Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:32 (Ref:1038554)   #1
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New Lucchini LMP2

Just saw the pics of the Lucchini LMP2 on DSC.

Had it out on testing runs, and it looks great. And according to the article there, it will have it's "comming-out" party at Silverstone.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1038563)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It does look the business doesn't it. Lets hope it goes aswell as it looks.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1038605)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The raised ride height doesn't seem as pronounced on this car and it has a pretty long tail.

Looks very good.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 22:40 (Ref:1038659)   #4
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
The Lucchini is pretty cool...
Old 16 Jul 2004, 22:58 (Ref:1038670)   #5
therealdeal
Rookie

United States
Miami, FL
therealdeal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can someone give me a photo here please? id like to see it!
Old 17 Jul 2004, 01:04 (Ref:1038731)   #6
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
same here.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 01:19 (Ref:1038735)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, could this car be a potential threat to the Courage C65's? I sure hope so, the Courages need some competition.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 01:45 (Ref:1038742)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MulsanneMike
The Lucchini is pretty cool...
Why has Luchinni been able to make a pretty nice looking car compared to other new reg cars. Is it because it is a clean sheet design.

What are your initial impressions of the car. Looks like a hybrid of the Dome and MG to me and a big step up from their SR2 car.

Apparently Pilbeam will also have a totally new carbon chassis LMP2 ready for next season.

I particulaly like the fact that the LMP2 cars look big and purposeful, as opposed to the dinky little SR2 based cars.

Last edited by JAG; 17 Jul 2004 at 01:48.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 02:01 (Ref:1038747)   #9
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
My primary interest was in how they interpreted the new regulations regarding the management of air in the area of the side pod. Previously front diffuser air was often vented out the side via very intricate pontoon fenders, etc. LMP1/2 rules now really clamp down on how much the bodywork can be offset from the side of the car and therefore you can't have separate fenders. Looking at the top of the car, the bodywork can only be offset 150 mm from the side of the car in towards the center of the car between the wheelbase (actually from points between 415 mm from the front and rear wheel centerlines). Previously this area was completely free with no regulation governing the area.

So gone will be the obvious pontoon fenders (what an interesting design feature it has been), but I think air management similar to that can be achieved within the new rules. Only question is, with tunnels on the car, how much air do you really want to exhaust out the front/side of the car via a nose diffuser?

Regarding the Lucchini, I only saw the images briefly this afternoon at work (and can't get back into DSC now, site seems to be off line) so I really can't comment effectively. I agree, it looks more purposeful than the SR2 cars of the past and hopefully it will go as well as it looks. That the car is apparently ready and will be at Silverstone says a lot for that company. Where's Lola's LMP??

Though no one is talking about the other LMP2 car on DSC, the CvO or whatever it is called. That's really cool looking as well. Anyone know anything about that group??
Old 17 Jul 2004, 05:13 (Ref:1038792)   #10
GT1
Racer

GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought as far as SRPII went, the Lucchini was underated and I would think their P2 car would be very nice.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1038949)   #11
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing i noticed about it was the position of the airbox intake, inside the "passanger" headrest. I remember some discusiion about this on here earlier in the year (following Lola showing its lmp with a similar design), and thought that it wasn't actually legal to do that?
Maybe its different for the Converted LMP's and a scratch built one. Mike, any ideas on this?

As I understand from your description mike, looking from above, the bodywork is allowed inwards of a maximum of 150mm, so you would technically be allowed some very narrow slots for exausting air out the side?

I will admit it does look good, the double roll hoops don't look anywhere near as bad as I though they would. It deffiently strikes me as having a bit of C65 and Dome in it though. IT's quite low between the wheelarches too, although maybe thats emphasized by the raised floor.

Regards
Ed
Old 17 Jul 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1038951)   #12
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the thing about that is that time had essentially run out as far as development on the SR2, since it has ben around for at least 5 years. It was time for a new approach.

Seeing what Courage had done with the C65, this year alone, seems to have been enough for Lucchini to put forth an effort with the newer LMP rules in place.

