Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Dec 2002, 17:36 (Ref:446434)   #1
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR Rebranding?

I remember Dave Richards saying at Monza that The B.A.R team was going to be re-branded. (probably as Honda, although there was talk of the Lotus name coming back.)

Has anyone heard anymore news on this?
Old 9 Dec 2002, 17:39 (Ref:446436)   #2
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The name BAR will stay in 2003, but for 2004 it maybe changes (in Honda???)
Old 9 Dec 2002, 21:29 (Ref:446547)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
In 2004 maybe it changes to: "Anchor."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 21:31 (Ref:446549)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Silent W?

Old 9 Dec 2002, 22:00 (Ref:446580)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good garcon!
Old 9 Dec 2002, 22:06 (Ref:446588)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope not Lotus because it isn't Lotus.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 23:15 (Ref:446636)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not go back to calling it Tyrrell?
Old 9 Dec 2002, 23:34 (Ref:446644)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think they need to get away from their looser image, the name tyrell to me just conjours up images of failure and desperate times like in 1998, rather than their hay-day of the 70's.

I like the name "super-smashing F1 team"
Old 10 Dec 2002, 02:12 (Ref:446688)   #9
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why did people speculate of calling it Lotus?

its not! sure, it would get attention and therefor sponsorship, but would Honda want that, seeing as though they put all their eggs in one bad BAR basket only to have their cars called what they were not!?

Tom.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 02:36 (Ref:446701)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they will eventually just be called Honda.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 02:38 (Ref:446705)   #11
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I read it is going to be HONDA
Old 10 Dec 2002, 05:58 (Ref:446768)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda would be good! Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 09:07 (Ref:446813)   #13
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would they call it Honda since Prodrive is buying the company?
Lotus would make sound commercial sense and I think discussions have taken place with David Hunt.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 09:46 (Ref:446843)   #14
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Arrows II
Old 10 Dec 2002, 10:23 (Ref:446857)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They should be thinking of the future not the past.

And when the team bears no relation to the original team tehn what is the point. It isn't Tyrell and it certainly isn't Lotus. Why not call it ERA?

Prodrive or Honda it is.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 10:35 (Ref:446862)   #16
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ERA name is owned by Tiger Sports Cars.
The Lotus name is evocative and would help with:
Attracting sponsors
Attracting fans by building a brand, which BAR most certainly is not.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 10:37 (Ref:446864)   #17
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PRODRIVE is my suggestion ... but bringing back Lotus (thru a commercial deal with david Hunt) or even Brabham would be a very good marketing play.

Lotus still have a huge number of fans and commercially wise this could open the door to an improvement in brand recognition for the car manufacturer now owned by KIA.

Brabham would be nice for their past but not very good commercially wise.

Neverthless we still have one year ahead to speculate about the new BAR name ...
Old 10 Dec 2002, 11:08 (Ref:446874)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
While I agree that there are commercial reasons to bring back the Lotus name. What is the point - a cynical attempt to get some cash (although maybe Colin Chapman wasn't against such a cynical attempt ).

Call it was it is, not what it isn't!
Old 10 Dec 2002, 11:45 (Ref:446896)   #19
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Call it was it is, not what it isn't!
How about "washed-up/wanna-be Racing Team"
Old 10 Dec 2002, 12:04 (Ref:446907)   #20
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 stop being a sport a long time ago ... so whoever wants to be in the business must act in the most professional and profitable way.... or leave. But if they leave we will loose more competitors in our beloved circus !

And one thing i am sure is that Colin Chapman would prefer to see "his" Lotus name racing in F1 rather than being just used by some korean car company to produce small sports cars.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 14:27 (Ref:446984)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Would Colin like to see (a Japanese funded) BAR rebadged as Lotus! I'm not so sure. But it is just speculation.

That small Car Company is every bit still Lotus. They produce small fun cars that handle fantastically. They have some of the best engineers and designers in the world (they can even transform a Lada! - Top Gear last Sun night). Does anyone say that about BAR?

F1 business. As I said, I can see the commercial advantages, but that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea. There are also commercial cons too - will Honda get the coverage/recognition/credit it deserves if they badge it Lotus? But that is for the accountants/marketing people. Lotus F1 is dead. Leave it be.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 14:50 (Ref:446991)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure all the true Lotus fans will be gutted if BAR are renamed. There will be no connection between the two, none of the same people or facilities will be involved, and there is just no spiritual connection. Colin Chapman was an innovator, on both the technical and promotional sides. There won't be anyone else like him at the highest level, because of the sheer dominance of money.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 15:22 (Ref:447016)   #23
jawa
Racer

jawa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I KNOW what it was going to be called!!!
Old 10 Dec 2002, 21:53 (Ref:447276)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I too was about to suggest Prodrive. I remember some time ago Dave Richards saying to the press that he would love to see the Prodrive name in F1 someday...
Old 11 Dec 2002, 05:28 (Ref:447429)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GM owns Lotus, how could a Honda car be called Lotus? Not that GM has done anything with it!