Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Jun 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1017445)   #1
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't you race at the 'less glamourous' circuits?

Is there a snob, or poseurs reason behind your choice of where you will race? The reason I ask is that the less glamourous circuits tend to be 'avoided like the plague' by a lot of you.
Tell them in the golf club that you are racing this weekend at Brands Hatch, or Silverstone and you have 'leisure time credibility'. Tell them you are racing at Lydden Hill, Anglesey, Cadwell Park etc. and they will wonder what planet you are on.
I've just had a look at the MST website for this weekends HSCC meeting at Snetterton and the numbers of qualifiers make interesting reading [when compared to their Silversone meeting 3 weeks ago].
Class -------------------- Silv - Snet
70s Road Sports ------- 37 - 29
Classic F3 --------------- 25 - 17
Classic Racing Cars --- 38 - 20
Classic Sports Cars --- 32 - 24
Derek Bell Trophy ----- 31 - 9
Historic FF1600 -------- 41 - 22
Historic FJ --------------- 42 - 10
Historic Road Sports -- 37 - 23
TOTAL ----------------- 283 -154
Where are the other 129 entries this weeekend?
Old 27 Jun 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1017471)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well let's assume that there are some family members and as such they may be on holiday.

Next geography. Snetterton is a pain in the backside to get to unless you live east of Cambridge.

Personally I don't like Lydden. I've usually been reasonably succesful there but I just don't like it, so unless there's a pressing need to be ther I don't go.

I've never been to Anglesey so can't comment. Always make an effort to get to Cadwell Park, Mallory too.

Don't particularly like Brands Indy but I'll race there because its usually a big event.

I make a special effort to race at Spa Francorchamps likwise Pembrey, both circuits that give me huge enjoyment.

I like Castle Coombe but don't get there very often.

Oulton Park is also fun and I suspect I'm one of the few who enjoys the National circuit at Silverstone.

So its not so much "snobbery" with me more like personal preference. And as I don't play golf (not that boring) I'm unlikely to get any "leisure time credibilty".

And I wouldn't race a "spindly" at any circuit!
Old 27 Jun 2004, 13:46 (Ref:1017507)   #3
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Don't particularly like Brands Indy but I'll race there because its usually a big event.
And I wouldn't race a "spindly" at any circuit!
'its usually a big event' This sort of backs up the "leisure time credibilty" argument.

'I wouldn't race a "spindly" at any circuit! '
I didn't state any preference to types of racing car, but as you've mentioned it, 'it's only toilets that need doors
Old 27 Jun 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1017625)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I prefer the 'little circuits' I consider Lydden my home circuit, I really like Mallory, Combe and Anglesey looks good (but is too far for me!)
Old 27 Jun 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1017720)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
'its usually a big event' This sort of backs up the "leisure time credibilty" argument.
Not at all. The more people adds to the fun. We only get to go there for major events.

But maybe when you get to drive a "toilet" you'll find out.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1017746)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Have a look at the entry for Snetterton next weekend. Thats a BARC event with a lot of "toilets" or "proper" cars racing. Big grids BTW.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1017760)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
I prefer the 'little circuits' I consider Lydden my home circuit, I really like Mallory, Combe and Anglesey looks good (but is too far for me!)
I've sort of monopolised this but that was my "geography" point.

I "like" all circuits. But some are more fun than others. I just don't enjoy Lydden. Five hours drive there for me. I can be at Oulton in less time.

The tone of the thread starter is a bit strange also. With a sig promoting a NW championship one assumes he (or she) only goes to Oulton anyway.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1017831)   #8
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Generally most racers only have a finite amount of time and money to indulge in motorsport. I don't follow the snob value point as personally I keep racing and my "real life" totally separate and certainly don't play golf.
I generally enjoy the longer circuits that give me real driving pleasure - hence my favourites of Castle Combe, Oulton int, Cadwell Park full circuit and Donington.
As for me I really do not get the required thrill out of some circuits and hence I don't bother racing there.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 18:35 (Ref:1017856)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peter

The NW FF1600 Championship also goes to Anglesey and diz tries very hard to get people to go to Croft too - he has organised a non-championship event there. If you'd seen CLSS forum lately you'd have noticed a bit of 'debate' about Anglesey - and why NWFF people go there in smaller numbers than they do to Oulton.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 19:24 (Ref:1017962)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I always do the vee races at Brands even though I hate the place - simply cos its local. I Don't really venture north for racing - cheaper to go to France / Holland where I can run my car.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 21:21 (Ref:1018117)   #11
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
I Don't really venture north for racing - cheaper to go to France / Holland
I'd love to see some figures to back that claim up!
Old 27 Jun 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1018118)   #12
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
The tone of the thread starter is a bit strange also. With a sig promoting a NW championship one assumes he (or she) only goes to Oulton anyway.
Peter, it is he and he doesn't drive, just organises. It was Sunday morning and I thought I would ask for peoples opinions and reasons and it looks like I am getting them. I'm not quite sure what 'tone' I have intimated, there was certainly none intended.
I suppose an answer could be that motor racing is no different to any other pastime in my 'poseur' argument. Many more people attend Premier League football matches than go to watch the lower division stuff - which is often better. Similarly more people go to the likes of TOCA, F3, BSB. This would bring us back to promotion of events, but this has been done to death on other threads.
As for only going to Oulton, I have attended every circuit in the mainland, Ulster and Eire on many occasions over the last forty years [except Rockingham] and many that are no longer in use.

