Damn, so freaking sad....

https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2...SuYAT18Nd6KS9A

I hope this isn't true....
Old 7 Oct 2019, 06:08 (Ref:3932396)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!
Full story is floating around on this site with links. But I'm old and can't link to it via my phone app

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Oct 2019, 06:24 (Ref:3932397)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!
https://motorsportbroadcasting...E7C...SuYAT18Nd6KS9A

Just been on Twitter and the following tells a story

You can't run a big magazine on so few readers.

Old 7 Oct 2019, 06:26 (Ref:3932398)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
Someone told me print is making a comeback. I'm not so sure.

Old 7 Oct 2019, 07:08 (Ref:3932399)   #8
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Someone told me print is making a comeback. I'm not so sure.
Like vinyl or 8mm cine film?

Very sad if it happens, and a great shame for those employed by Haymarket, but the cost of buying glossy weekly mags is prohibitive for many folk nowadays. I read Autosport on a tablet via a subscription app that has countless titles from all over the world, but I guess it's a digitised print copy, so maybe that option would disappear as well......
Old 7 Oct 2019, 07:20 (Ref:3932400)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks like the Formula Money owner is speculating. Agreed it is based on that distribution but this may become a self fulfilling prophecy, thereby putting a number of people out of work!

He's ignoring Autosport International, which must be a good profit centre. Likewise the web subscriptions must also support the business. The paper copy is for weekly ad hoc sales and I don't know about anyone on here, but if I go to get a copy on a Saturday there is usually none to be had.

He's also probably in the pay of someone with an interest in the market.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 07:20 (Ref:3932401)   #10
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Like vinyl or 8mm cine film?

Very sad if it happens, and a great shame for those employed by Haymarket, but the cost of buying glossy weekly mags is prohibitive for many folk nowadays. I read Autosport on a tablet via a subscription app that has countless titles from all over the world, but I guess it's a digitised print copy, so maybe that option would disappear as well......
Very sad indeed, if it is true. I bought Autosport religiously every week from 1972-2004, only stopping when I moved here & just buying an occasional copy when in England. It has dropped-off quite considerably in recent years, although I bought one in England the week before Goodwood & thought it had improved somewhat - Kevin's influence is very obvious & he is to be congratulated.

For me, the most worrying thing is that there will no longer be a source to look back for information etc. I've picked-up one or two early sixties issues in recent times for some research & they are surprisingly informative.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 07:34 (Ref:3932402)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
Yes it's probably best to keep comments to one thread.

This one has more info

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Oh, I hope this works for those of you not on Tapatalk

Old 7 Oct 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3932419)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Let's see what the backlash is to this. It's such a shame this has to happen
Old 7 Oct 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3932422)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Most "magazines" are electronic now. I'm not in favour but a number of things may drive this decision. Don't forget the "green" lobby who want to cut down the use of paper. Then there's the convenience of on line info and the immediacy. On this last point Twitter gets info out quicker than Autosport. Also many people appear to believe on line info from unconfirmed sources rather than highly qualified journalists.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 10:14 (Ref:3932432)   #14
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It looks like the Formula Money owner is speculating. Agreed it is based on that distribution but this may become a self fulfilling prophecy, thereby putting a number of people out of work!

He's ignoring Autosport International, which must be a good profit centre. Likewise the web subscriptions must also support the business. The paper copy is for weekly ad hoc sales and I don't know about anyone on here, but if I go to get a copy on a Saturday there is usually none to be had.

He's also probably in the pay of someone with an interest in the market.
Autosport International has been dying on its arse for years, smaller stands, less exhibitors, larger 'feature' displays, noticebly smaller crowds. Every year I am surprised to see the banner displaying next years dates. When the banner doesn't appear that is the last year, it happened with Max Power Live.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3932434)   #15
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this is sad (mainly for the people involved as I do enjoy their YouTube channel) but the magazines quality has suffered greatly in the last five years (if not more). So this isnít the greatest loss.