Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Feb 2020, 10:03 (Ref:3959975)   #616
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Grant, no offence taken whatsoever
If will just remember to be more careful with advice in futiure, especially in critical situations

RuE
Your advice was exactly in line with a document I later found on the (a?) Volvo web site - which seems to be wrong for the car in question. Not by much but by enough to be confusing.

I assume that there must also be some sort of emergency handbrake release option for an immobile vehicle. Is an auto box parking lock still a thing on "modern" cars? If so presumably there is some way of disengaging that as well.

I would have dived into the car's manual in more detail with such questions but with Son-in-Law about to turn up by the time we had established there seemed to be no way it would start, I thought it best to leave things to him. Driving an E class with Ad-Blue he at least has some exposure to the ins and outs of the stuff. Possibly the previous XC90 also had Ad-Blue but I'm not sure. That was a 2017 model.

I wonder what happens if the level is assessed to be too low - perhaps to an incline on the road being used at the time - as one sits in traffic on the way to obtain a refill? Does the Stop/Start system stop and not restart in mid journey?

There is potential for completely illogical operation in this technology. Too clever for many of its users. And itself.

Last edited by grantp; 26 Feb 2020 at 10:10.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 10:26 (Ref:3959979)   #617
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Glad you’ve all worked out what adblu is and what it does! I’ve lived with an adblu Merc van for over 3 years, and it really isn’t a big deal. It has a separate gauge that is accessed via the settings menu, and warns when down to 1/4 full. The filler is next to the diesel one, well marked and a different nozzle size (smaller).

I am lucky that my Euro 4 truck was one of the last made not requiring adblu. It did influence my choice! As commented, all truck pump services now have an adblu one next to the diesel one, so one can replenish both at the same time if required. Apart from the extra running cost, most adblu trucks had smaller diesel tanks to accommodate the separate additive one, but they may be engineering round that now.

I do know car owners that weren’t even aware their new wheels required the stuff. One in particular had to have it pointed out to him by his wife....

It is now quite a few years since I was driving trucks for work , & then only when the equipment I delivered was large or heavy .
So I might have driven 3 or 4 different trucks a month .
Vaguely I remember that some of them had Ad blu , some did not .
But there was also winter additive to go in sometimes . It used to be that a lot of southern European fuel stations did not use winter diesel through most of the year . So a tankful from Spain would need Winter Additive if you were then going very far North .
So never easy to remember everything , especially when it might be a vehicle you have never driven before , & then only use that one for a few days .
Old 26 Feb 2020, 10:26 (Ref:3959980)   #618
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Glad you’ve all worked out what adblu is and what it does! I’ve lived with an adblu Merc van for over 3 years, and it really isn’t a big deal. It has a separate gauge that is accessed via the settings menu, and warns when down to 1/4 full. The filler is next to the diesel one, well marked and a different nozzle size (smaller).
Hi Mike,

Yes it's not a big deal though from what I have heard (and read here) the "distance between fill up" are likely wildly wrong.

The things about this experience though is that the gauge seems to be very useless (400 miles drops to 0 after 12 miles) or the levelness of the vehicle is ultra critical (which is clearly ridiculous especially for an off-roader) and the documentation is all over the place - including the in-car, electronic, user manual.

And then Volvo service seems unable to help on the phone and promises a 90 minute service it cannot deliver an hour later.

Overall an unimpressive experience especially for someone driving their second example of the car having had the first for 2 years. We knew what the initial problem might be bit there was no obvious message that the "fix" would not allow the car to work.

A full 10ltr container lifted to the height required for the filler on an XC90 would be quite a physical task for many owners - especially holding it at that height during a rather slow filling process.

And if the car is totally immobile during that period I can think of situations where that could be extremely inconvenient and maybe dangerous.

Not very Volvo like.

And realistically the requirement for the Ad-blue treatment availability is a purely ecological matter. Creating inconvenience and potential danger (in other travel situations) merely for fine control of emissions for a temporary period makes no sense at all. IMO.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 11:28 (Ref:3959991)   #619
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Oh well I'll keep my old Pug 406 HDI until I am forced by the powers that be to junk it. It has got a Cat on it that doesn't regenerate itself and shows nothing on my MOT smoke test. It returns 50/60 mpg and will easily cruise at 90mph with a chip in the injection control set to economy. It's worth nothing on the books and shows no sign of rusting on the body or underneath.
Anyway as it's an estate car I can use it to collect logs for my woodburner !!!!! I'll probably be buried in it
That'll be the same engine as in my Mk 1 Citroen Dispatch van I expect, so I'm pleased to read this