Thanks Ian Sowman for the support. It is a bit tight, but I will keep wearing it.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1018137)   #13
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
I have attended every circuit in the mainland, Ulster and Eire on many occasions over the last forty years [except Rockingham] and many are no longer in use.
Surely the closures weren't all down to you Diz?

Last edited by JohnMiller; 27 Jun 2004 at 21:48.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 22:58 (Ref:1018207)   #14
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMiller
Surely the closures weren't all down to you Diz?
The old version of Croft maybe, but that's another tale. In retrospect, lifting the main gates off their hinges to gain access to the Paddock on the Saturday night was not the best of moves. It was worth it though to see the circuit manager [who was also in situ at another circuit when that got closed] jumping up and down in his pyjamas. My driver and the driver from the other team involved had to apologise the next morning though, before they would be allowed to race.

Last edited by diz; 27 Jun 2004 at 23:01.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 06:50 (Ref:1018376)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have done Snett meeting as it was an hour long race for most classes and personally I dont find it too difficult to get to - however it clashed with an annual cricket match! Also I think a hillclimb down in Sussex might have taken a few punters away!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 08:39 (Ref:1018452)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think the snobbery factor is bo**ocks frankly

this is our forst year actually racing and we're choosing meets which suit our diary and make sense geographically, thus far the best circuit and longest journey has been Cadwell Park, well worth the effort despite the lack of facilities and remoteness etc.

I didnt do Silverstone as it clashed with other comitments, and doesnt really appeal to me much, I like the smaller twisty circuits, hence we're going to Lyden (its close-ish to home) and we Love Brands, good facilities, great circuit and less than an hour from home.

DOnnington was a very long day out, but very much enjoyed, we havent been elsewhere yest, but Spa is the ultimate for me

oh . . .and we went to Snet this weekend
Old 28 Jun 2004, 09:25 (Ref:1018493)   #17
Frank Rizzo
Rookie

Wales
surrey
Frank Rizzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time and money for me. Hence stay local and do Brands (love it) Silverstone (I actually enjoy the club circuit too), Thruxton and Castle Coombe, and will do the rock this year for the first time. I ultimately limit myself to about 3 races, so they are usually in the south (have done Snet a few times and is also a great drivers circuit). When money and time are less prohibitive, then would gladly go to any circuit where we race.

Facilities may make a difference to lots of racers, as lets face it, you spend most of the weekend/ day, NOT racing, so need some diversions when not putting hte car together....
Old 28 Jun 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1018540)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've found the facilities make more of a difference when spectating, when racing your too busy, and we've started taking our own food etc because I wasnt to feel good when I'm racing for an hour, not full of lard'n'gristle ! apart from the fact its cheaper. the one thing you do need is a decent toilet !!!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1018564)   #19
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For the aftereffects of said circuit food?
Old 28 Jun 2004, 11:21 (Ref:1018613)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah now.

Best circuit breakfast? (To be taken after qualifying).

Mallory Park. Great Bacon, egg and tomato sarnies.
Thruxton. Lots of it.
Snetterton Good selection.
Oulton Park as Snetterton.
Donington Park
Silverstone (you can get a healthy option here).

Oddly enough at Brands we usually end up at a burger stall.

But the very best for me is Cadwell Park.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 12:20 (Ref:1018699)   #21
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll happily race anywhere - if its on our series calendar, I'll be there. Silverstone is normally towards the bottom of my list as its as dull as dishwater (the excellent Stowe excepted...). We weren't given Anglesey this year, so I'm entering the NW S&S there this weekend - one of the best tracks around.

Best breakfast - Rockingham is rather good!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 12:23 (Ref:1018707)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not been to Rockingham, Knockhill or Croft so can't comment.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1018709)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I havent had time for breakfast yet at any race meeting . . . although I got a cup of coffee and a pain au chocolate yesterday morning !

Peter, burgers, Brands, breakfast . . .I can see that
Old 28 Jun 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1018715)   #24
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Best circuit breakfast? But the very best for me is Cadwell Park.
Now I agree with you Peter. Mallory used to be a close second.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 12:41 (Ref:1018738)   #25
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went testing at Goodwood with the 750MC earlier this year and the food was fantastic, even had a good view of the circuit from the table.
Donington is probably the most amusing place as whoever built the restaurant/bar put it next to Redgate but with no view of the track at all - madness.
Personally i think Cadwell's club house is the worst - when we went testing on a boiling hot day the staff would not even allow the doors to be opened and we were told that we would be barred if we took chairs outside.