Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 1 Apr 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2430364)   #1
Victor Meldrew
Rookie

United Kingdom
Somewhere bleak.....
Victor Meldrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New M3 Race Series

Hope don't mind me posting here but just wanting to guage level of interest for a new race series I'm thinking of organising, exclusively for E30 M3's.

Interest in the E30 M3 has never been greater and with many currently racing in various series and championships I am considering the viability of an E30 M3 race series for 2010 with the possibility of a race at the end of this season.

In order to attract cars currently competing in different levels of spec the regs would be built around a class structure according to power / weight ratio. However, the spirit of this series will be just as important as the competition and therefore the power / weight will be done on an honour basis; those submitted by competitors will be used as the basis for the class structure.

However, in order to ensure compliance, there will be no less than 2 audits during the season by the series scrutineer to verify the original figures provided. In registering for the series, competitors agree to the following:
Those who are found to be more than 10% tolerance outside their power / weight figures declared at the start of the season will forfeit their car which will be impounded and auctioned off; the proceeds being split amongst the other competitors.

Regs are in the process of being drafted and will be published shortly in order to gain feedback.

So, perhaps I should kick things off with my entry:

Power 240bhp / Weight 1290kg (incl driver)
Old 1 Apr 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2430558)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Don't the BWM car club already cater for this? Surely the last thing we need in this current climate is yet another series to dilute what grids we have already.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2430629)   #3
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
However, in order to ensure compliance, there will be no less than 2 audits during the season by the series scrutineer to verify the original figures provided. In registering for the series, competitors agree to the following:
Those who are found to be more than 10% tolerance outside their power / weight figures declared at the start of the season will forfeit their car which will be impounded and auctioned off; the proceeds being split amongst the other competitors.
I can't see that this 1. will encourage people to enter, in case they get a freak figure (not unknown for circuit weighing and rolling roads to vary differently between locations) and lose what is an expensive car; 2. is at all necessary for a series, unless their is major prize-money at stake; 3. is logistically possible for all competitors without serious outlay.

Plus.... Kumhos.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2430709)   #4
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Date check?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2430727)   #5
Victor Meldrew
Rookie

United Kingdom
Somewhere bleak.....
Victor Meldrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to disappoint, a series for E30 M3's sounds the biz to me! And how do we like the idea of cheats having their cars impounded and auctioned off? Thought of that one in the shower this morning........

Anyway, I think most realised but for any who didn't I anticipate being able to make a major announcement regarding the start of a Motability Express one make series next April.............1st
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2430782)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry if that was meant to be a funny Aprils fools joke it did'nt impress me!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2430788)   #7
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
Interest in the E30 M3 has never been greater
That should have given it away as a joke

Seriously, when it's not too far away from the multitude of other "new series" ideas that are mooted, it's not a particularly original effort.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2430812)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Too suttle for 99% of the readers here I'd say and especially me. Blimey this is the funniest April fools joke I have heard since my stupid tenant who rents my flat above the shop phoned me this morning and told me he had been burgaled!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2430830)   #9
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that a similar series already exists for E46 M3s meant that when i skim read this earlier i completely fell for it.
Though the impounding cars thing did make me go "hmmmmmmmm"
Simon
Old 1 Apr 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2430875)   #10
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
But there's been championships in the past with something written into the regs where anyone can buy someone else's car for a set sum (sale plates? did Mod Prods have them, Al?), and the idea raises it's head again occasionally, so as a variation on that the impound idea is not unfeasible.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2430932)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes we did and although it had its doubters and was eventally voted out I personally think it got the championship off to a flying start.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 22:40 (Ref:2430940)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Tell you what, have you seen those posts about the Donington tunnel how they have made it too short and it looks like all racing maybe stopped there this season, well I thought that was an April Fools joke when I read it. Thank God we hav'nt got a race their this year, it can pay off to stay under the BARC umbrella sometimes even if it costs a bit more, I really pity those who have a race booked there and may loose a round.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2431079)   #13
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Victor,is my Fiesta eligible for the series,and Al,s yank tank.

Must admit it had me going for a while,thanks Victor.

Happy new year Al,you miserable b++++r .
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 2 Apr 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2431082)   #14
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Tell you what, have you seen those posts about the Donington tunnel how they have made it too short and it looks like all racing maybe stopped there this season
Link? I'm lazy.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2431262)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Heres one, http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=108156&page=5

And another http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...770&styleid=28

And there is more in the marshals forum if you search. Hopefully not the end of my all time favourite race venue in the UK, it would be a complete travesty and not an April Fools joke at all!

Hi Eric when are you out for a run, we are putting on a Lydden race in June and I am sure you will fit in somewhere.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2431285)   #16
juliann
Rookie

juliann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Thank God we hav'nt got a race their this year, it can pay off to stay under the BARC umbrella sometimes even if it costs a bit more, I really pity those who have a race booked there and may loose a round.

Don't loose (sic) any sleep over it Al

Thank God we've got Silverstone GP & Brands GP and don't have to endure the (IMO) dustbowl and danger of Lydden.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2431462)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Don't let the new owners hear you talk about Lydden like they they will be most upset after the million odd they have spent doing the place up! :-) as for danger, what don't you like a challenge?
Old 2 Apr 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2431524)   #18
juliann
Rookie

juliann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ill take my challenges one step at a time Al. First step is to try to get round a circuit without my car breaking down or blowing up.

Hey, maybe we have more in common than I thought
Old 2 Apr 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2431538)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah we have our share of problems thats for sure, just had to have the crank repaired because the thrust washers gave out for some reason probably clutch related and am installing it back in the later model car now for Thruxton, looking forward to that one if its dry as if all goes well I should be able to get up a good head of steam down that back straight.