Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Dec 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3341668)   #1
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Robin Brooks - Longman short stroke 850 Mini?

Anyone got pictures/remember Robin Brookes (Brooks?) metallic green ultra lightweight Longman short-stroke 850cc Mini, a frequent front runner in the 850 free formula special saloon class in the 1970's?
Old 8 Dec 2013, 20:25 (Ref:3341698)   #2
historic racer
Rookie

historic racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a name I remember, the only Longman built engine to that spec I know of was used by Dineen and Crouch, although racing myself I assisted the well known David Enderby who was almost unbeatable in a similar spec Mini.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3341716)   #3
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by historic racer View Post
Not a name I remember, the only Longman built engine to that spec I know of was used by Dineen and Crouch, although racing myself I assisted the well known David Enderby who was almost unbeatable in a similar spec Mini.
Doc David Enderby was at one point sponsored in part by a firm called Pole Position racing, operated and owned by an old chum of mine, locally, called David Cannacot.

David C also used to race Cooper S. Indeed, celebrated by pedalling his super lightweight 'glass and alloy S backwards thru Paddock at Brands and finishing up both on the Evening News front page and in intensive care in a coma for two weeks.

I used to tune David Enderby's car on my rolling road, pre-race at one time, circa 1972/3.

I used to stock a wide range of Weber carb parts, then and also bore choke tubes to half millimetre stages in the machine shop to achieve ultimate Stoichiometric Ratios.

And, yes indeed, David E used to go very quickly in the then Osram trophy rounds.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3341735)   #4
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i read a lot of old special saloon results in autosport from the 60/70/80s and its not a name that springs to mind
Old 8 Dec 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3341758)   #5
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have checked the book 'Mini - The Racing Story' by John Baggott but no mention there either.......this would have been around 1971-74. I think Robin Brookes father prepared his race Mini....I remember they were often alongside my brothers race Mini (see below) in the paddock and always seemed to have one of the best prepared and quickest 850 Mini's. My brother Ray Bell worked with Paul Butler (DJ Bond & Automex Mini) at a BL Garage in Ewell....Paul later had his own garage 'Barwell Motors' in Chessington, Surrey and raced single seaters. My brothers tow car was a 1965 Mk1 Ford Cortina Estate which was metallic blue with white side stripes as it had previously been owned by DJ Bond. I think he must have bought it from them as I remember him removing the 'DJ Bond' signwriting on the sides.

Have just scanned some old 'period' album pictures which I thought I would share, of my older brothers (Ray Bell) 850cc Free Formula Special Saloon Mini at Silverstone & Brands Hatch in 1972, wheels were 6x10 Mambas + Dunlop and later Firestone 1B19 6.0x19.3x10 slicks with Dunlop CR65 Mk11 (320) 5.00L-10 used on S reverse rims for the wet. The body was an early 1961 Mk1 ex-Mini 7 shell bought for £25 and we 'updated' it cutting apertures for Mk2 rear lights!
Mini 7 ace Chris Tyrell modded the head at his Leatherhead, Surrey workshop along with my own modded road Mini's at the time.........in later years my younger brother Steve Bell went on to become Chris Tyrell's race mechanic and ultimately a Mini 7 champion himself in 1997, so this is where it all started!

Brands Hatch also in 1972 (The mis-matched blue fibreglass bootlid was a hasty replacement for some previous weekends damage!)

Below in paddock - 2nd December 1973 Brands Hatch

Last edited by mab01UK; 8 Dec 2013 at 23:39.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3376519)   #6
Tony Jolley
Rookie

Tony Jolley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin brooke

Hi I was racing with robin brooks and his dad who was both butchers. Both in the 850cc free formula special saloons in the early 1970s.we had great times racing at brands batch,thrust on,lydden hill and all South tracks.robins car had a special engine built by Richard long man which was the first short stroke 850 with. 850 block and 970 Cooper s crank thus giving a 846 cc ultra short stroke having the block shaved to the maximum. Also with Dave enderby in his lime green mini.spoke to David in 2014 and still misses the racing bug.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3380711)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Excellent stuff, thanks Tony and warm welcome!
Old 20 Mar 2014, 00:09 (Ref:3382073)   #8
mab01UK
Veteran

Hi Tony and thanks for the info.
Do you have any photos of Robin Brookes 850 Mini?
Old 14 Sep 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3453286)   #9
mab01UK
Veteran

Ouch!
These was taken by me in the Brands Hatch paddock (I think) in the late 1970's.
These very quick green Longman short-stroke 850cc Mini's were driven by Neil Dineen and Crouch.

Last edited by mab01UK; 14 Sep 2014 at 17:51.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3453970)   #10
kjw
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
kjw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden 1973. Ken Welch, Robin Brooks, (Pete sombody) Keith Padmore, Dave Foster. Lydden Regulars in 850 Special Saloons
Attached Thumbnails
Lydden Hill 1973.JPG  
Old 17 Sep 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3454495)   #11
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that we have a Ken Welch entered for the HRSR race at Brands on 27th September in a Mini Cooper 'S'. Is it the same person as this Lydden Hill 1973 racer?
Old 29 Sep 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3458717)   #12
wiho
Rookie

wiho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
patrick motors group car

I bought it about 15 years ago near Huddersfield , it stood in a shed ! but it missed the original engine ! I heard it was raced by bernsteine , the engine was a short stroke 850 , gearbox and transfer gear side case were made in Magnesium !
8 port with TJ fuel injection ! interesting was the fiberglass roof and the back panel was complete in alloy ! Would be nice if someone has some more informations about that car ! I have still that car , I also have an 8port head , but with short stroke 1299 S engine !
Attached Thumbnails
pmg.jpg   pmg2_0001.jpg   pmg2.jpg  

Old 11 Feb 2015, 23:04 (Ref:3504121)   #13
mab01UK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Jolley View Post
Hi I was racing with robin brooks and his dad who was both butchers. Both in the 850cc free formula special saloons in the early 1970s.we had great times racing at brands batch,thrust on,lydden hill and all South tracks.robins car had a special engine built by Richard long man which was the first short stroke 850 with. 850 block and 970 Cooper s crank thus giving a 846 cc ultra short stroke having the block shaved to the maximum. Also with Dave enderby in his lime green mini.spoke to David in 2014 and still misses the racing bug.

