Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2854421)   #26
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is 1 - nil to Petrov so far. Whether or not Hedfield's experience will pay off over the season, we'll have to wait and see.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2854450)   #27
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
this, basically. it's team kubica, the team in its various guises has always been the sort of team that requires a figurehead driver rather than two cooperating teammates.

controversial viewpoint ahead: i know they really miss kubica but i thought it was a bit cruel to be waving around posters saying how much they miss kubica when petrov had just done such a quality job to finish third. it was petrov's moment for delivering on the promise and the hard work over the winter, and manning up when required when kubica was injured. i know how important kubica is and how terrible it was for him to be injured and we all wish him a speedy recovery but...
Im with you on that. Kubica received more "get well soon" messages (mainly in Polish) from litteraly all the drivers, all the teams and all the fans than he cares to remember probably. There was/is certainly a time and place for those messages, but it was hardly too encouraging for Vitaly to see even after driving his ass off, that was all what team-workers cared about.

I feel Schumacher did a tad bit more for Ferrari than Kubica did for Renault and he actually injured himself racing for the team, racing for the championship (not driving rally cars for pleasure). The team still got on with it, focused 100% on giving Irvine the best chance to pull it and you didnt see "get well soon" flags waving anytime Irvine hit the podium.

Everyone that has a functioning heart will wish Kubica all the best but the way it was done was just out of place I thought.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2854492)   #28
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to say I felt a little sorry for Petrov when after the race he and Boullier were intereviewed by BBC, and Jake Humphrey congratulated Petrov, then turned to Boullier and was like Imagine what Kubica could've done today... I was just sat there thinking Really?? You know Petrov's still stood there right?

Anyway, credit to Boullier, he said he didn't think Kubica would've necessarily beaten Petrov today with how well the Russian drove.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2854504)   #29
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post

Anyway, credit to Boullier, he said he didn't think Kubica would've necessarily beaten Petrov today with how well the Russian drove.

And that was the sensible thing to reckon as well. Petrov did beat Kubica in Hungary and Abu Dhabi last year and there was absolutely nothing to suggest that he drove any worst than he did at those races... so what sort of question is that (apart from being insulting to Petrov, it doesnt make any sense either)
Old 27 Mar 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2854512)   #30
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Vitaly did an outstanding job all weekend. Hes come along so much since mid season last year when it was pretty much a given that he'd bin it at some point. But he had several races where he was up there. Iirc he was ahead of Kubica in Korea before slamming it into the wall.

He always seems to 'race' well as opposed to quali. Im so glad he was kept on for this year. Most teams would of sacked a driver who ran up such a high repair bill, fair play to the team for sticking with him. obviously they know how well hes doing from the inside and not from a media point of view.

Im shocked he wasnt given more credit on scoring his first podium. Normally there is a big media who-ha when someone does that. Suppose the general feeling is hes only there because of sponsors and got lucky in a car that Kubica would of walked the race in. Fact is he just done a good job. Hungary and Abu Dhabi showed it last year.

Heidfeld had a bad weekend, lots of problems so its too early to tell, I expect him to have some decent runs tho but going by today it could be closer than we all expected this year
Old 27 Mar 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2854525)   #31
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Heidfeld had car damage in the race and a KERS problem in qualifying, so let's not be too hard on him.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...ted-by-damage/
Well spotted and posted. People miss things like that and can jump to erroneous conclusions, myself included.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 01:13 (Ref:2854619)   #32
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know the details, but every time Heidfeld's car came past it sounded different... and by different, I mean not a picture of health.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2854620)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Well spotted and posted. People miss things like that and can jump to erroneous conclusions, myself included.
Australian Grand Prix sessions
P1 - Heidfeld P12, Petrov P10 Here
P2 - Heidfeld P13, Petrov P12 Here
P3 - Heidfeld P9, Petrov P5 Here
Q - Heidfeld P18, Petrov P6 Here
R - Heidfeld P12, Petrov P3 Here

Mr Petrov didnt finish one session in Melbourne behind Mr Heidfeld....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Mar 2011, 07:40 (Ref:2854671)   #34
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
OWNED!
Old 28 Mar 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2855015)   #35
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
Old 28 Mar 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2855021)   #36
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'll say one thing for Heidfeld, he looks cool as flip in that lid with that livery.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 22:54 (Ref:2855133)   #37
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'll say one thing for Heidfeld, he looks cool as flip in that lid with that livery.
Agreed!
Old 29 Mar 2011, 01:35 (Ref:2855161)   #38
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
x3!

--

the debrief from the weekend st surely be that heidfeld had a few issues and didnt slot in straight away to great form, hampered a bit by being new in the team and by some mechanical issues... so thereby underperformed against his car's potential - which whilst not ideal, is hardly a crime against motor racing.