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Feb 2020, 14:30 (Ref:3960016)   #620
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Given my current daily driver is 17 years old, it'll be 2032 before I have a car of that era. At which stage I'll be thinking of giving up driving anyway. Doesn't sound like something I'm going to have to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Same story here, somewhat sadly I recently waved goodbye to my 1.9tdi Passat after 19 years and 200,000 miles principally because of the increasing costs of replacement parts including the exhaust system however my "new" Passat at a mere 12 years old should see me through with only 50k on the clock I recently had the displeasure of driving a Citroen C3 Air something as a rental for 5 days and hated everything about it.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 18:28 (Ref:3960060)   #621
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I recently had the displeasure of driving a Citroen C3 Air something as a rental for 5 days and hated everything about it.
That's exactly why this type of car exists, this helps you to appreciate good stuff…*Just strip a door from a Passat and do the same with the "equivalent" Pug, you'll understand in what they differ.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 19:00 (Ref:3960065)   #622
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
That's exactly why this type of car exists, this helps you to appreciate good stuff…*Just strip a door from a Passat and do the same with the "equivalent" Pug, you'll understand in what they differ.
Quite right, oddly enough I have replaced window regulators on both my previous Passat and a Belingo, the difference is chalk and cheese. The German construction is a precision engineered product albeit perhaps a little over the top and the French is a mere childs toy, the term designed obsolesce was obviously derived from such a lightweight fabrication.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 19:35 (Ref:3960070)   #623
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post

But there was also winter additive to go in sometimes . It used to be that a lot of southern European fuel stations did not use winter diesel through most of the year . So a tankful from Spain would need Winter Additive if you were then going very far North .
We just used to mix a drop of paraffin to summer diesel to stop it waxing in the cold weather. A diesel engine with an in line pump will actually run on paraffin when it's warm (not many people know that).
I have been told that some people used to use red diesel to drive to race meetings on the continent !! :
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Feb 2020, 19:45 (Ref:3960072)   #624
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
. The German construction is a precision engineered product albeit perhaps a little over the top and the French is a mere childs toy, the term designed obsolesce was obviously derived from such a lightweight fabrication.
The Pug engine is pretty bulletproof and reliable but the electrical side does leave a bit to be desired. The damp air in the UK does play tricks with the central locking and immobilizer, but the Pug I have in Spain never gives any trouble at all and is reliable to a fault that I hardly ever pick the bonnet up to check the oil & water ! and I know that it will catch me out one day.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Feb 2020, 20:09 (Ref:3960075)   #625
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Electrics on so called modern Pugs is pure crap. How on earth a long established car maker can "design" the loom of a 307 just to name one model. Imagine what it gives on the budget of an average family paying with a long term credit. The car is ready for the bin before the end of the payment! It hurts. Badly. Centuries ago this brand was famous for dentists tools and very good pepper pots and salt shakers. Bikes and mopeds were the biggest revolution they could expect from themselves.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 20:18 (Ref:3960076)   #626
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Electrics on so called modern Pugs is pure crap. .
Any Pugs that end in a 7 and onwards are rubbish right through the range, and that is not just me as all my fellow mechanics say the same
Old 27 Feb 2020, 05:09 (Ref:3960117)   #627
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
They're right! Just to show the right example I bought one of the last 207 produced. I said to my wife all the traditional BS, we're French, must help, support our industry well the whole garbage. I choose the top of the range with all the supposed right bits… Watta mistake! I'll never buy another new Pug!
Old 27 Feb 2020, 09:01 (Ref:3960143)   #628
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Quite right, oddly enough I have replaced window regulators on both my previous Passat and a Belingo, the difference is chalk and cheese. The German construction is a precision engineered product albeit perhaps a little over the top and the French is a mere childs toy, the term designed obsolesce was obviously derived from such a lightweight fabrication.

I understand what you are saying but have to observe that you know this because both regulators failed (presumably). Was the Passat window used much more than the Berlingo window?

What were the relative costs of replacement?
Old 27 Feb 2020, 10:10 (Ref:3960157)   #629
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At the moment I'm still driving my 2007 Grand Cherokee. Apart from the outdated sat nav it's great. 48k miles on the clock.
Old 27 Feb 2020, 11:21 (Ref:3960175)   #630
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

2002 Saab 9-5 here. 156k miles. Regularly fettled over 15.5 years of ownership. Most critical corrosion items have been replaced bit by bit. Had it rustproofed a year ago.

I suspect it may need a new exhaust at some point. From memory the existing one is about 10 years old or maybe a little more - remarkable given the number of short runs I take.

It's complicated enough but not too complicated and still generally fixable for as long as there is half decent parts availability.