Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Apr 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3389396)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A question about technical rules

I have read that the "secret" of Mercedes engines is the fact that the turbocompressor is more apart from the exhaust system that in Renault's or Ferrari's engines, keeping the turbocompressor cooler and allowing more to enter the engine, offering a better performance.

The engineers at Renault and Ferrari are aware of this, but they cannont change their own motors because since February 28, the "rules are frozen". What happened on February 28, to "freeze" the rules?

My questions:
1)Why can't engineer modify engines AFTER the start of the season and
2) When will Ferrari and Renault be allowed to modify their engine to improve their motors?

Thanks!
Old 6 Apr 2014, 18:04 (Ref:3389413)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The engines were homologated for the season on that date.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3389420)   #3
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The main reasons for the lack of changes allowed is an attempt to cut costs and there are attempts being made to steer development in the direction of energy recovery rather than IC engines.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3389442)   #4
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
James Allen has written an article on this that is well worth reading if you're interested in the engine homologation.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/0...y-for-changes/
Old 6 Apr 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3389443)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe that both Ferrari and Renault became aware of the potential advantage in the way that Mercedes had designed their turbo-compressor plumbing quite early on in testing.

Ferrari responded by making some small changes, but couldn't completely copy the Mercedes' system because that would have involved too much re-configuration of the whole power-unit in time for the cut-off date at the end of February.

I understand that the situation at Renault was that they already had enough problems just getting the power-unit to operate, so a possible re-design of the layout was not even considered.

I am not certain about ScotsBrutesFan comment concerning homologation for just the year, when one is talking about changes that will improve performance. Although engines have to be homologated each season before the first race, I believe that the only alterations allowed are those that will improve reliability or reduce fuel consumption.

Having just read James Allen's article, it seems as though so small alterations to increase performance will be allowed for 2015 and 2016. I believe that development will cease after the beginning of the 2016 season.

So, I think that the engines you see now are basically the same that you will see for 4 or 5 years or until the FIA mandates a new power-unit.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 6 Apr 2014 at 19:40.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3389452)   #6
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks for the info, but...

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!

This means that there will be 3 championships: One for the two Mercedes, one for the Mercs powered cars, and another for the rest!

There should be a power unit upgrade allowed twice or trice a year.

People complain that cars are slow, but then, there can be no engine development! What a joke!

F1 is expensive for all the jet-setting going on!
Old 6 Apr 2014, 21:30 (Ref:3389469)   #7
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo View Post

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!

This means that there will be 3 championships: One for the two Mercedes, one for the Mercs powered cars, and another for the rest!

There should be a power unit upgrade allowed twice or trice a year.

People complain that cars are slow, but then, there can be no engine development! What a joke!

F1 is expensive for all the jet-setting going on!
Are you not aware that the previous engines were "frozen" from further development after they were introduced? This, like the present rules preventing upgrades is designed to keep costs escalating between engine regimes, and it was, if I remember correctly, allowing engine development during a fixed period that persuaded Honda to depart the last time.

I believe that one of the major reasons that Honda have agreed to return
is because they have been assured that the development of the power-units will be strictly controlled.

It is unfortunate that Renault's and Ferrari's power-units do not seem to be on par with Mercedes, but it may be that that might be more to do with the current packaging of the units rather than the power output capabilities - time will tell. However, all the power-unit providers had enough time to come up with the ultimate package, and, in fact, they were given an extra year to continue their development work as they were originally supposed to be introduced for the 2013 season.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 00:35 (Ref:3389568)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I am not certain about ScotsBrutesFan comment concerning homologation for just the year, when one is talking about changes that will improve performance. Although engines have to be homologated each season before the first race, I believe that the only alterations allowed are those that will improve reliability or reduce fuel consumption.
I said for the season, as I suspect (nothing specifically to base that on) that there will be a slight changes agreed for next season by teams and power plant providers, with new homologation before next season.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 10:22 (Ref:3390122)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo View Post

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!

I don't see how this can continue!