Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 1 Aug 2000, 10:11 (Ref:27457)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Prompted by the posting about the Powertour (tm) not going to Brands etc.

It appears that in some people's eyes Brit F3 etc. will be somehow degraded because it won't be going to Brands Hatch. Can the circuit really make the difference to the status of a championship?

Surely as far as the fan is concerned the racing is more important. I'm keen to read your replies.
Old 1 Aug 2000, 10:59 (Ref:27481)   #2
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

jvilleneuve2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The racing is important, but it would be degrading British F3. Why should the worlds top f3 series be made to race at second rate circuits???. They wouldnt do it it Germany, there f3 series is a suport race to the DTM. Maybe F3 should leave the powertour, and suport the BTCC. Then maybe there would be crowds of 30,000 like in the good old days.
Old 1 Aug 2000, 11:26 (Ref:27503)   #3
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with your point Peter, except that the competion is diminished by a lack of variety of circuits to race on. If Donnington, Oulton, and Brands are missing, thaen you are left only with circuits that are flat, no blind crests and off cambers etc. Also by losing Thruxton the fastest in the country is also missing. While this isn't that important for GT's and NSC, F3 drivers should be tested by corners like Cascades, Paddock Hill, Old Hairpin and Church.

Anyway, surely the only reason this sabre rattling is going on is that BHL think Brands is going to be shut next year to get into shape for the GP, and Donnington feel the same as they think Brands won't getting planning permission. I don't understand what Thruxton's gripe is though, maybe BARC didn't like it when BRDC took over F3 to stop them running support events like the BMWCC championship alongside F3. Strange times.
Old 1 Aug 2000, 12:04 (Ref:27521)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the status of F3 will be affected..

I've just done a list of the circuits that they'll go to, seems ok to me!!

Do BHL and BARC really think that BTCC next year is going to be that good?? And make the Powertour package look rubbish.. Not at the moment is it.

They could have worked together and would have had this package:

F3
GT's
NSC / BTCC
Formula Renualts
Lotus Elises
Renault Clios
Plus guests (TVR's, minis etc)

Now that would have been a day out!!

One good thing, is that Powertour will be somewhat helped by Rockingham, they'll get a couple of rounds there no doubt.

Knockhill's quite bumpy, as is Spa...
Old 1 Aug 2000, 12:10 (Ref:27524)   #5
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good point Dan. They will miss out a little by not going to the circuits who've got a cob on, but with the ones you've mentioned it shouldn't be too bad. I must try to get to Spa for the powertour next year....
Old 1 Aug 2000, 12:34 (Ref:27529)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But its always near the Goodwood Revival meeting... Hopefully it'll move to a different slot next year and it'll be Eau Rouge here i come!!!
Old 1 Aug 2000, 12:45 (Ref:27536)   #7
Marshal
Veteran

Amen to that!
Old 3 Aug 2000, 10:29 (Ref:28021)   #8
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts - as posted in the Civil War thread in Other Classes - before I read this thread.

I would guess it has a lot to do with the need for next years BTCC to get entries - they need to attract teams from the National Saloons to the BTCC - the easiest way being to freeze out the PowerTour.

What size crowd did Donington get for last Sundays BTCC? - it didn't look that great to me - couldn't have been too large as it was easy to get out...

TOCA package has been getting poorer year by year - crowds at Donington and Oulton Park seemed very much lower this year than last

I recall the early days of the BTCC - the big crowds where only there because the manufacturers where flooding the localilty with free tickets.

I think the PowerTour needs time - it appears to be getting good TV figures - which should eventually start to pull in the crowds.

Perhaps it will end up being a good thing - if PowerTour succeeds without BHL, Donington and Thruxton, it could bring on some of the other circuits.

I hope the BRDC will eventually be able to stick two fingers up to BHL when the BTCC fizzles out...