Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score does the 2018 Singapore Grand Prix get from you?
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 0 0%
7 5 10.64%
6 5 10.64%
5 3 6.38%
4 8 17.02%
3 11 23.40%
2 2 4.26%
1 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Sep 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3851110)   #26
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Yup! And me and chilli just seem to wind in the same place everytime. I'd have to start questioning myself if I didn't ...
haha its uncanny right!

separated at birth my friend!
Old 17 Sep 2018, 20:40 (Ref:3851135)   #27
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
haha its uncanny right!

separated at birth my friend!
That or you're spying on me...
Old 18 Sep 2018, 01:06 (Ref:3851172)   #28
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
If only someone could think of a way to un-invent downforce.

I would still love to see all aerofoil sections banned and something regulated into the floor to totally negate ground-effect. Sadly I know it won't happen and the rule-makers will just tinker around the edges of the problem.
'Don't know about unscrambling the eggs, but, mandated super hard tires would negate the downforce. No pit stops required (as in days of yore), four wheel drifts, opposite lock, and longer braking distances would result. 'Ain't gonna happen either, I'm afraid.

P.S. Can we reinstate manual gearboxes while we're at it? I know....never happen.

jimclark
Old 18 Sep 2018, 04:15 (Ref:3851180)   #29
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
7. Would have been less without Perez and Sergey. Would of been nice to have seen Alonso and Ricardo some time during the broadcast.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 02:20 (Ref:3851358)   #30
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
deletion

Last edited by jimclark; 19 Sep 2018 at 02:32. Reason: 'T'was just a test. 'Thought I could delete.

jimclark
Old 19 Sep 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3851409)   #31
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Yes, everything at Goodwood is good to watch. If only someone could think of a way to un-invent downforce.
Dear lord will this stupid myth never go away
Old 19 Sep 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3851425)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Or at least make it more controlled
Old 19 Sep 2018, 13:58 (Ref:3851433)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Dear lord will this stupid myth never go away
No. it's true, Goodwood is great to watch.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3851442)   #34
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Or at least make it more controlled
Yes, as in post #28. I wasn't kidding....

Quote:
Yes, everything at Goodwood is good to watch. If only someone could think of a way to un-invent downforce.

I would still love to see all aerofoil sections banned and something regulated into the floor to totally negate ground-effect. Sadly I know it won't happen and the rule-makers will just tinker around the edges of the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
'Don't know about unscrambling the eggs, but, mandated super hard tires would negate the downforce. No pit stops required (as in days of yore), four wheel drifts, opposite lock, and longer braking distances would result. 'Ain't gonna happen either, I'm afraid.

P.S. Can we reinstate manual gearboxes while we're at it? I know....'never happen.

Last edited by jimclark; 19 Sep 2018 at 16:25.

jimclark
Old 20 Sep 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3851581)   #35
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"Lewis simply controlled the pace."

Simply? That's fantastic to watch. One of the best, in one of the best, doing the best. To witness excellence does not necessarily mean excitement.
Completely disagree. I watch racing to be excited. Seeing top drivers go head to head in the world's most sophisticated motors is what drives me to the armchair several Sundays every year. But seeing one of those drivers control the pace with ease while the rest of the field follow around in suit for the most part is totally boring. I watched the BTCC on the same day and was on the edge of my seat throughout. Good action. Without any action the sport is nothing. At least to me. If you enjoy watching a formation of no overtaking or battling then be my guest but I fell asleep.
Old 20 Sep 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3851587)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Paddy View Post
Completely disagree. I watch racing to be excited. Seeing top drivers go head to head in the world's most sophisticated motors is what drives me to the armchair several Sundays every year. But seeing one of those drivers control the pace with ease while the rest of the field follow around in suit for the most part is totally boring. .....
A voice of reason in a desert of hyperbole.
Old 20 Sep 2018, 14:45 (Ref:3851612)   #37
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lewis was brilliant, as was Max. Vettell has made too many mistakes this year and last in a car that deserves better. Reading the rest of Paddy's post, I can see how BTCC is "entertainment" but, to me, it looks like 20 odd "Checos" trying to nerf their opponents off the track.
Old 20 Sep 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3851641)   #38
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Completely disagree. I watch racing to be excited. Seeing top drivers go head to head in the world's most sophisticated motors is what drives me to the armchair several Sundays every year. But seeing one of those drivers control the pace with ease while the rest of the field follow around in suit for the most part is totally boring. I watched the BTCC on the same day and was on the edge of my seat throughout. Good action. Without any action the sport is nothing. At least to me. If you enjoy watching a formation of no overtaking or battling then be my guest but I fell asleep.If you enjoy watching a formation of no overtaking or battling then be my guest but I fell asleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
A voice of reason in a desert of hyperbole.
Over here we have IndyCar (identical chassis, bodies and choice of two engines; NASCAR pretty much the same cars, 3 engines);, and IMSA (sportscars with the obligatory BoPing). 'Very close "racing" but it damned well better be since innovation is disallowed. I know you've got the FIA/WEC with BoPing ('don't know what else). Doesn't that suit your craving for "scripted" excitement?

