Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Oct 2022, 19:54 (Ref:4128685)   #26
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
BMW branding appeared on the car the first weekend it ran, but the badge had disappeared by it's second outting a few weeks later.
I must be thinking of a different entry.
I'm looking at the 2011 Geoff Steel car that ran for nine rounds with a BMW engine, and was entered by Tony Gilham in round ten with the TOCA emgine (only round ten) and still BMW badges.
Old 4 Oct 2022, 21:03 (Ref:4128687)   #27
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BMW branding aside - 'Twelve cars are currently in build for the 2023 season' - is a promising early indicator for such a big change in regulations.

If this goes as well as hoped, I expect many other series will quickly follow.
Old 4 Oct 2022, 22:02 (Ref:4128690)   #28
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly saying, I will give the "e" STCC a chance. Out of current electric championships, this (on paper) seems like the best one by far.
As much as I dislike the concept of electric motor industry in general and I'm not sure if it's really that eco, the times are changing and this has to be acknowledged. Electric cars seem like a future (unless hydrogen happens to be a better idea) so naturally motorsport will become electric as well.
STCC might be a real look into how touring car racing might really 'function' in not a distant future and I'm quite interested in how it all pans out.
Good concept, that's for sure. Can imagine BTCC following suit relatively quickly if STCC becomes success.
Old 5 Oct 2022, 08:02 (Ref:4128725)   #29
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This isn't a good start - https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...ng-stcc-split/
Old 5 Oct 2022, 08:45 (Ref:4128732)   #30
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True - from what I understood, TCR Scandinavia was to be some sort of a support series of STCC.
Old 5 Oct 2022, 15:02 (Ref:4128772)   #31
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hardly worked out well for ETCR has it? Their highlights video from the last weekend at Sachsenring has a lofty 625 views on the OFFICIAL Youtube channel. They cant get more than what, 6 cars for a 5 lap race or something?

Would be better if ETCR and STCC worked together to come up with some sort of common framework so that you can buy a car for one championship and run it elsewhere, then when other championships start up you dont need to come up with a whole new set of regulations.

Last edited by tux; 5 Oct 2022 at 15:10.
Old 5 Oct 2022, 17:31 (Ref:4128787)   #32
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
YouTube views don't reflect the content or the viewers interest, but rather whether the website has pushed the video in its recommendations, which in turn draws subscriptions.

The ETCR has 6,000 YouTube subscribers. FIA WEC has 200 k. Hoonigan has 5 million.
Old 5 Oct 2022, 17:50 (Ref:4128790)   #33
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was at the Sachsenring and omg, that was a shitshow. The cars are so slow on track and the entire cooling and fueling system of the vehicles is anything but environmentally friendly.
Old 7 Oct 2022, 17:50 (Ref:4129038)   #34
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Honestly saying, I will give the "e" STCC a chance. Out of current electric championships, this (on paper) seems like the best one by far.
As much as I dislike the concept of electric motor industry in general and I'm not sure if it's really that eco, the times are changing and this has to be acknowledged. Electric cars seem like a future (unless hydrogen happens to be a better idea) so naturally motorsport will become electric as well.
STCC might be a real look into how touring car racing might really 'function' in not a distant future and I'm quite interested in how it all pans out.
Good concept, that's for sure. Can imagine BTCC following suit relatively quickly if STCC becomes success.
I agree.

Old style motorsport is still what I prefer but times are indeed changing. I don't like Formula E, but the cars of WRX and eTCR aren't bad to watch. The latter needs only more cars and a proper racing format instead of the "rallycross" format.
Old 7 Oct 2022, 17:57 (Ref:4129039)   #35
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
True - from what I understood, TCR Scandinavia was to be some sort of a support series of STCC.
IIRC in one of the STCC announcements it was suggested TCR cars would race alongside the electric cars.

Maybe the rightsholder of TCR Scandinavia (or even World Sporting Consulting?) doesn't want to play second fiddle.
Old 8 Oct 2022, 19:03 (Ref:4129271)   #36
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I agree.

