Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 25 May 2003, 21:02 (Ref:609888)   #1
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knockhill turns into a Rallycross scrap heap!!

Knockhill turns into scrap heap:

Rob Gibsons, comeback lasted two laps in the first practice session before his engine expired ending the Metro drivers comeback before the first heats had begun.

Helmut Holfeld blew his engine in the Supercar A final

Mike Manning had terminal engine trouble in Heat 3(which put him out of the event). That was after Will Gollops front right suspension collapsed ripping off his front bumper and in turn causing major damage to his Ford Focus, in the process collecting Manning as both cars became entangled. Gollop just managed to repair the Focus in time for the A final.

In heat 3 John Cross hit the back of Lawrence Gibsons machines sending the Metro into a wild roll. The Metro was looking like a write off, but despite its crushed shell and missing front end (and front windscreen), Gibson taped up the machine and somehow managed to finish. The car looked like it may have reached the end of the road though.

Full pictures of the Metro "wreck" and how the video of the accident will follow later!

The Gibson accident also ended John Cross's weekend. Only 6 cars started the Supercar A final.

All videos, photos and reports will be online either later tonight and/or tommorow at www.rallycross.nl

What a days racing!!! And a large Scottish crowd.

Last edited by Peter S; 25 May 2003 at 21:06.
Old 25 May 2003, 22:18 (Ref:609952)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A sterling effort from all the team that worked on Lawrence Gibson's car. I was impressed in two instances - 1 that they managed to get it ready again and 2 that they were allowed that back out on the track. As I said in the other thread, I just had walked away before I heard an "ooooh" from the crowd and turned around to see a car with 4 wheels as it's roof!

I hope I've got soom nice piccies too - there were some great photo opportunities if you were prepared to walk over some rough grass! It did appear to be a decent sized crowd - any indication of the figure Peter ? My guess would be about 6000 or so. Rallycross has a lot of potential in Scotland if you ask me and I hope it comes back next year for an even bigger following. It's as cheap to get in to it as it is the club events (£10) and there was a brilliant offer in the Scottish Sun on Friday - present this paper and get in for free - providing you buy 1 ticket.

A rather sunburnt TL!
Old 25 May 2003, 23:15 (Ref:609983)   #3
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Gibson roll video online now. Camera stopped before the car stopped rolling due to excitement. After effects pictures will be online tommorow. As will the whole 50+ pictures and 6 videos.

I was on the pits when Gibsons car came back. The clerk of the course said do you want us to take it to the scrap heap for you. Gibson didnt take it to well and demanded the car went back to his awning. Despite his crushed shell and roof, no front bumper or window it is amazing what a sledge hammer and tape can do.

I am very very sunburnt too!!!

I must have walked about 4 miles today around the circuit about 7 times taking piccies in different spots.

entry fee is spot on and i estimated the crowd at around 6000+ to. There were quite a lot of cars and the infield was well busy.

No doubt rallycross will be back there next year. A superb event!!
Old 25 May 2003, 23:30 (Ref:609992)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They had some pretty sophisticated tools to get that thing back in shape...I stood and watched almost the whole repair job - it's amazing what they can do when the adrenalin's pumping...

I walked a lot today too! Didn't help when I discovered I'd left the film in the car and I was on the infield..d'oh!
Old 25 May 2003, 23:51 (Ref:609997)   #5
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
hehe!! There was a long queue just to get over the bridge at one stage!

The cars were awesome down the bottom of duffus dip! just a shame there is so many ups and downs that prohibit you from seeing all off the track!

To be honest Pat Doran deserved to win it going on his performances during the qualifying heats and the A final, but Carnegie just cleared off into the distance in the superfinal.......i couldnt belive how much speed he managed to find.
Old 26 May 2003, 00:02 (Ref:610007)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I was suprised with Carnegie's speed too. Glad too, cos there's something about Pat Doran I don't like - maybe it's his look or his motorhome - why does he need something that size!?
Old 26 May 2003, 10:33 (Ref:610284)   #7
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
His motorhome is cool. It is the one European Specification thing he does have!!

Pat Doran is great and superb character.....just needs and ERC spec machine now.

All videos and pictures are now online on www.rallycross.nl. Full Big report will go online in a hour when it is finished.
Old 26 May 2003, 10:58 (Ref:610291)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Can't seem to find them ?? Would have looked harder but off to watch the BTCC now..
Old 26 May 2003, 11:07 (Ref:610298)   #9
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Go to the news page online

then the first story is about gb champs

then click on link at bottom story
then a menu will appear saying, info, entry, report, pictures, videos

If not, Press the refresh button
Old 26 May 2003, 17:39 (Ref:610660)   #10
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got a good pic of L.Gibsons car. He was posing for photos with a fans little girl on the roofof his "modified" 6R4. Got one of Bellamy's peugeot too.
Got the sunburn. Who would have thought it at Knockhill.
Old 26 May 2003, 17:49 (Ref:610676)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Some fine pics there Peter. I hold hope some of my pics were good - they're off to the developers tomorrow and I'll get them online later in the week. I was trying a few experiments with my camera so a lot of them will be either hit or miss..
Old 26 May 2003, 23:10 (Ref:610943)   #12
Alpina
Veteran

Laurence Gibsons 6R4 just after the accident.
Attached Thumbnails
l.gibson02small.jpg  
Old 26 May 2003, 23:12 (Ref:610946)   #13
Alpina
Veteran

bellamy's car after the superfinal accident.
Attached Thumbnails
bellamysmall.jpg  
Old 26 May 2003, 23:14 (Ref:610947)   #14
Alpina
Veteran

And the winner.
Attached Thumbnails
carnegie01small.jpg  
Old 26 May 2003, 23:23 (Ref:610958)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
A rather battered looking 205 but it looks repairable though ?

In your pic of the work on Lawrence Gibson's car - I actually remember that guy working on the roof like that - I must have been hell of a close to you as I was stood round the side of that little building.
Old 26 May 2003, 23:34 (Ref:610971)   #16
Alpina
Veteran

Scary..... Actually I am kind of distinctive as I have red hair. Was wearing a green jacket so you had your chance
Old 29 May 2003, 22:26 (Ref:614163)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Here's the 6R4 on the recovery truck, looking worse for wear!