Expecting "the world's most sophisticated motors is what drives me to the armchair" to be close is shear folly unless you restrict that sophistication out of them to put on a show for you. It's already bad enough that one in pursuit is allowed, simply put, to open his wing, and the pursued may not. May as well go watch some more fiction in a theatre, no?

"Without any action the sport is nothing." I've been following for fifty years+ and know how close the races were prior (more finishers now on the lead lap than there were finishers;, many times not so long ago the cars were spread out by laps) and I've enjoyed. And lookee here....the sport is still here so I guess it ain't "nothing". Any more choreographing it will be nothing compared to what it was, showcase for, as you stated, the most sophisticated racing machines with the best teams and drivers performing on the real stage...not a scripted one. Again, as you say, at least to me.

"If you enjoy watching a formation of no overtaking or battling then be my guest but I fell asleep."
'Sorry to hear you fell asleep because you don't appreciate the excellence that we get to witness so many Sundays a year. When the bar is lowered for your excitement, I'll be sad that it's gone, but, at least, I will be able to sleep later on Sunday mornings as I won't be watching, as I don't IndyCar or NASCAR and rarely IMSA.

jimclark
Old 20 Sep 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3851659)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
'Sorry to hear you fell asleep because you don't appreciate the excellence that we get to witness so many Sundays a year. When the bar is lowered for your excitement, I'll be sad that it's gone, but, at least, I will be able to sleep later on Sunday mornings as I won't be watching, as I don't IndyCar or NASCAR and rarely IMSA.
That's the problem though JC - we don't all have the same definition of excellence. If I were aesthetically minded, I could rate each race a 9 or 10 as all of the cars are lovely pretty colours and are beautifully clean.....
Old 20 Sep 2018, 21:43 (Ref:3851667)   #40
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well if they had the ability to follow closer and therefore have a better chance of overtaking, we would be happier
Old 20 Sep 2018, 22:27 (Ref:3851675)   #41
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That's the problem though JC - we don't all have the same definition of excellence. If I were aesthetically minded, I could rate each race a 9 or 10 as all of the cars are lovely pretty colours and are beautifully clean.....
Understood. 'Why I specified exactly what I enjoy about what's left of F1. And why I addressed 52Paddy's supposed appreciation of "the world's most sophisticated motors" and what will happen to it (like NASCAR, Indycar, and sportscars) when you amend (script?) rules to "produce" more "exciting" races. It will be the end of the premise itself, thus it won't be the pinnacle any longer.
'Sorry, one last time, my passion for the sport (any venue) is the observation and learning about the best, producing and competing with the best, not just to watch an exciting show week in and week out. If that's what one defines as excellence, the series I mentioned exist for those that do. Leveling the playing field just for entertainment becomes meaningless regarding the excellence of design, fabrication and development of "the world's most sophisticated motors", no? Again, I'd rather just watch a good movie, knowing it's just fiction.

I'm in favour of "to each his own". And also realize what "will be will be"...and see what's happening to the very best. Soon, "trophies to every one" for putting on such a great "show".

'Just my opine and reason for such.

P.S. I thank God that I was born in time to see the real thing.
Attached Thumbnails
thatsallfolkx.png  

jimclark
Old 21 Sep 2018, 00:01 (Ref:3851687)   #42
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
....it won't be the pinnacle any longer.

'Sorry, one last time, my passion for the sport (any venue) is the observation and learning about the best, producing and competing with the best, not just to watch an exciting show week in and week out. If that's what one defines as excellence, the series I mentioned exist for those that do. Leveling the playing field just for entertainment becomes meaningless regarding the excellence of design, fabrication and development of "the world's most sophisticated motors", no? Again, I'd rather just watch a good movie, knowing it's just fiction.