Old style motorsport is still what I prefer but times are indeed changing. I don't like Formula E, but the cars of WRX and eTCR aren't bad to watch. The latter needs only more cars and a proper racing format instead of the "rallycross" format.
I agree, the eTCR cars themselves seem quite good - okay, it'll take me a while until I accept the 'sound' - but other than that they seem nice to watch, a bit Supercars-like tbh. But the format of the series just kills it.
Old 10 Oct 2022, 17:44 (Ref:4129758)   #37
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
I agree, the eTCR cars themselves seem quite good - okay, it'll take me a while until I accept the 'sound' - but other than that they seem nice to watch, a bit Supercars-like tbh. But the format of the series just kills it.
I understand they used this format to get the series of the ground but after two seasons it's time get a full grid and longer races. In my opinion they should merge WTCR and eTCR to one series (electric WTCR).
Old 13 Nov 2022, 15:15 (Ref:4133488)   #38
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I am wondering if we will see a Polestar 2 from Cyan Racing in STCC.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 18:10 (Ref:4137193)   #39
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
TBA - Exion Racing - BMW i4
TBA - Brink Motorsport - Tesla Model 3?
Christian Skaar - Team Auto Lounge Racing - Volkswagen ID.3
TBA - Team Auto Lounge Racing - Volkswagen ID.3
Old 14 Dec 2022, 18:11 (Ref:4137194)   #40
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Stohl Advanced Research and Development (STARD) has been named as the company that will provide the batteries that will be used when the STCC moves into the electrified era in 2023.

The Austrian company has a long history of working with EV powertrains, having been behind the first electric rally/rallycross development car and the 2000hp Ford Pro Electric SuperVan concept car.

STARD will now work alongside EPWR – the R&D division of the PWR Group – on the integration of the new battery systems into the 550hp cars being engineered for the first STCC season under electric power.
Source: https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...tery-provider/
Old 15 Dec 2022, 14:26 (Ref:4137252)   #41
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Updated list:

Calle Bergman - Exion Racing - BMW i4
TBA - Brink Motorsport - Tesla Model 3
Christian Skaar - Team Auto Lounge Racing - Volkswagen ID.3

Sources:

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...2023-campaign/
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...ook-stcc-grid/
Old 15 Dec 2022, 14:31 (Ref:4137253)   #42
Matt K
Veteran

I wonder if there are more teams and cars to come in 2023? If they could grow it up to at least 20 cars would be awesome but somehow I doubt this can happen
Old 15 Dec 2022, 14:48 (Ref:4137254)   #43
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder if there are more teams and cars to come in 2023? If they could grow it up to at least 20 cars would be awesome but somehow I doubt this can happen
Even if they get nine on the grid that's more than ETCR managed! Very interested to see how it goes.
Old 15 Dec 2022, 16:05 (Ref:4137257)   #44
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Even if they get nine on the grid that's more than ETCR managed! Very interested to see how it goes.
True that!
Yes, the 'new' STCC seems the first electric championship that caught my interest even if the slightest one. Quite curious how it goes as that possibly may be the future of touring car racing in general. Doubt I'll have time to watch races etc but will definitely keep an eye on how things go.
Old 15 Dec 2022, 17:41 (Ref:4137263)   #45
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Quote:
A first production batch of 12 cars are currently being produced to be ready for the 2023 season start. The cars will be delivered by the Swedish company EPWR in collaboration with STCC.
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...ric-stcc-2023/

Season start at June 12 so there's six months to go.

It states EPWR is building the cars, but does that mean only the electric powertrain parts or all race modifications? I assume they use sort of TCR rules with BoP.
Are you care to explain a little bit more about the technical side Johan?
Old 16 Dec 2022, 07:40 (Ref:4137294)   #46
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All committed teams are not yet revealed, more to come.

Similar to NGTC for the BTCC, the powertrain and front/rear suspension is common for all new STCC cars while chassis, etc. is based on the standard car.

STARD provides batteries, EPWR does the rest with its contractors.

All cars RWD, 550hp & 600Nm, 45 kWh battery, around 1450kg, 15-20 min at full pace pending circuit, cost approx. 220k €.
Old 16 Dec 2022, 07:41 (Ref:4137295)   #47
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
And this is how they sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3o23AN91ic
Old 16 Dec 2022, 14:51 (Ref:4137345)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner View Post
I literally could not sit and listen to that for more than 2 corners......
Old 16 Dec 2022, 15:38 (Ref:4137350)   #49
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I literally could not sit and listen to that for more than 2 corners......
I suppose you couldn't listen to Super Touring BMWs either then

https://youtu.be/Jrynep7VcHY?t=10
Old 16 Dec 2022, 17:50 (Ref:4137363)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner View Post
I suppose you couldn't listen to Super Touring BMWs either then

https://youtu.be/Jrynep7VcHY?t=10
I confess that's not the easiest to listen to is it? But I'd take that over the milk floats! They just sound like an old fashioned screaming kettle...

But high pitched can still be sublimely beautiful.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auXfAHHNSFo