Petrov on the other hand had a cracking weekend. He showed good pace last year, and as others have mentioned, now is showing strong consistency and composure. so full credit to him.

i think it may be a trend for the future season that petrov shows to be quicker on more occasions, but heidfeld will have his own highlight races, and after the plusses and minuses i dont see them being drastically apart at seasons end...
Old 29 Mar 2011, 02:23 (Ref:2855175)   #39
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect that Petrov is going to outrace Heidfeld all season, but it's too early to judge yet

Last edited by cmotd; 29 Mar 2011 at 02:32.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2855337)   #40
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotd View Post
I suspect that Petrov is going to outrace Heidfeld all season, but it's too early to judge yet
Based on their careers to date and general level of performance in an F1 car, I would find that highly surprising.

For Petrov to suddenly jump to this level of performance was amazing, I would rather wait and see what happens over the first few rounds and for Nick to have a trouble free weekend before calling this one!
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2855340)   #41
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure that Petrov will have more accidents than Nick, but i'd have thought over the course of the season that Vitaly will haul in more points and get the more headline-grabbing results.

Selby
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2855355)   #42
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It's amazing what one good drive can do for the public's perception of a driver isn't it? 6 months ago we'd have been talking about whether Petrov should lose his seat. Now we're debating whether Heidfeld and Kubica are fit to lick the brake-dust off his Alpinestars.

Last edited by Super Hans; 29 Mar 2011 at 12:19.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2855359)   #43
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It is...

I was one of those who was debating why they kept him on, admittedly.

But confidence in a funny old thing, isn't it? I'm pretty sure you (at least vaguely) follow English football, Hans. Look at Gareth Bale. Showed a little promise, then didn't provide, nearly ended up at Nottingham Forest, then bang, a run of confidence, attention, positive feedback, and suddenly Barcelona are interested and Capello rekons he is one of the World's best.

I can't help but have a feeling that Petrov might try and embrace this opportunity. Heidfeld was clearly put in to replace Robert, not Vitaly replacing Robert and Nick replacing Vitaly. He received alot of (well deserved) praise for the way he battled with Alonso under pressure in Abu Dhabi, and he's carried that over, along with this new-found sense of responsibility and opportunity, and produced a faultless opening race.

Now it'll be very interesting to see how the season unfolds

Selby
Old 29 Mar 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2855660)   #44
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I'm sure that Petrov will have more accidents than Nick, but i'd have thought over the course of the season that Vitaly will haul in more points and get the more headline-grabbing results.

Selby
Surely that must mean that you think that Vitaly would haul in more points than Kubica too. Given the fact that Heidfeld hauled in more points than Kubica in 2006, 2007, and 2009 with 2008 being the only year that he outscored Nick.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2855843)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always kept the faith with Petrov. Just saying.

The Renault management were pretty arsey at times last season with him. What happened to letting guys who show potential learn their trade and make the odd mistake.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2855849)   #46
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They were a bit, but it's good they at least stuck with him because quite a few teams wouldn't have.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2855911)   #47
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I always kept the faith with Petrov. Just saying.

The Renault management were pretty arsey at times last season with him. What happened to letting guys who show potential learn their trade and make the odd mistake.
Sad fact of modern day F1 isn't it. I'm sure the money that Petrov bought in helped him keep his seat last year, but occasional good performances during last season, a great driver at Abu Dhabi followed by last sunday proved his talent.

Good on him and good on Renault.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 14:08 (Ref:2855916)   #48
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by schead View Post
Surely that must mean that you think that Vitaly would haul in more points than Kubica too. Given the fact that Heidfeld hauled in more points than Kubica in 2006, 2007, and 2009 with 2008 being the only year that he outscored Nick.
Nope - You missed my bit about 'confidence is a funny thing...'

Selby
Old 30 Mar 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2855962)   #49
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Sad fact of modern day F1 isn't it. I'm sure the money that Petrov bought in helped him keep his seat last year, but occasional good performances during last season, a great driver at Abu Dhabi followed by last sunday proved his talent.

Good on him and good on Renault.
Yeah but you raise just the right point V. Not ignoring the fact that it soooo hard to do well straight off the bast these days in an F1 car, you would have to say that on the basis of his opening season performances (not that brill bar Malaysia, Hungary qual and the last race holding off Alonso) and if they hadn't needed the cash, he rightly would've been out on his ear.

I'm all for giving drivers a chance as long as they put in the performances and as long as the team gives them the car to show it.

Those 2 things, often crucial to a drivers performance level don't very often go hand in hand.

Maybe the team are doing that now
Old 30 Mar 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2856002)   #50
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yeah but you raise just the right point V. Not ignoring the fact that it soooo hard to do well straight off the bast these days in an F1 car, you would have to say that on the basis of his opening season performances (not that brill bar Malaysia, Hungary qual and the last race holding off Alonso) and if they hadn't needed the cash, he rightly would've been out on his ear.

I'm all for giving drivers a chance as long as they put in the performances and as long as the team gives them the car to show it.

Those 2 things, often crucial to a drivers performance level don't very often go hand in hand.

Maybe the team are doing that now
Renault gave Piquet jr a second chance for being equally off the pace in his first season.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that Petrov will be WDC one day, but he's proved that he's capable of doing a good job. I understand the cut throat buisness of modern day Formula 1 but i also hate seeing a decent prospect not being given the oppertunity because time wouldn't allow it.