Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 19 Feb 2018, 14:38 (Ref:3802411)   #26
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Why was the yellow thrown at lap 189/190. Was it Nascar's usual trick to close up the field or was it something genuine?
This race not shown on UK television.
I caught it by accident on UK TV last night: it was showing on FreeSports.

(Sorry, don't know the cause of the yellow!)
Old 19 Feb 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3802432)   #27
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Typical NASCAR restrictor plate race where 3/4 of the field gets crashed out and the winner of the big race is whoever lucks out and gets a run on the last lap after the carnage clears.

This has been going on since 1988 but has got progressively worse now, especially with all the blocking going on. The past years have shown us that NASCAR doesn't care though if every car in the race crashes and cars get knocked up into the fence running in a big wadded up pack. As long as they don't go over 200mph everything's fine.
Old 19 Feb 2018, 22:38 (Ref:3802493)   #28
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why was the yellow thrown at lap 189/190. Was it Nascar's usual trick to close up the field or was it something genuine?
This race not shown on UK television.
This was on Freesports channel on SKY live
also on Premiersports channel (subsciption) brilliant to watch live.
A bundle more excitement than any other motorsport, These guys make F1 drivers look like Miss Daisey.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 10:19 (Ref:3802591)   #29
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow... just, wow:
Quote:
Dillon said he had no other option than to push Almirola.

"I guess I could have lifted and given it to him," he said. "I guess that was my other option, give up a Daytona 500 ring that I'm wearing.

"I'm glad he's not mad. If he needs to do it to me at Talladega for everybody to feel good, I've got a Daytona 500 championship trophy, ring, whatever.

"I don't care. I've got the #3 back in victory lane at Daytona [20 years after Dale Earnhardt's victory with the same number]. It feels pretty good."
(From Autosport article)

Good thing Dillon doesn't make himself sound like a smug jerk or anything.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3802677)   #30
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post
This was on Freesports channel on SKY live
also on Premiersports channel (subsciption) brilliant to watch live.
A bundle more excitement than any other motorsport, These guys make F1 drivers look like Miss Daisey.
Thanks. The cause of the yellow on lap 189/190?
Old 20 Feb 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3802690)   #31
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I have to say Dillon is channelin' a little of Dale Sr who could be quite ruthless and uncompromising in his time.

Dillon, however, who makes the point that he says his prayers every night and is a lovely innocent little flower, is coming out with a shtick that's a bit of obnoxious for my liking.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3802692)   #32
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks. The cause of the yellow on lap 189/190?
Probably the one for William Byron in the #24 spinning on his own coming out of turn 4. I think he cut a tire due to earlier damage to the car.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3802719)   #33
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Thanks, Rustyfan. Was any other car involved or did he hit the wall or stop on track? Or was it just Nascar's way of closing the field up at the expense of a deserving leader, Ryan Blaney?
Old 20 Feb 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3802725)   #34
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I remember seeing a shot of tire bits on the track. I believe it was that incident.

Are these cars now running titanium skid blocks?
Old 20 Feb 2018, 20:01 (Ref:3802756)   #35
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Thanks, Rustyfan. Was any other car involved or did he hit the wall or stop on track? Or was it just Nascar's way of closing the field up at the expense of a deserving leader, Ryan Blaney?
He blew a tire and spun on his own. Not sure how much debris was put down but he stopped at the entrance to pit road. Since it took a few moments for him to get going I don't have a problem with the call by NASCAR - better to be safe than sorry; had someone else spun or gotten punted off onto pit road (like Kahne earlier in the race) with Byron sitting there we could've had a nasty incident.

Video of Byron's spin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szxjINPCZNo
Old 20 Feb 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3802765)   #36
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Thanks for the YouTube link. Not sure the Byron car was actually on pit road but for sure Nascar wasn't going to miss the opportunity to throw a caution at that point.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3803032)   #37
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
There was something on track after Byron span. To me it looked like bits of his right rear which blew causing the spin. And it likely blew because the earlier accident that caused right side body damage wasn't fixed up too good...

