Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Jun 2019, 19:03 (Ref:3914001)   #16
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Lord View Post
IMSA were making noises about a spec DTM/Super GT -style safety-cell: https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...-new-dpi-regs/

Is that still on the cards, or has it been ruled out?
I think that has been ruled out, pretty sure they will continue with the P2 chassis.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3915334)   #17
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lambo is liking the direction of the DPi class.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...gram-for-2022/

Would be fantastic to see them in prototypes.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3915385)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And the interview makes it seems like they're serious about building something, but DPi sounds like the MUCH lower investment they are looking for. But interesting to see what's in the back and how detuned that engine would have to be with hybrid. Could see a few teams trying to get a bit of factory support and marketing bump from running a Lamborghini, and WTR runs more than a few SuperTrofeo cars and was supposedly interested in other programs as well from them.

Hopefully this is accurate from S365: High voltage hybrids seem to be at the head of the field again for DPi 2.0. I can't believe WTR can whine as much as he does. I can see the P2 guys and Juncos having challenges but he tries to present the team as the leader in DPi racing and tested the Caddy but somehow runs on a shoestring budget. Makes me feel the same way for them as I do about the guys at Ford constantly crying about how heartbreaking not winning is. They were on the podium but somehow that's just too painful to even discuss? Both make me want to show them the door, racing is expensive and you don't always win.

Last edited by broadrun96; 1 Jul 2019 at 18:32.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 00:32 (Ref:3917432)   #19
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=broadrun96;3915385] I can't believe WTR can whine as much as he does. I can see the P2 guys and Juncos having challenges but he tries to present the team as the leader in DPi racing and tested the Caddy but somehow runs on a shoestring budget.

Tell me news, not history.

WT has always been like that. He races on a big chunk of OP's money, and always makes out they are the poor, hard done by team in IMSA.

Crocodile tears.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 01:26 (Ref:3917437)   #20
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!
How many teams are there in IMSA that aren't being banked off of either pay drivers or owner personal fortune? Of those, how many aren't 100% factory backed teams? I don't even think there's any that fit in the latter category besides WTR. I guess Shank is allegedly not an Acura factory team but I'm not sure anyone believes that. Juncos is only concerned about making sure they're in something where the pay driver dollars match the expenses so this doesn't concern them near as much as Wayne Taylor wondering how he's going to run his championship level professional sports car racing team if it costs $10m/year and he has $5m/year to work with.

Like it or not WTR may be the only committed IMSA team there. The GTD garage is full of pay to race mercenaries that will run anything you write a cheque for.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 05:42 (Ref:3917451)   #21
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually WTR might have a problem getting cash if the new cars are a lot more expensive because the team has to pay for the car before it can hire drivers .... In any case, while one could characterize Wayne Taylor's comments as "whining" once could also describe them as a long-time racer and team owner's comments on the proposed significant cost increase in a class which doesn't seem to attract a lot of new sponsor dollars. It just depends on one's bias. And frankly, I wouldn't doubt that it would be hard for Any team to double its costs .... and if I were a team owner I might prefer a lower-tech, cheaper alternative as well. No reason I can see to criticize Wayne Taylor because of his comments.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3917568)   #22
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Actually WTR might have a problem getting cash if the new cars are a lot more expensive because the team has to pay for the car before it can hire drivers .... In any case, while one could characterize Wayne Taylor's comments as "whining" once could also describe them as a long-time racer and team owner's comments on the proposed significant cost increase in a class which doesn't seem to attract a lot of new sponsor dollars. It just depends on one's bias. And frankly, I wouldn't doubt that it would be hard for Any team to double its costs .... and if I were a team owner I might prefer a lower-tech, cheaper alternative as well. No reason I can see to criticize Wayne Taylor because of his comments.
I would be ok with that if he doesn't at the same time lobby to be the chosen GM partner. He was and got the benefits of that. Pretending he didn't get paid handsomely to test is wanting to believe him as "poor." He was THE testing partner and put the car out front, to think GM wouldn't take him on again as the testing partner is delusional. Now GM would be better suited to run AXR and Derani as their test team but GM is lazy and goes with their past relationships.

And keep in mind this guy also runs multiple Lamborghini Super Trofeo cars and lobbied Lamborghini for the factory GTLM program to be built up. He's not the tiny team owner running out of a trailer, it's a LARGE race team.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3917683)   #23
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's see which way GM goes .... considering the lack of results WTR has been posting lately.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 21:06 (Ref:3917689)   #24
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wheel spins.... recall in early '10 SoD was the team most involved in corvette dp testings and development; then WTR was the one who first tested cadillac dpi.... guess it's up to AXR now.

BTW they deserve that, being the most succesful corvette/cadillac dp/dpi team of last 4-5 years.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 21:11 (Ref:3917690)   #25
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Let's see which way GM goes .... considering the lack of results WTR has been posting lately.

WTR dominated 2017 season because of ricky taylor huge performances and because of dallara help during the season who helped them to find the best set-up race by race. Without dallara assistance they lacked of consistence.

Infact WTR and AXR, despite using same car and same tyres have a way different suspensions set-up (according to rumors WTR tried to copy in any possible way AXR set-up this season).
Old 14 Jul 2019, 21:56 (Ref:3917701)   #26
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I would be ok with that if he doesn't at the same time lobby to be the chosen GM partner.
I'm not sure I understand the contradiction between needing factory support and trying to get factory support. Yes GM helps them out, and that's barely enough without teaming Jordan with a company CEO or a different driver every other race or having Jim France's cheque book and connections like the other Cadillacs.

WTR appears to be neither the car owner nor entrant for Super Trofeo, that's obviously pay to play.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 22:08 (Ref:3917707)   #27
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
I'm not sure I understand the contradiction between needing factory support and trying to get factory support. Yes GM helps them out, and that's barely enough without teaming Jordan with a company CEO or a different driver every other race or having Jim France's cheque book and connections like the other Cadillacs.

WTR appears to be neither the car owner nor entrant for Super Trofeo, that's obviously pay to play.
Absolute truth is, with out Jim France's $'s, the sponsors ''given to'' WTR and the GM $'s, WT would have been a spectator years ago.

These are the facts of life, but also, that is life today.
Old 9 Aug 2019, 16:27 (Ref:3922101)   #28
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 has a real shot at the podium!NaBUru38 has a real shot at the podium!NaBUru38 has a real shot at the podium!NaBUru38 has a real shot at the podium!
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...2022-timeline/

The 2022 DPi technical regulations will be released in early 2020, and on-track testing will begin in early 2021.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 01:08 (Ref:3934486)   #29
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
ACO Continuing Dialogue on Potential DPi 2022 Adoption
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...2022-adoption/
Old 15 Oct 2019, 01:40 (Ref:3934489)   #30
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
ACO Continuing Dialogue on Potential DPi 2022 Adoption
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...2022-adoption/
Sounds like they are happy to keep talking about ways to potentially boost the top class at the Marquee events in each series.