Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Sep 2016, 14:08 (Ref:3674728)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 has a real shot at the podium!NaBUru38 has a real shot at the podium!NaBUru38 has a real shot at the podium!NaBUru38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Since the IMSA circus wont be with WEC next year at cota what will the support races look like?
Perhaps Formula V8 3.5?
Old 24 Sep 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3674732)   #17
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's temporary one-off-year contract with COTA so presumably the plans for it's abandonment are imminent.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3674749)   #18
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It's temporary one-off-year contract with COTA
source?
Old 24 Sep 2016, 17:30 (Ref:3674765)   #19
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Both Sportscar 365 and I believe also DSC say that to the best of their knowledge, COTA currently is on a one year extension, and that anything longer term will depend on the outcome of the 2017 weekend.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 18:56 (Ref:3674784)   #20
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They can't possibly expect the attendance to magically and suddenly rise over the lackluster numbers of past four years, plus of course running the weekend alone weakens it even further, so it must be a temporary holdover while they consider their options for another (Grade 1 sigh) NA track.

Of course, it's quite possible they don't give rats ass about whether the event is "success" or not, but rather just keep it around because it's "convenient", just like in other instances. However I'm not quite sure they are as satisfied with the circuit management and receive as many cash bags from them as they do from other asphaltdromes around the world.

Last edited by Chiana; 24 Sep 2016 at 19:04.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 20:30 (Ref:3674805)   #21
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
They can't possibly expect the attendance to magically and suddenly rise over the lackluster numbers of past four years, plus of course running the weekend alone weakens it even further, so it must be a temporary holdover while they consider their options for another (Grade 1 sigh) NA track.

Of course, it's quite possible they don't give rats ass about whether the event is "success" or not, but rather just keep it around because it's "convenient", just like in other instances. However I'm not quite sure they are as satisfied with the circuit management and receive as many cash bags from them as they do from other asphaltdromes around the world.
Agreed.

https://twitter.com/dsceditor/status/777911261627547652

I thought this tweet said a lot about the state of the event.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3674808)   #22
Chiana
Veteran

Katja Heim, COTA’s chief operating officer, said 74,457 fans — up nearly 15 percent from last year’s roughly 65,000 — attended the three-day festival of racing.
---
COTA chairman Bobby Epstein said he likes the upward tick of Lone Star Le Mans. “It’s turning into a party,” he said. “From the camping, to the fireworks, automotive displays, food, cool cars, and family fun, it’s clear these race events are building momentum.

Lolz
Old 24 Sep 2016, 23:34 (Ref:3674838)   #23
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Were any of you there? I saw on other forums from people who were there saying the attendance was bigger than last year. Some say you didn't see many because the heat was so oppressing they were taking shade instead of staying put. Maybe they're lying, or someone is trying to make the event look bad/good.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 23:52 (Ref:3674842)   #24
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Well, Graham was on site with DSC/RLM, so if he believes what he sees/doesn't believe that COTA's numbers are credible, I'd have to believe him.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 23:56 (Ref:3674843)   #25
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Well, Graham was on site with DSC/RLM, so if he believes what he sees/doesn't believe that COTA's numbers are credible, I'd have to believe him.
He's not the only source, though. There's thousands of people who attended. I don't just take one person's view. That's why I asked if any here attended.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 03:25 (Ref:3674876)   #26
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
He's not the only source, though. There's thousands of people who attended. I don't just take one person's view. That's why I asked if any here attended.
So just to clarify, you think more than 70,000 people attended?
Old 25 Sep 2016, 07:33 (Ref:3674881)   #27
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Just so we’re all on the same wavelength, standard procedure for U.S. sporting events is to report attendance based upon the number of tickets sold, not the number of people through the turnstile.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 09:19 (Ref:3674886)   #28
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Just so we’re all on the same wavelength, standard procedure for U.S. sporting events is to report attendance based upon the number of tickets sold, not the number of people through the turnstile.
If that was the procudere in this case, TheMightyM, consider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC365
One source indicated to Sportscar365 there were only 8,500 tickets pre-sold prior to the weekend.
(source)

...which would mean (assuming SC365's source is true) the track managers are seriously telling us that there were some 60,000+ tickets sold the weekend of the event. It seems to me they are using a different, say, """metric""" (I should add some more quotes to this)
[PS: IMO it would be nice if a bored mod would move this sub-thread of the discussion to the cota race thread]
Old 25 Sep 2016, 11:00 (Ref:3674893)   #29
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems as if Silverstone now is settled as the season opener; I think the August B/H weekend would be better, but that's just me. I still think an earlier start to the season and another race before Le Mans is needed, but there must be a reason why there isn't.

The WEC is still in its infancy, so they are doing the best thing and taking small steps. You'd hope that in 5 years or so there would be another few more rounds - and hopefully less Tilke-droms.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 14:38 (Ref:3674989)   #30
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Were any of you there? I saw on other forums from people who were there saying the attendance was bigger than last year. Some say you didn't see many because the heat was so oppressing they were taking shade instead of staying put. Maybe they're lying, or someone is trying to make the event look bad/good.
I was there, and have been at COTA every year since the WEC started there. I thought the biggest uptick in attendance was between 2014 and 2015, this year it seemed very close to what I saw last year in terms of numbers of people there.

There are places to get out of the heat, the VIP suites, and behind the main grandstand in the Velocity Lounge.

FWIW, the line for the tower was much, much longer this year than i have ever seen in years past.

If the series wants a round at COTA they need to move the date, plain and simple. It will never be truly successful in September, much too hot, and college football.