P.S. I thank God that I was born in time to see the real thing.
How can you say that you are watching the pinnacle of motorsport when the cars have been so tightly specified already and the whole formula has been distorted to allow for a specific version of battery hybrid technology to be competitive? The weight of the cars has been massively increased to accommodate the inefficient hybrid system, the axle weights are also set, the hybrid tech you are allowed to run is tightly specified and highly secretive, for all we or any other competitor knows Charlie could be receiving a payment to allow Mercedes to run a two litre engine, so how do we know we are watching the pinnacle of anything?

P.S. I believe the real development has been in the ICE and its fuel use, the hybrid system is just marketing ballast.

P.S. I thank God that I was born in time to see the real thing. :

Me too! Isn't that what 52Paddy is actually trying to champion?

MotoGP is currently very good racing and certainly the cutting edge of motorcycle tech.

Last edited by wnut; 21 Sep 2018 at 00:08.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 00:57 (Ref:3851690)   #43
jimclark
Veteran

United States
the previous part of your post I agree with. The pinnacle is being dismantled to my chagrin to suit the masses for and "exciting" "show".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

P.S. I thank God that I was born in time to see the real thing. :

Me too! Isn't that what 52Paddy is actually trying to champion?
I believe not. If I'm mistaken, then so be it. That is not what I surmised from the following. In the past, the fields were much further apart (except those rare, and very valuable occurances....oh....let's say Monza, 1971 (for the uninitiated, Peter Gethin, Ronnie Peterson, Francois Cevert, Mike Hailwood, and Howden Ganley crossed the line with only .61 secs. 1st to 5th) which would not please him in the least.

Quote:
Completely disagree. I watch racing to be excited. Seeing top drivers go head to head in the world's most sophisticated motors is what drives me to the armchair several Sundays every year. But seeing one of those drivers control the pace with ease while the rest of the field follow around in suit for the most part is totally boring. I watched the BTCC on the same day and was on the edge of my seat throughout. Good action. Without any action the sport is nothing. At least to me. If you enjoy watching a formation of no overtaking or battling then be my guest but I fell asleep.
I didn't see "one of those drivers control the pace with ease while the rest of the field follow around in "suit". First, Lewis's drive "with ease" is pure ignorance of what it takes to execute a great strategy, whilst negotiating the course.

With all due respect Paddy, have you driven a race car, any race car, even a kart, for that matter, in anger? (If you haven't , I suggest you do so, just once, for a different point of view) You would think...nay...know....otherwise if you have. And trust me, the rest of the field was not "following around in suit". Again, you would know otherwise. They're all out there doing their damnedest whilst in pursuit.
No, not boring to me at all as I know all the teams are busting their nuts all the time and that is exciting to me. Any thing more is icing on the cake....

Last edited by jimclark; 21 Sep 2018 at 01:05.

jimclark
Old 21 Sep 2018, 01:23 (Ref:3851696)   #44
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Jim, you do know that Lewis was lapping at 12 secs off his pole time at stages in the race. You could argue that the opposition should step up, indeed they should, but that is just touring around not racing.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 01:56 (Ref:3851698)   #45
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Jim, you do know that Lewis was lapping at 12 secs off his pole time at stages in the race. You could argue that the opposition should step up, indeed they should, but that is just touring around not racing.
I did not know that. As you say, 'makes me curious why no one passed him then...
And no that's not "touring around". It's not that easy to remain focused and "pushing the right buttons" whilst out of normal rhythm.

jimclark
Old 21 Sep 2018, 05:17 (Ref:3851715)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Coming from the same time zone in history as JC and as a regular competitor in historics I an thoroughly disappointed with the current show. Yes 12secs a lap slower than pole time although the gap was reduced later in the parade.

When I could watch drivers working the wheel and wringing every drop of performance from a car then it didn't matter how far ahead or behind they were. Now with cars running on rails and DRS etc. It has to be special to gain a good score. This was definitely not special.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 05:38 (Ref:3851718)   #47
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed, Singapore was a total snoozefest.
Having said that, Ricciardo's drive in Monaco, winning by driving slow due to his engine issue was enthralling. But that's not due to the lap times, that's more the fact he was struggling with his ailing car.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 10:25 (Ref:3851761)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
This is what I said about Monaco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It's a spectacle and one that has to be witnessed in the flesh. Watching it on TV was tedium personified. However I gave it three. The exciting bit was whether the Honey-badger would actually survive.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3851812)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

Let’s just go back to simple rules, it would make it easier
Old 21 Sep 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3851848)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Let’s just go back to simple rules, it would make it easier
How simple?