Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Closed Thread

Old 28 Dec 2004, 13:01 (Ref:1188800)   #276
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's Top Gear's The Stig?

I know who the old one is, but am curious to know who's been The Stig since Perry McCarthy.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 14:04 (Ref:1188823)   #277
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ben Collins.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 14:45 (Ref:1188860)   #278
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aaaaah... Thank you!
Old 28 Dec 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1189101)   #279
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i reckon it's Elvis...maybe Amelia Earhart...perfect for the Stig's position, because, you see: no-one would ever suspect...

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 5 Jan 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1193733)   #280
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Splitting the ATOM

Did anyone spot that the Aerial Atom that the STIG drove was a different one to that that Jeremy C was driving?

Reason for change - the big fat duffer blew it up!
Old 5 Jan 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1193736)   #281
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Ben Collins.
Knowledge from?
Old 6 Jan 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1194447)   #282
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are you sure it's Ben Collins? Why?

It was definitely nearly always Perry McCarthy before though.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1194494)   #283
Slippery
Rookie

Slippery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perry Mcarthy and Julian Bailey used to be the 'Stig'. Perry sold his story to the Sun which resulted in a bloody nose from Mr Clarkson when he next turned up for filming - the end of Perry as the 'Stig'.

Julian Bailey now does most of the work as the 'Stig', I was at Dunsfold in November and they were filming GT40 VS Mac F1 VS Noble M400 - not sure if its been broadcast yet? - anyway, Julian was the 'Stig' on this day.

I have also heard the rumour that Ben Collins has done some filming for them as the 'Stig' when Julian has been unavailable - not sure if it is true or not.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1194606)   #284
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
It's true. Ben has done some 'Stigging', as have a few more drivers. Hence the reason for the disguise - it's not always the same driver, but they want you to think it is.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1195393)   #285
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Steve Wilkinson]Did anyone spot that the Aerial Atom that the STIG drove was a different one to that that Jeremy C was driving?
QUOTE]

They cars are different quite a lot. Different colours etc,etc.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1195566)   #286
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Renault F1 car that the stig drove a few weeks ago........dosen't the driver have to have current special "superlicence" or something
Old 7 Jan 2005, 23:10 (Ref:1195573)   #287
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy GP610
That Renault F1 car that the stig drove a few weeks ago........dosen't the driver have to have current special "superlicence" or something
I did read somewhere that the Renault test driver Franck Montagny played the Stig for the that test.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1195776)   #288
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
You need an FIA superlicence to race in F1. If you just want to blat round a private test track you don't need any licence.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1196498)   #289
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I did read somewhere that the Renault test driver Franck Montagny played the Stig for the that test.
It was 2004 Race Of Champions winner Heikki Kovalainen.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1196782)   #290
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 11:12 (Ref:1198848)   #291
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought it was Heikki as it's the sort of task a junior test driver would be given and Renault would be unlikely to let anyone, other than one of their drivers, out in the car.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1198886)   #292
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My wife watches this tosh and on Sunday's programme I noted that at one stage The Stig was wearing plain white Sparcos and at another he was wearing plain white Alpinestars....
Old 12 Jan 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1198890)   #293
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The last two programmes have been highlights of the past series hence different overals I guess.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1198914)   #294
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still, one bloke wouldn't wear two makes of overalls - so it MUST be that there are Stigs and not just Stig.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1199036)   #295
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the white stig is sponsored by GP Racewear so they have been using lots of brands. The Black Stig was sponsored by Stand 21 so it was always Stand 21 clothing
Old 31 Jan 2005, 03:04 (Ref:1213497)   #296
Das
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Das should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Stig

As a new boy from down under and having read a lot of the discussion can I safely assume that The Stig was Perry Macarthy ( in black ) with Julian Bailey filling in. Now Julian is The Stig ?

Last edited by Das; 31 Jan 2005 at 03:06. Reason: error
Old 3 Feb 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1216699)   #297
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if this has been posted already as i have only read up to page 9 of the 20 pages of this thread. Perry McCarthy was the Stig in the first series he appeared in (black overalls). He confirmed this whren he released his book 'Flat Out, Flat Broke' By Perry McCarthy also known as The Stig. It was for this reason (chirping like a canary) that he was released from his contract for using it to sell his book.
I know of someone who went to see Top Gear being filmed and he said that as they were about to head into the studio someone pointed out Johnny Herbert in the mother of all Jaguar XK's. Once he realised he had been spotted he started doing a spot of showboating (dohnuts etc.) before peeling out of the car park at mach5. What a pro. Those tyres probably cost more than my annual wages.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1216795)   #298
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Ben Collins is White Stig, apparently, except when the Renault F1 car tooled around (that was Kovalainen).
Old 4 Feb 2005, 05:10 (Ref:1217132)   #299
Das
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Das should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the consensus please - is White Stig Ben Collins or Julian Bailey ? It's
"clear" that others have played the role adhoc eg F1 Test Drivers when an F1 appears. I sense we need to have closure and move on ! Oops am I allowed to bring discussion to an end after 3 postings and suggest we talk about cricket. You poms surely don't think you have a hope in the upcoming ashes series do you? England has as much hope of winning as Jeremy Clarkson does of losing his arrogance.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1217236)   #300
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das
You poms surely don't think you have a hope in the upcoming ashes series do you? England has as much hope of winning as Jeremy Clarkson does of losing his arrogance.
LOL Cricket its an old mans game (no offence the older gen in here ) ........ besides the last austrilian to be number 1 here was peter andre so we have just as much hope as you.