Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 May 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2873392)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michael and Tomlinson leaving Williams, Coughlan hired

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91085

This doesn't sound like good news. I'm not sure if Mike Coughlan is the man who will be able to turn Williams' fortunes around.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 3 May 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2873400)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
To be fair i'm glad change has happened so soon.

The team's had an awful start. They're not much better off than the new teams and that is a complete joke.

Michael's had his time. Should be interesting to see what Coughlan can do.

Just look what effect James Key had almost instantaneously at Sauber. Watch this space!

Selby
Old 3 May 2011, 10:22 (Ref:2873401)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Oh I just read 'at the end of the season'...

Shame :P

Selby
Old 3 May 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2873412)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
To be fair i'm glad change has happened so soon.

The team's had an awful start. They're not much better off than the new teams and that is a complete joke.

Michael's had his time. Should be interesting to see what Coughlan can do.

Just look what effect James Key had almost instantaneously at Sauber. Watch this space!

Selby
It could be successfully argued that this is a few years too late

Sad for the pair, I am sure they have given their all.. but on track performances did not reflect the efforts
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 May 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2873415)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Oh I just read 'at the end of the season'...

Shame :P

Selby
I think it makes sense for Sam Michael to remain until the end of the season. It's his car and he's the man to develop it. Meanwhile, Coughlan can get on with starting work early on next year's car. It's a good chance for him to restore his rep post-2007.
Old 3 May 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2873417)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I think it makes sense for Sam Michael to remain until the end of the season. It's his car and he's the man to develop it. Meanwhile, Coughlan can get on with starting work early on next year's car. It's a good chance for him to restore his rep post-2007.
How do you develop a pile of junk? This season's Williams is even worse than previous seasons'. I wonder if a 'B' car is in their future?
Old 3 May 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2873422)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh yeah, even more instability by kicking out and bringing in new staff, just what Williams needed.
This ought to work.
Old 3 May 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2873423)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How do you develop a pile of junk? This season's Williams is even worse than previous seasons'. I wonder if a 'B' car is in their future?
Yes, it is junk, but what is the point in having the new team attempt to polish a turd (so to speak) when they can steal a march on their rivals by starting work on next year's car early?
Old 3 May 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2873425)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Yeh fair point - maybe a transitional period might work.

But again, looking at Sauber, it seemed to work ok for them.

Selby
Old 3 May 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2873427)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Oh yeah, even more instability by kicking out and bringing in new staff, just what Williams needed.
This ought to work.
So this team has worked well for the past ten years, has it?

There comes a point where change is absolutely necessary, and I think this is one of those times.

Selby
Old 3 May 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2873428)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Yes, it is junk, but what is the point in having the new team attempt to polish a turd (so to speak) when they can steal a march on their rivals by starting work on next year's car early?
Are next season's regulations cast in stone? Does Williams, or more importantly Mr Coughlan, have enough input from the Pirelli work so far and into the future to build a car that will work with the tyres?

This isnt a second coming... its fixing something that has been broken for a fair while unfortunately...
Old 3 May 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2873435)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I think 2012 is the same (as good as) as this year's regs, isn't it?

2013 is where it all goes crazy.

Selby
Old 3 May 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2873437)   #13
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To quote Star Wars: I have a bad feeling about this.
Old 3 May 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2873439)   #14
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
A change for the better? As a long time Williams fan I am glad that something is about to change, we will have to wait if the change will work out for them but it surely can't get any worse...
Old 3 May 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2873441)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I do understand people's pessimism, but as Williams fans, do you not think a change was absolutely necessary?

I'm genuinely intrigued.

Selby
Old 3 May 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2873443)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
I do understand people's pessimism, but as Williams fans, do you not think a change was absolutely necessary?

I'm genuinely intrigued.

Selby
It was necessary, but back in 2005 when Mr Webber had all that reliability rubbish going on... very easy to say now, after 10 years in the seat, that it didnt work

Wonder what the public investors think?
Old 3 May 2011, 11:14 (Ref:2873445)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Adam Parr Offered To Go Too!!

And Bye Bye to Patrick Head at Season's end
Old 3 May 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2873455)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Wow, it's all going on.

I still think this can only be a good thing, tbh. How could it get much worse?

Selby
Old 3 May 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2873483)   #19
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure if Coughlan will be able to hit the ground running. He has been out of the sport for four years now, and there has been a significant regulation change in that period and a new tyre supplier.

Unless he nicks it all from Ferrari again...
Old 3 May 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2873496)   #20
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post

Unless he nicks it all from Ferrari again...
If I were him, I would find a good hiding place behind a RedBull fridge before nicking ideas of these boys this season
Old 3 May 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2873507)   #21
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that some of these changes happen in conjunction with the likes of Porsche or somebody jumping in next year to give themselves a chance to start to gel ahead of a full tilt at a 2013 car.

Some engineering staff changes is great, but some funding and an announcement over drivers if Rubens is stepping aside.

I am not sure how special Coughlan is?!?!? I dont think he is in the same mould as Byrne, Newey etc
Old 3 May 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2873530)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think the loss of Patrick Head will be greater than that of Sam Michael. There are some people whose shoes are really difficult to fill and it's been apparent for a while that Michael was not the right man.
Old 3 May 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2873538)   #23
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I"m glad Mike Coughlan return to Formula One series, but is it unfortunate that Tomlinson and Michael leave the teams end of the season...

Coughlan career:
Quote:
1984-1990 > designer, chief designer > Lotus (F1)
1991 : chief designer > Benetton (F1)
1992-1993 : track engineer, ingénieur en chief > Tyrrell (F1)
1994-1996 : project engineer > Ferrari (F1)
1997 : deputy technical director > Arrows (F1)
1998-2002 : technical director > Arrows (F1)
2003-2007 : chief designer > McLaren (F1)
2008-2010 : ingénieur, led the Force Protection Ocelot project > Ricardo
2010 : chief designer > projet Stefan GP
2011 : director of vehicle design > Michael Waltrip Racing (NASCAR)
may 2011- : chief engineer > Williams (F1)
Old 3 May 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2873548)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
So this team has worked well for the past ten years, has it?

There comes a point where change is absolutely necessary, and I think this is one of those times.

Selby
Its exactly the lack of continuity that has plagued Williams the past 10 years, too many driver changes, too many engine supply changes, too many staff changes, etc, etc.
That coupled with ever decreasing funds are the main reasons why Williams is not a top outfit anymore.

I hope it works out for them, I really do.
But I fear its all too little, too late.

Seems like they're heading the way of Tyrrell, a slow slow death.
Old 3 May 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2873549)   #25
rayburn
Racer

United Kingdom
rayburn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 : chief designer > projet Stefan GP

That surely must be the high point of his career to date.