Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Jul 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2925924)   #1
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gronholm to race at Lydden

According to a poster on www.rallycross.com (and I am sure that http://www.rallycrossworld.com/ had it first, RX Guru)
Old 13 Jul 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2926012)   #2
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is all true. Marcus Gronholm will be competing at Lydden Hill in the British Rallycross Championship with his (hopefully X Games winning) Best Buy Ford Fiesta Mk7.

This is a great chance for rally fans to come and not only watch Marcus but to meet the Boss and get his autograph.

Add a Group B demonstration and this should be an amazing event at the home of rallycross.

Mark
Old 13 Jul 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2926022)   #3
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
According to a poster on www.rallycross.com (and I am sure that http://www.rallycrossworld.com/ had it first, RX Guru)
Nope, RallycrossWorld.com had a full story on this first, published this morning at 7.00h CET as scheduled by Tim yesterday noon. Later on Amy Doran has published the poster on Facebook AND ONLY THEN that poster appeared on RXO.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 14:07 (Ref:2926053)   #4
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
Nope, RallycrossWorld.com had a full story on this first, published this morning at 7.00h CET as scheduled by Tim yesterday noon. Later on Amy Doran has published the poster on Facebook AND ONLY THEN that poster appeared on RXO.
That's what I said, that' RXWorld had it first
Old 13 Jul 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2926080)   #5
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Sorry, concentrated on the first link.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2926197)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh dear, its all about being first with the news isnt it! Who cares really?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2926220)   #7
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Those who do the job!
Old 13 Jul 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2926227)   #8
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome news ref Gronholm.

Here's hoping we will get Liam to test the DS3 at the event and Foust also brings a Fiests....

Chances??

Also reading press release great new for Binks also.

He will keep the Best Buy support in 2012 and will also get a MK7 Fiesta
Great news, for a full BRC and selected ERC events in 2012.

Wonder where the current Fiesta will go?? Maybe back to Pat? or Lawrence?

Anyone know what Group B/Retro cars will out at Lydden in the demo class? 6R4? RS200? Beetle?

Anyone know why it is now only a 1 day meeting? I would of thought they would struggle to get all races in 1 day if they have 50 brc, 50 btrda competitors, plus the retro class!!??

Old 13 Jul 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2926266)   #9
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
"His Kennyness" claimed in a recent video interview that he would do all the 2011 testing of the new car and that the DS3 would become the team’s machinery for 2012.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 06:37 (Ref:2926350)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would imagine Marcus is here thru best Buy and with perhaps the invitation of GSE and some start money?

I very much doubt someone of that stature would come over for the fun of it, surely he is in demand all over the world.

Best Buy are trying to break out in the UK as evidenced byu theiur strong support of Binks, having Marcus there is a huge coup. At the ERC round, his team than more than any other PR wise, so it doesnt surprise me.

But yes, would be nice to get a few more ERC guys over testing!
Old 14 Jul 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2926428)   #11
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I think it's a clever move to get Marcus over here and will no doubt increase spectator numbers through Rally fans (if the news is sufficiently broadcasted). Also great news for Binks to get a competitive OMSE Mk7 Fiesta next year, hopefully he will push for Finals as well as other Brits in the ERC next year.

Cannot wait for this event and I bet my brothers are looking forward to the prospect of going out (or at least lining up) for warm up alongside Gronholm!

As for it being moved to one day; it'll be fine. Always was one day and should remain that way. It's how it should be, jam-packed! Though hopefully few incidents so that marshals get a break!
Old 14 Jul 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2926456)   #12
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I mentioned Binks 2012 MSE Fiesta on Facebook (on the Best Buy Rallycross page) and they said nothing was confirmed yet? Superb news if its true though as it would be great to see a Mk.7 Fiesta in the UK Championship. I initially preferred the Mk.6, but the more I've seen of the Mk.7 the more its grown on me.

I was really looking forward to the August meet at Lydden to see the classic class running (plus hopefully the return of a Scoob to the Supercar class! ), but having Gronholm there in an MSE Fiesta should be the icing on the cake!

Hopefully sufficient advertising can be put up so there is a decent crowd for the event.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2926627)   #13
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Marcus should be a great addition to the line-up at Lydden. Hopefully rally fans will come out to see the man and expose new eyes to rallycross. Marcus wants to drive as much as he can. With the US season ending in a few weeks with X Games it would mean he is out of the competitive seat for a long time and he is so focused that doesn't really suit him. Running him at Lydden made sense and he will bring his total commitment to the event.

I very much doubt Tanner will have time to do the event although I will ask him. The one chance is that post Lydden the transporters heads south to Austria (?) for the ERC round so maybe the car at least will be at Lydden.

Re David and 2012, Andreas and I both want to get him in a Mk7. He had a very successful, if brief, test in Sweden and we know he has the potential if he has the right car. We are putting the pieces in place to allow him to do the BRC properly in an OMSE Ford Fiesta Mk7 as opposed to having him compromise.

Of course selling the Mk6 and the Lancer would help so if anyone wants to pick one up call David! I quite fancy bringing the Mk6 over here for Pikes Peak and Mt. Washington Hill Climb next year......

