Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 26 Apr 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2870176)   #2551
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The cilinder liners problems is supposed to be fixed today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The problem and it's solution was planned before the test day but the item was delayed until next Tuesday, they also plan other upgrades such as the injection system. Andy Meryck said they didn't have a large stock inventory because the car was under continuous development.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2870179)   #2552
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
No one really knows how quick the car is, they did 3.51 after a handful of cautious laps, a clean, meanigful run is needed.
Paul Ricard wasn't clean, meaningful running?

At least AMR won't have to worry about their precious fuel type equivalency, as they clearly can't even catch the leading petrol cars!

Last edited by Deleted; 26 Apr 2011 at 19:04.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2870182)   #2553
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

At least AMR won't have to worry about their precious fuel type equilevancy, as they clearly can't even catch the leading petrol cars!
They'll increase the restrictor on the Aston by about 150%, however... at that point the engine will match the power of the diesels, but only for about 5 seconds before exploding in a fireball.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2870193)   #2554
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
5 seconds of glory is still better than 24 hours of shame, right?
Old 26 Apr 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2870195)   #2555
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
No, it was. Paul Ricard was all about nursing the engine, such that it would not explode
Old 26 Apr 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2870196)   #2556
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not saying doubts haven't been put in my mind about this project but the reaction to their troubles strikes me as a touch premature. There's a lot riding on this for both Prodrive and Aston and people like Dave Richards usually get what they want.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2870331)   #2557
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
I think that some of you think the AMR is ugly because its shape is revolutionary
and it looks unusual.
I like this attempt of AMR to build something completely different.
Have to disagree strongly. I'd say quote the opposite, the car design is circa 2000, about 10 years behind times.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 23:22 (Ref:2870339)   #2558
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
For some reason, it reminds me of the Lister LMP... in many ways.

http://www.autocarzine.com/wp-conten...3-1024x683.jpg

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic/1...orm-LMP_1.html

Did Aston just take the Lister, and make some minor changes?
Old 27 Apr 2011, 05:58 (Ref:2870369)   #2559
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I see some lister in it- for their sake I just hope they get their act together and the car actually lasts.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 06:01 (Ref:2870371)   #2560
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
For some reason, it reminds me of the Lister LMP... in many ways.

http://www.autocarzine.com/wp-conten...3-1024x683.jpg

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic/1...orm-LMP_1.html

Did Aston just take the Lister, and make some minor changes?
If Aston just toke the Lister and continued on that, then they actually managed to make it worse .
As far as i remember, the Lister had "something", but just needed the budget to go all the way (fx. a purpose build LMP engine, or more development time).

I was out quickly to badge and doom the AMR One. But unfortunately it's seems to be correct, the AMR One and the AMR team just delivered something which is close to unprofessional.
AMR reminds me too much of WR (in the bad way).
Old 27 Apr 2011, 06:14 (Ref:2870375)   #2561
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
If Aston just toke the Lister and continued on that, then they actually managed to make it worse .
As far as i remember, the Lister had "something", but just needed the budget to go all the way (fx. a purpose build LMP engine, or more development time).
IIRC Laurence Pearce bemoaned the lack of grunt from the chevvy motor
Old 27 Apr 2011, 06:39 (Ref:2870387)   #2562
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post

I was out quickly to badge and doom the AMR One. But unfortunately it's seems to be correct, the AMR One and the AMR team just delivered something which is close to unprofessional.
AMR reminds me too much of WR (in the bad way).
Yes, but at least the WR (and the predecessor WMs) made me smile....
Old 27 Apr 2011, 06:43 (Ref:2870388)   #2563
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
No, it was. Paul Ricard was all about nursing the engine, such that it would not explode

Doesn't it strike you as incompetence if they had to nurse a brand-new engine, fearing that it might explode?

Clearly they were right to take that view if the engine troubles last weekend are anything to go by, but it begs the question: how could they apparently get the engine design so wrong?
Old 27 Apr 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2870435)   #2564
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
Clearly they were right to take that view if the engine troubles last weekend are anything to go by, but it begs the question: how could they apparently get the engine design so wrong?
The first AMR engine was built in February 2011. They are still solving the teehting problems. The whole project is just too late.

To put things into perspectives, the Peugeot V8 HDI did its first dyno tests on January 25, 2010 and Audi V6 TDI in the summer of 2010.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2870454)   #2565
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The first AMR engine was built in February 2011. They are still solving the teehting problems. The whole project is just too late.