Of course if NASCAR didn't have its dumb time restriction on repairing accident damage then the guys would likely have done a better job and we may not have had bodywork rubbing the tyre causing it to fail.

NASCAR really does seem to have the dumbest rule writers in motorsport right now.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 22:23 (Ref:3803034)   #38
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Channel 95 on Freeview in UK by the way: they've got live xfinity and a Cup highlights show mid week.

Cup Daytona race was a one off live race AFAIK.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 22:26 (Ref:3803037)   #39
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
As for Dillon wrecking Amirola that stank; reminded me of Kesolowsie punting Carl Edwards at 'dega.

Carl came out on top in my books, so maybe we'll see the 10 punt Dillon when he least expects it.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 02:28 (Ref:3803061)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I heard this on an Atlanta sports radio station today, that the ratings for the race were possibly the worst since they did flag to flag coverage in 1979.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b967740a8914

That's very poor considering their campaign to have a "Daytona Day", which I use to host and participate in. We'd invite anyone over for a reason to have a "Sunday Funday", with people that didn't even care. Draw names from a hat, make a game out of it and drink, we had a ball. Now, no one knows it's on.

Very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I have to say Dillon is channelin' a little of Dale Sr who could be quite ruthless and uncompromising in his time.

Dillon, however, who makes the point that he says his prayers every night and is a lovely innocent little flower, is coming out with a shtick that's a bit of obnoxious for my liking.
Yeah, that was the straw for me, not that I was already over it. Just a very unlikable chap, imho. Then again, it works, b/c I never liked Dale Sr.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3803207)   #41
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I guess I could have lifted and given it to him. I guess that was my other option, give up a Daytona 500 ring that I'm wearing

I don't care. I've got the #3 back in victory lane at Daytona
Now that's an Intimidator.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 16:29 (Ref:3803210)   #42
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018...s-lowest-ever/
Old 25 Feb 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3803761)   #43
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reminder, due to the threat of rain in the Atlanta Area today, the start of the Cup race has been moved up one hour, to 1:16 pm, Eastern Standard Time. Just thought Y'all would want to know.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3803819)   #44
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't think that's gonna help, how many years in a row has the spring race been a rainy day? Feels like it's always been a rainy day
Old 25 Feb 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3803835)   #45
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure when a race at AMS was "moved up" to 1........

They may be able to get this in today but it will be a night race.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 19:02 (Ref:3803849)   #46
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Dillon is such a liar. The side angle clearly shows he wasn't being pushed when he put the #10 in the wall - and if he had actually had "a huge momentum" he would've hit the #10 earlier than that. He should just admit he dumped Almirola, plain and simple.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3803869)   #47
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Not sure when a race at AMS was "moved up" to 1........

They may be able to get this in today but it will be a night race.
I stand corrected. Mother nature, you crafty girl. Looks like they're about get rolling....
Old 25 Feb 2018, 23:44 (Ref:3803921)   #48
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Wow, I tuned in to see a car that 'done blowed up' in a big way!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 22:46 (Ref:3804157)   #49
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
yes, Atlanta has always been a track that has been plagued by rainy weather. March/Atlanta 5oo has had quite a few, but back in the day, when they ran the Dixie 500, in June, that one was the worse of all for rainouts.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 00:42 (Ref:3805801)   #50
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Well, Las Vegas is over. Not much to be said about this race. Kevin spent most of the day in a different zip code that the rest of the drivers in the race. It appeared that Kyle Busch might make it a run in the closing laps, but in the end it really wasn't close. Busch couldn't get any closer that about three seconds back. Harvick and his team appear to have done their homework in the off-season. If Vegas and Atlanta are any indication, he'll dominate the three smith Charlotte clones and the D shaped 1 1/2 milers this season.