Let's hope that the weather gods play nice with us and we can have a truly memorable day with great racing and a huge crowd.

Chunder - thanks for the comment re the ERC event and David's PR approach. The team have worked very hard on that and will have an even better performance at Lydden.

Mark
Old 14 Jul 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2926652)   #14
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamakiRX View Post
Awesome news ref Gronholm.

Anyone know what Group B/Retro cars will out at Lydden in the demo class? 6R4? RS200? Beetle?
Yes I hear James Harrold will be there in Peter's old Beetle.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2926826)   #15
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would love to see out a proper 205T16 E2 once more! Scandinavian or French... The RS200 and 6R4 have been driven not so long ago, while the Peugeots were only seen till 1990...
Old 14 Jul 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2926862)   #16
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
I would love to see out a proper 205T16 E2 once more! Scandinavian or French... The RS200 and 6R4 have been driven not so long ago, while the Peugeots were only seen till 1990...
It would be nice to see a Lancia Delta and maybe a Porsche, but I'm asking too much I know.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2926950)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
How many of the Group B cars still exist in their rallycross configurations? I suspect a lot will have been converted back to their original spec - they're worth more in rally trim.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 08:52 (Ref:2926966)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Mark

The PR stuff is easy to do for some, a lot of the teams used to do it.

I loved Lydden when they used to d a proper driver parade, the drivers on their bonnets etc, all helps with profile.

Some ERC guys are not bad at PR, but it seems lacking. I remember Kenny Hansen literally standing in the pits with his Sierra signing pictures, he had time for me back then, had a chat, trie his English and had a fan for life.

Also PEkka Rantanen did this and was nice, some were a little aloof. Gollop and Welch were brilliant at it, Thor Holm was great, but some were useless!

All it needs is for them to spend some time signing or making themselves avaliablke, very American but this is how you get fans buying into drivers, NASCAR done if for generations, and it works in NHRA, Outlaws, anything
Old 15 Jul 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2926990)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Some ERC guys are not bad at PR, but it seems lacking. I remember Kenny Hansen literally standing in the pits with his Sierra signing pictures, he had time for me back then, had a chat, trie his English and had a fan for life.
The driver that impressed me at the Lydden ERC round was Marc Laboulle - he was signing posters and chatting as best he could (his English is much better than my French!). He signed one for my son and took the trouble to actually write my sons name on their (having been given the translation of the spelling) - that made a massive difference, because it was made out to him he was really pleased with it and kept looking for Marc in the races. Koen Pauwels team scored some points with my son too by going and getting him some goodies from the back of the awning (I don't think they had a massive stockpile).

I thought Tanner Foust would have been signing piles of stuff but he seemed to be hiding in the depths of the OMSE awning whenever I was in the paddock (maybe it's personal ). I guess Gronholm will be a big draw and there will be an organised signing session?
Old 15 Jul 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2926998)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
One thing, I remember going to watch drag racing at Santa Pod years ago and outside most of the cars and teams was a small area selling merchandise, a bit like they do in some series now!
You know then that the money is going to the team aswell which helps
Old 15 Jul 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2927021)   #21
USRallycross
Racer

United States
I think a lot of the drivers at the ERC relied too much on the official signing session and that may explain why Tanner wasn't around as much. In the US he is absolutely incredible and just like Pastrana will sign until grabbed by his team and put in the car.

Marcus is a little more reserved but we have worked hard with him this year and he really appreciates the fans especially those who know him!

David and Marcus will have lots of goodies. Worth mentioning that in addition to the remarkable Binks family the person from Best Buy who handles all of this does it in her spare time. She had never been to an event before this year but after the first event she is absolutely hooked and does so much we can't think of her an event without her!

I have been to several NASCAR events this year to work with our PR team and to watch and learn how AJ goes about things. Not as available as I would like but all very slick. The more folksy open paddock of rallycross allows us to do so much more and take the good learning.

We will be working very hard that weekend and hope we don't let anyone down.

Mark
Old 15 Jul 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2927113)   #22
Kevin McCann
Rookie

England
Cranleigh Surrey
Kevin McCann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMadness View Post
Yes I hear James Harrold will be there in Peter's old Beetle.
NO Lawrence Gibson im afraid
Old 15 Jul 2011, 23:48 (Ref:2927262)   #23
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCann View Post

NO Lawrence Gibson im afraid
Thats a shame Kevin.

So you bringing out the new Scooby then?? debut event??
Old 16 Jul 2011, 06:33 (Ref:2927323)   #24
Kevin McCann
Rookie

England
Cranleigh Surrey
Kevin McCann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Scooby?

Quote:
Thats a shame Kevin.

I dont know what you mean John!!!! If i win the lottery or get some sponsorship it could be possible, lots of oil burning well past midnight! Still, never say never
Old 16 Jul 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2927327)   #25
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thats a shame Kevin.

New Scooby? Are there two new rallycross Scoobs in development then?...

...I look forward to seeing Simon Horton back in his new set of wheels at Lydden. Shame to read Gibson won't be there, I had been expecting his 6R4 and the Doran RS200 to be the first Group B cars confirmed.