To put things into perspectives, the Peugeot V8 HDI did its first dyno tests on January 25, 2010 and Audi V6 TDI in the summer of 2010.
The project isn't too late. The racing is too early
Old 27 Apr 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2870537)   #2566
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I suspect the project has been early. The MONEY was late...

Prodrive aren't mugs. So there's something better than it looks. At least, I bloody well hope so! After all, they don't have all the ex Subaru guys back out on Mini duties yet...
Old 28 Apr 2011, 06:36 (Ref:2871022)   #2567
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Have to disagree strongly. I'd say quote the opposite, the car design is circa 2000, about 10 years behind times.
Don't you at least consider the treatment of the front diffuser and the internal ducting a bit interesting and adventurous? While it might not work, from the technical fan's perspective, better that than the bog-standard, 'safe' approach of a open wheeler with detached front fenders that most LMPs seem to be converging upon in the last few years. With that said, from their point of view, and with their resources, they probably should have taken the 'safe' option

Last edited by cdsvg; 28 Apr 2011 at 06:42.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 07:17 (Ref:2871036)   #2568
Le Vieux
Veteran

There's probably not a single reader on this forum that doesn't want to see the AMR-One do well, but the evidence so far doesn't give cause for optimism. As has been stated earlier, Peugeot, for example only raced twelve months after the initial tests with the engine and Aston clearly need more time. I come to Le Mans to watch racing, not development work.

Wouldn't a strategic withdrawal for the rest of this season - or however long it takes - be a good move? Additionally, it would allow in a couple of reserves and thus avoid a repeat of the JLOC Lamborghini fiasco of a couple of years ago.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2871094)   #2569
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsavage View Post
Don't you at least consider the treatment of the front diffuser and the internal ducting a bit interesting and adventurous? While it might not work, from the technical fan's perspective, better that than the bog-standard, 'safe' approach of a open wheeler with detached front fenders that most LMPs seem to be converging upon in the last few years. With that said, from their point of view, and with their resources, they probably should have taken the 'safe' option
Adventurous? Not at all. Hardly "safe" going to the open wheeler route. Much more difficult to produce a car that doesn't end up too draggy. Aston has gone the safe route with a rather uninspired front end aero package, there's nothing revolutionary there and it harkens back to the early days of LMP900.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2871095)   #2570
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Withdrawn from Spa...

Ben
Old 28 Apr 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2871107)   #2571
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
Withdrawn from Spa...

Ben
Interesting. Is this confirmed? How will this impact their Le Mans entries given that they also missed the Sebring ILMC round?
Old 28 Apr 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2871120)   #2572
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Interesting. Is this confirmed? How will this impact their Le Mans entries given that they also missed the Sebring ILMC round?
Looking good to be short priced favorite for first retirement at LM24 (if they get there). I'm an AMR fan, however I would rather see the Kronos Lola Aston Martin get a start over this shoddy effort.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2871134)   #2573
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'd rather think that a no-show at Spa will result in one of their cars getting booted off the LM entry list, if the ACO are consistent to their own words at the start of the season (i.e. full-season entries, like at least one of the Astons, can only miss one race at most).

If they make it into the race, I wouldn't expect any of them to last past 3 hours though.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2871139)   #2574
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Eurosport has confirmed, both cars have been withdrawn from Spa.

They should go ahead and withdraw from Le Mans too to spare them a serious embarrassment and focus on getting the car ready for next year or maybe a late-season race like Petit.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 12:16 (Ref:2871144)   #2575
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
Withdrawn from Spa...

Ben
From Astoin Martin Racing's own website:

"Gaydon, 28 April 2011. Aston Martin Racing has made the decision not to contest the 1000km of Spa Francorchamps on 7th May, but instead to focus on the ongoing AMR-One testing and development programme.

The ground up developed AMR-One, Aston Martin’s new LMP1 prototype racer which features a new turbo-charged direct injection 2.0 litre straight six petrol engine experienced difficulties at the Le Mans test with the engine plasma cylinder lining. The ambitious project which is still in its early stages of a three year plan began in September last year.

David Richards, Aston Martin Racing Chairman said: “We could go to the Spa 1000km race in May, but this race meeting will set an agenda for us that doesn’t allow us to achieve what we need to accomplish. We need to complete our testing at our own pace including engine, aero and long distance tests."

I think this is a sensible move by A-M. Let's hope it gives them time to overcome the engine difficulties.

Given that they are supposed to support the whole series, do the rules allow them to revert temporarily to the Lola Aston Martin - assuming they still have two of them?