I'm asking the same about the Lola as well, Mike. Hopefully, there'll be a test mule on the tracks by PLM-time, and a working racer by Sebring.

Last edited by veeten; 17 Jul 2004 at 12:18.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1039016)   #13
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Try Hard
One thing i noticed about it was the position of the airbox intake, inside the "passanger" headrest. I remember some discusiion about this on here earlier in the year (following Lola showing its lmp with a similar design), and thought that it wasn't actually legal to do that?
Maybe its different for the Converted LMP's and a scratch built one. Mike, any ideas on this?

As I understand from your description mike, looking from above, the bodywork is allowed inwards of a maximum of 150mm, so you would technically be allowed some very narrow slots for exausting air out the side?

I will admit it does look good, the double roll hoops don't look anywhere near as bad as I though they would. It deffiently strikes me as having a bit of C65 and Dome in it though. IT's quite low between the wheelarches too, although maybe thats emphasized by the raised floor.

Regards
Ed

I'm a bit puzzled by the location of the engine intake as well. I thought we had come to reasonably conclusion as to why it wasn't legal to put them in the secondary passenger headrest. But I've gone through the rules this morning and can't seem to relocate the justifucation...

Yes, you could manage air out the side of the car from the front diffuser via narrow slits. You could create a shadow board and you are free to do whatever you want behind that as long as it exits out an opening that is only 150 mm wide.

I'm still not thrilled about the double roll over hoop protection as I think the cars really look awkward. That in an of itself would be enough for me to move towards an closed top car. Though I'm still unsure if there would be any advantage to a closed top car aero. wise as you have the disadvantage of creating a large lifting surface (roof).
Old 17 Jul 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1039061)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
Lola better pull there fingers out or they are going to be losing even more sales to Courage, also in the US, to the likes of Luchinni and Pilbeam.

I'm sure Luchinni will offer you a very good deal on the car as well.

There has been talk of an LMP1 version of the car.

Apart from the crash test, whats stopping the car running in LMP1?

Last edited by JAG; 17 Jul 2004 at 16:30.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 16:38 (Ref:1039070)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by MulsanneMike

Though no one is talking about the other LMP2 car on DSC, the CvO or whatever it is called. That's really cool looking as well. Anyone know anything about that group??
http://www.cvoracing.com/

Last edited by JAG; 17 Jul 2004 at 16:40.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1039073)   #16
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know nothing about CvO, but as they are in LeMans, I wonder of there is any connection to Rondeau?
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1039151)   #17
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CvO looks good .. any ideea on the engines ??
but i still can't find a picture of the Luchinni

Ciao Marco
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:42 (Ref:1039176)   #18
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
There has been talk of an LMP1 version of the car.

Apart from the crash test, whats stopping the car running in LMP1?
apart from when the factory releases the specs to the chassis for general consumption, who knows?

But from the use of the Judd XV(formerly the KVA 675) 3.4L V8 in the test chassis, I'd say that sums up where the majority of them are going.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1039182)   #19
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
hmmmmm, maybe it's just me... but in looking at that head-on photo, doesn't the section between the front fenders on the CvO look similar to the WR?
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1039232)   #20
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oui!
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:17 (Ref:1039246)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
That CVO is a car for another series not LMP2.

The LMP2 will be based on it however.

Last edited by JAG; 17 Jul 2004 at 21:18.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1039253)   #22
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing about that car, I thought that from the front view, by regulations, you could not see parts of the suspension. This is not the case in this car.

Last edited by Cadete; 17 Jul 2004 at 21:37.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1039478)   #23
ChironWSC
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcester UK
ChironWSC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone post a link to a photo of the new Luchinni LMP2
car or put a photo on here.
Cv0 look a bit ugly to me. Not an LMP2 car because it looks like it got very narrow front wheels.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1039546)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
That CVO is a car for another series not LMP2.

The LMP2 will be based on it however.
Correct, it's for de V de V series. If I am right this are CN2 cars.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 14:32 (Ref:1039612)   #25
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't know where you see the beauty in this car. It sort of looks like the audi from the side.