Robin Brookes de-seamed ultra lightweight Mini in the Paddock at Brands Hatch 17-9-1972
Video Here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDbwdKTAozc

Last edited by mab01UK; 11 Feb 2015 at 23:12.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 23:20 (Ref:3504128)   #14
mab01UK
Veteran

Patrick motors group car
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiho View Post
I bought it about 15 years ago near Huddersfield , it stood in a shed ! but it missed the original engine ! I heard it was raced by bernsteine , the engine was a short stroke 850 , gearbox and transfer gear side case were made in Magnesium !
8 port with TJ fuel injection ! interesting was the fiberglass roof and the back panel was complete in alloy ! Would be nice if someone has some more informations about that car ! I have still that car , I also have an 8port head , but with short stroke 1299 S engine !

I have the colour version of this old poster somewhere........will try to dig it out.

Video at Brands Hatch 17-9-1972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDbwdKTAozc
Old 19 Jan 2017, 05:41 (Ref:3703492)   #15
mike parker
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
mike parker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
short stroke 850 minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by historic racer View Post
Hi there
My name is Mike Parker. I was racing in the late 60's/ early 70's. Triplex, Osram GEC special saloon car chmpionships etc etc.The longman short stroke engine that was used by Neal Dineen and Peter Crouch was in fact my short stroke engine. It was built by Richerd Longman. It had a Gordon Allen billet steel crank, with from memory a 51mm stroke running on plus 100 thou cooper s bore. Unfortunately the engine did not work well so I blueprinted the camshafts (649's) I got a perfect camshaft on the sixth one and even then had to havr the keyway remachined to ensure the cam was perfectly timed . I also had Chris Tyrell do the head for me from memory it was 11cc. I also fitted electronic ignition. To cut a long story short the car was written off on the first lap of the championships paddock at Brands. The light weight shell was absolutely amazing. I had theshell but on a chassis rig and the front bulkhead raised 100mm which in effect lowered the car 100mm lower than any other car, the floor pan was removed and replaced by a SHS platform chassis clad in 26 g aluminium The rear subframe was removed and replaced with a rose jointed beam axle. The car had a 54 ton steel roll cage in it with side intrusion bars. You could lift the back of the car up with the driver in the car. It was a stunning lightweight car and would no doubt have been unbeatable . Regards Mike
Old 22 Jan 2017, 23:47 (Ref:3704346)   #16
mab01UK
Veteran

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your really interesting reply......would love to see some photos of your lightweight Mini racer if you still have any?
Regards, Martin
Old 14 Jan 2019, 18:10 (Ref:3876123)   #17
Norman Pierce
Rookie

Norman Pierce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike parker View Post
Hi there
My name is Mike Parker. I was racing in the late 60's/ early 70's. Triplex, Osram GEC special saloon car chmpionships etc etc.The longman short stroke engine that was used by Neal Dineen and Peter Crouch was in fact my short stroke engine. It was built by Richerd Longman. It had a Gordon Allen billet steel crank, with from memory a 51mm stroke running on plus 100 thou cooper s bore. Unfortunately the engine did not work well so I blueprinted the camshafts (649's) I got a perfect camshaft on the sixth one and even then had to havr the keyway remachined to ensure the cam was perfectly timed . I also had Chris Tyrell do the head for me from memory it was 11cc. I also fitted electronic ignition. To cut a long story short the car was written off on the first lap of the championships paddock at Brands. The light weight shell was absolutely amazing. I had theshell but on a chassis rig and the front bulkhead raised 100mm which in effect lowered the car 100mm lower than any other car, the floor pan was removed and replaced by a SHS platform chassis clad in 26 g aluminium The rear subframe was removed and replaced with a rose jointed beam axle. The car had a 54 ton steel roll cage in it with side intrusion bars. You could lift the back of the car up with the driver in the car. It was a stunning lightweight car and would no doubt have been unbeatable . Regards Mike
Hi just seen item, Ithink I sold 850cc mini to Mike Parker in 1970/71, it had a Allen short stroke crank that cost me 6 months wages(£459) 970 block, ex works BMC 8 port head with Lucas fuel injection plus usual straight cut gearbox and Salisbury diff, Iwent on to race Formula 3, also remember Tony Jolly plus A Graham Janzen who,s car was so quick in a straight line was the reason for building new car,
Old 21 Jan 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3877460)   #18
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you the Norman Pierce of Sparton?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 14:36 (Ref:3961019)   #19
JimboMr
Rookie

JimboMr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of a thread resurrection but I am the son of Neil Dineen and was doing a search for old photos for an upcoming birthday.

If anyone has any other photos of him or Pete Crouch and / or the car they would be most welcome.

Jim
Old 6 Mar 2020, 16:50 (Ref:3961979)   #20
mab01UK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboMr View Post
Bit of a thread resurrection but I am the son of Neil Dineen and was doing a search for old photos for an upcoming birthday.

If anyone has any other photos of him or Pete Crouch and / or the car they would be most welcome.

Jim

I have asked on the Mk1 Forum see below (you may have to register) and a link to 'Sporting Minis' below which may also help:-

Mk1 Forum:-
scroll down
http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10266&p=239612

Sporting Minis:-
https://en-gb.facebook.com/thesportingminis/